Salsa > got kicked out of salsa class

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by chook, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Some clubs / Latin nights are free. Tuesday and Thursday nighst are free where I live.

2. lynn

lynn New Member

is the "other class" referring to beginner's class?? Have you never taken the beginner's class before and went straight to intermediate? If that's the case, you really should try to start @ the beginning. You have mentioned in several threads that you find it difficult to remember all the patterns and to catch up to the class and that may be b/c you skipped the very basics.

3. Medira

Medira New Member

Saturday nights where I live...

4. genEus

genEus New Member

Hmm. All the clubs are free where I live. 8) I consider that unfortunate, though, because you get a lot of people there that you'd otherwise be afraid to meet on the street. I'd rather pay a $5-$10 cover charge and know that that at least filters out the lowest of the low.

But, still, $12.50 isn't that much for lessons. Remember, it's what it's worth to you. If you feel that you need to cut some other expenses in order to afford your lessons, you have to weigh those options. And, yes, dance lessons are considered a luxury, from what I gather, right?

5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

One place that has salsa on Tuesday, $7 cover plus additional charge for beginner class, I think the charge is $5.

Another place that has salsa on Saturday, free for ladies, but there is a charge for men, I'm not sure what it is though. There are no dance lessons given there, though.

I expect to pay a charge at the place where I've go out C&W dancing, too. At least the lessons there are free.

6. chook

chook New Member

Post Edited

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

12.5 is a fair price...over here... To each his own.

Just today I saw an add for a ballroom danec where the men get in free!! :cheers:

8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

It's done all over Asia. The beer gardens here charge $27 for women and $32 for men. Some clubs give discounts to women. At the nice hotel where I always stay while in Seoul, Korea, they have a "men only" gym.(It is a Korean-owned hotel) On another note, in Asia we also have "women's only" cars on the trains. This is good as there is an unruly number of gropers over here. I have heard about these trains in India as well.

9. itorres

itorres New Member

Even less... He mentioned 8-9 classes for $35, so about $4 per class, but the class is 2 hours :shock: so $2 per hour.

I think chook is in college...the class may be some sort of university sponsored thing. The first time I took dance lessons - Disco - :shock: :) it was a university program like that... If the teacher is a student too, 20 people at $2 is $40/hr for a fun part-time college job. Beats working at the cafeteria. :)

chook being in college would explain budget constraints for Salsa activities :)

chook: I think people have asked and I haven't seen replies for:
    What city/country are you at?
    Are you in college?
    Did you take the beginner course?

10. africana

africana New Member

because if men are gonna hold these women oh so close, especially the little bitty girls, and be all romantically creepy on them, the club has to make sure they have enough girls coming thru so they never run out, those girls need some incentive :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

ok sorry couldn't resist :p

11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

:eyebrow: Maybe you need a pet.

12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Yeah, most of my(Japanese) girl friends are itty-bitty. It's good for me to practice my leading with them, as they are about a foot shorter than me!

13. Not having all the details, it's hard to say, but seems like by politely asking Chook and a couple other classmates to leave, the teacher could be doing a couple of things:

1) making sure the entire class is at a similar level so that they can do sufficently advanced steps, etc.

and/or

2) conveniently creating a semi-group private class for himself where are the people who were kicked out are now advised to go ... with even a small group all paying group rates, that equals a private lesson fee for the teacher anyway ...

Again, not knowing all the facts it's hard to say anything for sure ...

Though, I have to say I agree with the other posters who mentioned that going to class where the main attraction is holding girls is a bit ... disturbing. :?

14. macha

macha New Member

Hmm. I'm 200 pounds. I don't much care for holding small Japanese girls. I prefer mine husky, like truckers or lumberjacks.

15. tacad

tacad New Member

chook, as someone who's been through this, turn down the rhetoric a notch. You've even got cocodrilo giving you the raised eyebrow. That's quite an accomplishment. Don't say things quite so explicitly. Keep it on the level of something like "Women enjoy the romance in a dance." Or "I enjoy romancing a woman through dance." And leave out the "itty bitty little ones" altogether. Trust me on this one. :lol:

Seriously, just trying to help. :)

16. macha

macha New Member

tacad, you're an excellent driver! :wink:

17. tacad

tacad New Member

Thanks, macha. :)

18. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I was just thinking the same myself :!:

Rosa :)

19. lynn

lynn New Member

huh?? you live where i live :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ???!!! Given all the salsa classes i've been too - you probably won't be able to find a more cheaper place.

brujo is in vancouver too - maybe PM him?

20. saludas

saludas New Member

Eeeewwww