Salsa > Gotta love gossip.

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by thespina13, Jan 7, 2007.

1. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Tell ya what. Let's each make up a rumour about ourselves, and see how far it travels. I wonder if it can come back to us as fast in the virtual world as gossip goes around in the salsa scene?

God. I'm glad I have loyal friends. Otherwise I might obssess about the stuff that's said about me. Waitiminit. I sort of am. I've gotta learn to stop that!

2. BugBear

BugBear New Member

I can remember coming across a salsa rumor only once. It was something about my someone saying that he is going to open a salsa club and my instructor will be his partner. But that was so ridiculous that nobody believed it.
    And I'm just wondering what have people been saying about you? :)

3. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Many many years ago I was at a party at the University of Chalmers. It was my first year and since they have a special "rite" for newbies I wasn't allowed to go for all parties yet.

However....there was too little ladies at one party. Me and a friend was invited. At the drink someone asked if I was the little sister of "Dojjan" one of the older guys. Everyone knew he had a sister in my age (as a matter of fact she was a classmate to me). Everyone said the "big brother" and I looked the same (i.e - the same nose).

A guy asked if this was true..."noo I said, we are not siblings - as a matter of fact he is my lover" I said hugging and kissing Dojjan intensive like a femme fatal. Everyone laughed since I exaggerated a lot. Then of course I told everyone that I was joking....

For a period I understood that some of these person really thought Dojjan and I where lovers. Then and then the rumour poped up.

20 years later I meet one of the guys from this party. He still thought I was the little sister of Dojjan :)

/Luc

4. sweavo

sweavo New Member

I was briefly painted as the local "player" ... because I had 2 girlfriends in 5 years ...

5. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i'm an angel

6. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

LoL... Sabor, you're awesome.

People (I think on one of the dance teams) have said I'm "creepy" just recently. Because I flirt. Heavily. And openly enjoy it. Of course I won't flirt with anyone who's uncomfortable, but heck, it's FUN. I've brought my hubby out to the bar with me before and he's gotten a kick out of watching it too. I knew it was bound to happen here sooner or later. I just caught wind of it yesterday. I'm "creepy" cuz I "hit on" people and I'm married and no-one knows what's up. It bothers me that this bothers people, and it bothers me that there' a group out there who won't dance with me or look at me now for some reason. the rumous has obviously reached a certain level of intensity. Whatever. I still have my core group of loyal friends who know me well, and I also know that it will die down too, if I refuse to be affected by it. Tell ya what though, the temptation to walk away from the scene entirely is pretty big. I may just take a break from it. I don't know if I CAN dance and not be provocative. It's just who I am. I KNOW! I should go there in a button-up blouse buttoned chastely to the neck, no makeup, a little sweater and a conservative skirt or pants. Maybe even some dorky glasses. Maybe I'll write "please ask me to leave if I flirt with you" on my back, too. And I'll spend the whole night "toning it down". Bwahahahaha!

Silly people.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

whattadrag... it's no fun to be caught in a gossip web.

aw, to heck with'em... go dancing dressed like a pregnant nun & really get the tongues wagging!
    ;)

8. noobster

noobster Member

I can be a big dance-floor flirt too. I'm of the opinion that flirtation is fun and good for lots of things besides initiating/sustaining a serious relationship; but everyone's level of comfort about this is different. You're lucky that your husband doesn't mind the flirting. He is the one who matters. Given that, I would try to ignore the wagging tongues.

You could consider giving them a little territory to the extent that it will make your own life easier. If you can quiet the gossip by such minimal changes as avoiding your most low-cut tops, it might be worth the sacrifice.

Whatever you do, don't walk away from salsa. You're having too much fun for that, no? Are you really going to let some nasty gossip deprive you of something you love? Keep in mind that people will always find something to talk about; next month doubtless someone else will be the unfortunate victim. Try to stick with your friends for now; they are your shield and they will minimize the psychic impact of the yakity-yakking.

