"Google Search Reveals Credit-Card Numbers"

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

This does not sound good :|

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=75&e=11&u=/nf/20040916/tc_nf/26967
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yikes! :shock:
  3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:shock: :shock: :shock:

NOT good!!!! :(
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

yeah that is not good. Just one month ago someone got my credit card number in Atlanta and used it to pay a very LARGE phone bill. Which is pretty stupid because I filed charges and the phone company simply turned over the account holders name to the police... :roll:

Anyway I usually have my credit card company cancel my card and reissue it with a different number at least once a year. At least if the number is floating around in cyberspace it probably will be an older non-working number.
  5. Pacion

Pacion New Member

That is a good idea Larinda re cancelling and having a new number reissued. The only difficulty is if you have certain transactions being charged directly to your card - eg. AOL.

I haven't tried Googling my card as yet but the potentially frustrating thing is that certain airlines, car hire companies and other organisations either give you a discount for booking online or if you want to talk to someone you have to call a 'premium rate' number that will cost you something like $1 a minute - and these organisations say on their website that the call will last between 6-15 minutes :?
  6. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:evil: :evil: :evil: I've never understood what makes these people act in such a manner... I guess they have pretty bad problems!
  7. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

It seems to me the credit card companies are going to have to work to solve this problem; we're not liable for fraudulent charges to our accounts made by others.

On a similar note, my next-door-neighbor who has been out of a job for a year, just took a job totally unrelated to what he normally does - he is now selling information. When I asked him about it, he basically can get ANY information on you (where you have lived for the past 20 years, your SS#, everything!!!) and sells it to (primarily) detectives, PI's, etc. But, I can't imagine there's a huge safeguard in place for it to get into the wrong hands.