Salsa > got kicked out of salsa class

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by chook, Sep 19, 2005.

1. brujo

brujo New Member

Brujo advices you to read his signature...

2. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

And what's wrong with learning to lead and follow with someone of the same gender? What are you afraid of?

3. Ray

Ray New Member

getting a name as gay perhaps ?

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

balderdash. Afraid of what people call ya?!! :shock:

5. DancingMommy

What's the matter with being called happy?

6. Ray

Ray New Member

i am happy !? :roll:

7. lynn

lynn New Member

i think the OP has expressed his preference of dancing with girls many times - that may be one of the reason.

8. DancingMommy

As the director of the franchise studio said to one (female) student after her teacher quite leaving no male teachers in the building... "We are under contract to teach you how to dance, not provide you with a male instructor."

Instruction is one thing... Dancing socially is another. It matters not what gender one's teacher/practice body is. Besides which, I think a man can only really get a fantastic grip on leading if he has to follow every once in a while.

9. lynn

lynn New Member

that's precisely the point - i have both male & female teachers b/c the way i see it, if i only learn from a male (or female) teacher, i'd always be getting only 1/2 of the picture.

10. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

I train primarily with the female of a swing couple. But often times (for no extra charge thank goodness) her husband cum dance partner joins her in our private lessons and I get a lot of extra instruction from both sides...it's great.

I do understand the better than beginner not good enough for intermediate concept....many studios I've been to have a pre-intermediate level for those who know the basics but need to get them up to par for the intermediate level.

What's bothering me about this thread and others by chook is the constant reference to liking girls, wanting girls to like him, and wanting to hold them. I understand that's what gets a lot of people into dance and there is a lot of sultry and sexiness to dance..but that shouldn't come into play in a classroom setting. It's a little creepy for a women to be dancing with someone who is more interested in "holding" her.

11. DancingMommy

leftfeetnyc - I agree with you.

Edited to add: although meeting/holding girls might be the motivation for taking a dance class, it is a little weird to have to hear that is the reason (esp if one is a girl in the class, kwim?)

12. lynn

lynn New Member

well said!

13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

leftfeetnyc just stay away from chook and come and dance with me. And if you wanna do WCS I'm happy to follow too. :wink: :)

14. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Are we going to get you into Manhattan sometime soon?

There's a WCS party being held Friday...we've rented the top floor of a great Times Square bar...more a party than a dance, but still fun (details at strictlywestieNYC.com)

Anyone in NYC is welcome to join us! I think there's a bit of tango and lindy on the DJ list.

15. Ray

Ray New Member

too bad its too far away .. maybe on some NY congress ? :p

16. dancingdoc

dancingdoc New Member

I totally agree with the above statement. The first thought that came to my mind when I read the title of the thread was "they kicked out James". Now "James" is a guy in our local group class who makes ALL the girls feel uncomfortable. He holds them a little too long, a little too close, and is down right creepy. The ladies are all very polite, but they can barely tolerate the group classes and certainly will not social dance with him. I'm not saying that is why chook was excused from his class, but sometimes people are too polite to tell you the real reason. And the PERCEPTION that someone is too touchy/clingy is what matters despite any malignant or innocent intent. Just my 2 cents. And no "James" has not yet been asked to leave, but I may tell him to be careful when dancing with my gal. :evil: :evil:

17. jon

jon Member

I started dancing in order to meet people, not in order to dance, per se. So did many other people I know, male and female alike. Now, if I hadn't found additional reasons to do it, I wouldn't have stayed with it for long - especially since it turns out to be a poor way of meeting women interested in anything beyond dancing.

Nonetheless, reality is that there wouldn't be much of a dance scene if we excluded people solely for having this motivation.

18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I think you're both right. It's a pretty common motivation, but not very many people have the wherewithal to admit it. :wink: :lol:

19. mambochino

mambochino New Member

I made a mistake to let a beginner to stay in my intermediate class once and I would not do it again. Why? Cuz this particular student stop me every 30 seconds to ask me "can u do that again", "can you explain that again" .....

basically I scacrificed the whole class jsut because he reminds me of me (attitude) when I was younger.

20. Ray

Ray New Member

everywere = salsa.. no panic .. the world did not fall yet!
    8)