9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh it doesn't take writing down on here to get rumors started! I could tell you all kinds of stuff that I had supposively done, and the whole time I kept thinking to myself... I would be a much happier woman by now if that were really the case lol! And I might have gotten a few things free as well lol ;)! Good grief.:D

10. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

mister cellophane? great lyrics, but i wouldn't have you'd characterize yourself that way... your personality is certainly very noticeable through your posts, and you've got a strong backbone. how could that not translate to the dance floor and/or community?

i don't think there are any rumours about me... none has made it back to my ears, anyway.

don't really want to start any, either. :)

12. Sabor

Sabor New Member

definitely.. that too .. jajaja

13. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh you would know if you had any rumors out about you. What's interesting to me is that rumors are started by people that always get told on in the end. I couldn't do that to someone, but that's how I was raised though. A rumor is like a lie, and my parents would have swapped us a good one if they had caught us doing anything of the sort, and you didn't want to get swapped by my dad that's for sure. ;)

14. noobster

noobster Member

Thespina, you could also take it as a compliment. It means people are noticing you. And nobody notices the blah dancers. ;)

15. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Hmm... I never thought about rumors like that before lol. That's an interesting way to look at them. It's also very true, but what could be that exciting about my life? I mean even the exciting parts aren't all that exciting. ;)

16. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

LoL.. yeah! I'm going to take it that way.

I've also beeing trying to come up with some good things to write on a T-shirt. Thinking about

a) "No Flirt Zone" inside a circle with a slash
    b) If you can read this you're standing too close. Come closer. But don't tell anyone, for crying out loud.
    c) If I hit on you, please ask me to leave.
    d) "Creepy" on a tight shirt
    e) "shameless"
    f) "Inappropriately winking since 1976"
    g) "If I haven't slept with you yet, I'll meet you in the bathroom at 1:15"
    h) Dare ya to buy me a tequila.

I'm almost thinking I'll do it. Tee hee.

17. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I like B lol! That's my favorite. You could do something like....

If you can read this you're standing too close.
    Come Closer.
    But don't tell anyone, for crying out loud!!!

Or something like that to where the first line is small and the rest you can vary with size and color lol! ;)

18. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Hah. How bout let's just be ourselves and see how many wrong conclusions people who have never seen my face, save for bad pictures, living hundreds to thousands of miles away can draw based on their lack of comprehension skills. Trust me- word travels faster over DSL connections than it ever could from mouth-to-ear in a real dance scene.

19. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I like f - Inappropriately winking since 1976! lol

20. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Dood. Yeah.

I talked to a friend of mine today and he was like "you know what? Just keep on smiling at everyone, dance with your friends, and keep having fun." Told me not to change my style and forget the whole thing. He was more than understanding about how cliquey this particular scene is. Felt good to hear some reason. I'm especially weirded out by how this is bothering me, seeing as how it happened in the States too, in my cradle scene. So whatever!

Variation on b) If you can't read this, you're not close enough. (in teeeensy weensy little letters)

Hasn't that one been done?

The guy who originally told me today told me MORE, saying that it was way more than one person saying this. I was like "what, did you go around and take a poll??" Guess I'm the gossip du jour. Lol... so funny. He's trying to be helpful, yet he keeps saying stuff he ought not to. He was like "I'm just calling today to see if you're ok... wanted to check up on you." After I brushed it off I started talking abou tit a bit more and that's when he told me about the great number of people saying this (which definitely clues me in that it's one of those gossip things. A tightly-knit group of people will always share the same, well-discussed opinion of their favorite target), and I started to feel ****ty again. So he said again he was just making sure I was ok, and I was like "well no, I'm not ok, really. But I'm working through it. Thanks for asking." And then he got kind of dismissive and had no idea what to say, and that was just sort of it. Click. End of conversation. LoL.. Heaven forbid I'm human and have real feelings. Isn't it funny how the helpers can be just as painful as the hurters? Lots of people are there to tell me to not feel bad. Can't wait until I actually honestly don't. Well, I'm getting there. Glad I can vent.