Tango Argentino > Gotan Project

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by DanceMentor, Oct 12, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

i just can't say enough about the Gotan Project. If you dance tango and you are looking for something different, something cool...you have got to listen to the Gotan Project.

2. DanceMentor

Still loving this CD! When I was at Hotlanta, they used one of the tracks (I think "Last Tango in Paris", for International Rumba, so it's not just Tango.

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

So are you referring to the "Triptico/Last Tango" in Paris CD listed on the website? If not, then which one?

What exactly do you love about the CD? Which tracks represent what you love about teh music on the CD?

If it is "Triptico" where did you get it from as Amazon and a couple sites I tried to check it out does not have it? I always like to listen to stuff first!!If not "Triptico" then which CD?

THanks!! :)

4. lindy jihad

lindy jihad New Member

gotan project rocks.
    i dj this sort of music in my free time.
    you might also want to check out Madrid de los Austrais

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

This probably is a dumb question, but I noticed you put vj when explaining your name derivation in the "name" thread...I know that I should know this, but my head is not too clear at the moment. What is the difference between vj and dj? Does a vj handle both the lights and music, but specializes in putting on fantastic light shows, while a dj handles both lights and music, but specializes in music?

6. lindy jihad

lindy jihad New Member

no, not a dumb question at all.
    its kinda stupid of me to put down vj. that is what i am going to school for.
    in this case vj stands for 'visual journalism', pretty much photo journalism.
    i cant work lighting to save my life (unless in a photo situation), and the music i dj is all chill music.
    but the term you are thinking of is viedo/visual jockey.
    sorry for the confusion

:)

7. will35

will35 New Member

We have gotten a little away from the Argentine Tango heading on this one, but that is okay. I have tried to listen to some of the Gotan Project that I found on their website, but I have a firewall problem. There is no problem with any music that you or anybody else likes. Interesting music is never a problem. The problem is that DJ's sometimes don't know anything about their audience and they play music that has really very little to do with dancing Argentine Tango. A group of people show up at a milonga expecting to hear Argentine Tango, and they are not happy when they don't get it. There is an incredible amount of variety within just the orchestras of the Golden Age of Tango. Even after the Golden Age, there are orchestras that play danceable music. There are copy cat orchestras today that record with good fidelity playing in the style of particular old orchestras. I can think of Gente de Tango and Sans Souci off the top of my head. They are good, but they are not Di Sarli or Miguel Calo. For that, you need to go to the source. I don't even mention orchestras before the Golden Days. They are also great.
    I like DJ's who actually listen to the music and like it. It also helps if they like the dancers, since they work for the dancers. I really, really dislike DJ's who think their job is to "open minds" of the dancers. What pedantry! Yet, it is fairly common that people want to change the Argentine Tango to fit themselves. The Tango is absolutley perfect. It needs no changing.
    I have listened to so called "Orchestral Tango" and "Concert Tango" and a few other varieties, but it is not for dancing the Argentine Tango. Some of it is good music, some of it is bad. And that is all.

8. DanceMentor

Yes, certainly the Gotan project has taken some of the elements of traditional Argentine Tango music and created a unique style. I understand how some people would choose not to dance to this music (even though it does incorporate the bandoneon in a very "Argentine" way). But I really like it, and not just for dancing. I am certainly not an expert on Argentine Tango music (but I have danced to it for many years), and I appreciate your desire to make sure that people are aware of some of the truly great tango music that is available.

9. will35

will35 New Member

If you like Gotan Project, you might like Bajofondo Club, too. Try a search on amazon or Zivals.com.

10. lindy jihad

lindy jihad New Member

Astor Piazzolia Remixed
    Just picked it up, its really good.
    features Koop, Nuspirit Helsinki, 4Hero, 2 Banks of 4, as well as others.
    if you like Gotan, you will dig this.

11. DanceMentor

12. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I'm used to classic tango being played at the milonga I go to on Sundays, but when I went to the Tuesday milonga, the DJ played something really different. I've done some Googling and found out it was one of Gotan Project tracks (Santa Maria Del Buen Ayre, to be precise). I watched a couple dance to it and it looked sooooo cool... :D

13. Cats

Cats New Member

Danced to LiberTango

I reached a new plateau in my dancing, I lead a lady to Libertango and she said it was pretty good. (Secret I lead almost all turns).

14. DanceMentor

I understand Gotan is due out with a new album shortly. It will be called "Inspiracion" and is due out September 28th.

15. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

This can be pre-ordered on HMV and Virgin websites (if you're in the UK)
    Virgin is cheaper.