Salsa > got kicked out of salsa class

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by chook, Sep 19, 2005.

1. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Have you broken both legs?

Have you hands been cut off?

Did a doctor tell you that you can never dance again?

No?

Then you can still salsa..there's always a way too do the things we love. If we enjoy them that much we find a way to make them fit into our schedules.

Try asking your boss to leave a little early one day a week for a class? Most bosses are not evil people and will agree to this.

Find a different studio? None in your area, maybe you could travel a little further.

Weekend classes?

And as the suggestion has been said...go social dancing...You learn a lot from getting out on the floor and it will get you ready for the intermediate class that better fit your schedule. Plus, what are you taking classes for if not to be able to do something you love and actually use it? People don't take college courses in subjects that have no passion or relation to something they can do later in life...I view dance classes the same way. People taking dance classes as a form of exercize aren't the time to get that bothered by it no longer fitting in their schedule.

None of those options work? Ask a few people from the classes you've been to if they're interested in getting a practice group together (at a time that works for you).

2. Ray

Ray New Member

amen! :roll:

3. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

That's how I got started, I agree...but my concern was more with the comments (repeatedly in other threads as well) about wanting to hold girls...There's a fine line between wanting to meet people and being creepy about meeting people.

4. Pebbles

Pebbles New Member

Did I miss something? Your instructor has offered to teach you private lessons for the price of a group class. Not only you can still dance salsa, you are getting a much sweeter deal too. Most of us would jump up for joy at such an offer, but instead you complain about it. Can't really blame people for wondering about your real motives.

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

There is some truth to this. Privates for the cost of group lessons shows that the instructor really cares for his students in a way that most wouldn't, doing teaching at a loss in this case.

6. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

What it basically sounds like *to me* is that the OP is POd because he isn't going to be able to get to dance with a girl during class.

I maintain that *class* is about *learning*. Social dancing is about the girl (or guy as the case may be). Class is not the place to try to get your huggy fix. That's *not* what it is designed for. And if you think that is what class is for, well then.... I dunno.

Seriously.

7. lynn

lynn New Member

if i remember correctly, didn't the OP mentioned that his group rate is $3-4/hour?? Makes me wonder how the instructor is going to survive with that low of an hourly wage.....

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Where's the OP from? That might make a difference, as might the size of the class. 8)

9. africana

africana New Member

Ayuh :!: (lol DP)

10. pygmalion

Hmm. True.

I have to wonder out loud, though, whether there aren't also women who get into dancing to meet guys (and perhaps to be held?) Not everybody gets into or stays into dance, to dance, IMO. *shrug*

(Or do they save that longing for their unsuspecting dance teachers? :twisted: :lol: )

11. lynn

lynn New Member

i'm not sure, but if he's from a more isolated area, wouldn't that also mean the pool of dancers is even smaller?? I just thought it's awfully generous for the teacher to offer private lesson @ the rate of $3-4/hour - i pay about 15-20 times as much!

12. pygmalion

True. But people in some lower-income countries pay what seems to me like a pittance for dance classes. But to them. it can be very expensive. Everything's relative, IMO. 8)

13. lynn

lynn New Member

judging by the # of threads that talks about secret crushes on the dance teacher - i think the advice "always read the fine print" is making a lot of sense now :lol: :lol: !

14. lynn

lynn New Member

oh, i'm pretty sure he lives in U.S., just perhaps not a major city - in that case, while the price should be cheaper, it shouldn't vary by THAT much...

15. pygmalion

Ah. 8) Maybe the class size is large or the venue is cheap? Or the teacher is using penetration pricing to get people hooked before he ups his rates? *shrug*

16. lynn

lynn New Member

eh...i highly doubt the penetration pricing will work in the dance market - there are too many substitutes. Now, it'd be different if the teacher was some big name isntructor - but then again, there wouldn't be a need to lower the price.

I remember the OP used a hypothetical example of 8 students in the class - that might be the avg # of students there.

17. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Oh, absolutely!

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

So sory to hear that. You can get a video, and practice with a partner still. You also can go to the clubs and learn by watching.

19. saludas

saludas New Member

How did you plan on using your salsa lessons? 50 divided by 4 is $12.50. I'm sure it would cost you that much just to enter a club....

20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes, really. I'd expect to spend that at least that much (the $12.50 not the $50) going out for an evening, with a cover charge for a club, paying for parking, and drinks. Let's not even mention buying dinner. Shoot, it's about $8 to $10 just to go to the movies. $12.50 doesn't seem that unreasonable; if nothing else I'd look upon it as a good investment.