Salsa > got kicked out of salsa class

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by chook, Sep 19, 2005.

1. clave

clave New Member

:) You can trust this board to tell it like it is... :)

It seems to me you're overreacting a tad here. It's just a dance class for pete's sake, it don't pay the rent.

If memory serves me, in another thread you asked whether you should start dancing in clubs. Which probably means the only dancing you do is in class. This tells me your estimate of your dancing skill is probably waaaay too high. A bit of humility and maturity will do you good.

If you think you've been treated unfairly, a buddy of mine got banned from a certain studio because they deemed his shoewear inappropriate (it wasn't).

2. chook

chook New Member

Post Edited...

3. alemana

alemana New Member

privates for the same rate as group class? jump on that so what!

4. yola

yola New Member

maybe if you all go together you can take turns leading and following.
    that way you'll learn even better & faster!

5. alemana

alemana New Member

hell yeah, that's what i would do if i couldn't find a partner.

6. Medira

Medira New Member

Amen!

7. SalsaAmore

SalsaAmore New Member

Chook - You have no idea - dozens of people would want the opportunity of taking private lessons for the price of a group lesson. You just need to take the initiative and ask as many people from your beginning class as possible. (You can even ask a guy and take turns leading.) It might be a bit of work asking a lot of people. But, if you really want to learn as much as you say you do, then jump on this chance and don't let it go to waste.

8. chook

chook New Member

Post Edited

9. HF

HF New Member

Hmm ... maybe you rethink someday. I have found it very helpful to dance as a follower with other men, be it beginners or the best leads in our local scene. It is a very good exercise for balance, awareness, and also you feel how your follows should feel.

However dancing with other men is not about hormones, but very much about dancing ...

10. Ray

Ray New Member

most beginners think that your are gay then.. hehhe.. but more advanced dancers thinks your the coolest..

you need to look further! :D

11. itorres

itorres New Member

What? :shock: I don't understand. How can you be too good for Beginning and not good enough for the next one. Are you taking his courses in sequence? Is there a hole in his program or are you taking some other non-sequential class due to scheduling problems?
    Same price sounds good. It seems he's sort of opening up a Beginner/Improver course for you guys...

Yes, finding a girl for practice or steady lessons is sometimes hard :cry:

Try to make it happen. It seems you'll get more personalized attention and allow you to keep dancing.
    Also, try to make arrangements with other students to meet at someone's place or club to practice. That will help you a lot. There's a differnece between class, practice and social dancing.

12. LennJS

LennJS New Member

13. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I started out in an intermediate class, as that's all that was available/convenient for me and my instructor said I had the moves, I just needed to learn the steps. Yes, I struggled at first, but I also went to salsa parties, clubs and practiced at home almost every night of the week. I finally took some beginner's classes when they opened up several months later and found they were too easy for me(yet I attended because I wanted to dance and my teacher thought it would be good to help the other students). I finally caught up to the intermediate level in 6 months (most of those students had been there over a year) but it was going to all those clubs, parties and practice that got me there.

14. ash88

ash88 New Member

Too funny, too funny.

I got my male (like me) instructor to teach me Bachata(!) in a private lesson. And yes it involved closed hold position.

Sure, it was a little uncomfortable. But damnit man, do it for the love of the dance!

I hear the tango dancers in Argentina used to dance with each other for hours before heading out to their milongas (?) (AT dancers, please excuse my cluelessness whens it comes to terminology) and dancing with ladies - and that's a really close dance too.

Check out Brujo's signature as well.

15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I felt really strange dancing close with other women at first, now it's fun to lead! (Lack of guys has forced me to do so!) 8)

16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Well you can lead me at any time.

17. chook

chook New Member

Re: 24 hours ago

Post Edited

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Re: 24 hours ago

I'll agree with ya. You even said you didn't consider yourself agood dancer... :wink: :)

19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I'd rather have YOU lead ME! :D

20. SalsaAmore

SalsaAmore New Member

Lenn, could you explain what you mean that his stories don't go well together?