Goofy Facial Expressions

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Have you ever noticed people who make really goofy facial expressions when they are dancing/performing/competing?

They are obviously trying really hard, but it's funny when they can't control their expression. I don't know whether to feel sorry for them or try to help them. A good of them is the character for "Shall We Dance" (Japanese Version), who said something like, "I want to dance like Donnie Burns."

A common face you see is the open mouth and the eyes squinted.

2. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

There is this one woman who always makes the same face when she dances. She has her mouth open like an oval and her eyebrows arched up. Every time I see her she has this face on. It's rather odd. But she seems like she's having a good time so that's good.

My boyfriend makes a rather goofy face when we do one particular move. He leads me in so that we're facing each other in a closed position, then we switch places continually for however long it feels for in the music. This move requires a bit of centrifical (sp. :?: ) force and he makes the funniest face. It's like he's trying to smile, but he's using so much effort to help get us around evenly each time that it comes out looking like he's gritting his teeth. It's really funny. :lol:

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Not to be mean or anything, but the goofy facial expression that gets me the most is the "I'd better smile, no matter how fake it is" expression you often see at dance competitions. These folks look life they're in extreme pain of some sort, but they think they're smiling at the judges. Yuck!

4. DanceMentor

These same people are usually good at the Tango facial expression.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, William Pino doesn't even smile when he gets a standing ovation (maybe a quick smile, but nothing more). It looks like he is looking around to see who isn't clapping to he can add them to his list. YOu should should watch him. It's quite humorous.

On person that I have a lot of respect for is X, but I have noticed he does some rhythmic things with his face when he dances. Have you seen the "rhythmic face". (I opted not to name this person). He find of switches between the "oooh" and "ahhhh".

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Wow, I really have a very different impression of William! He seems to generally care about the audience and about providing them with a good show. He's one of the only top pros, for instance, who will do a flekerl (sp?) in an appreciative corner despite how much most judges frown on this. Or take this year's world championships – when fell down while doing a flekerl (in the middle) he then proceeded to play it up to the audience and by spinning himself about with his hands for a few more rotations, in a seated position (almost like one of those old Sit’n Spins!). He often has a very serious/intense "game face" while dancing, but I've seen him smile to the audience on a very frequent basis...

6. DanceMentor

:doh: Sorry, SDsalsaguy. I seem to have a dry sense of humor today. I didn't mean to imply anything regarding his character or respect for the audience. I just wanted to point out he is one of the few people I have seen that did not smile during a standing ovation. And...looking at the title of this thread...he is far from "Goofy"!

7. SDsalsaguy

No worries DanceMentor. The fact of the matter is that we might see very different things while watching the same event – which is exactly what you’d expect regarding the inherently subjective nature of watching performances and the arts.

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Speaking of goofy facial expressions, I know what you mean about the tango face. The last comp I went to, one of the amateur ladies was doing her tango when I got there. I was totally impressed when I saw her expressiveness, until I saw her use the exact same face for her waltz, foxtrot and quickstep. Too funny!

9. SDsalsaguy

Too true Jenn! There's a difference between practicing one's performing vs. purely canned (not to mention overl redundant) facial expressions! Sort of loses that whole "characterization of the dance" thing too, doesn't it? :lol:

10. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

my boss has the funniest face while doing samba. he just has this "I'msointomydancingrightnowaren'tIdoinggood" aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah face. he also sticks his tongue out of the corner of his mouth in smooth.