Country and Western > Grammy Awards Show 2007

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Steve Pastor, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Anyone else catch the one song tribute to Bob Wills?
    Anyone else think about how you would dance to "San Antonio Rose"?
    Does anyone know if that was Wills' second version of the song, which I think is properly titled "New San Atonio Rose", or really the original first recorded in the late 30s?
    Any comments?
    Anyone else think that "Desparado" would be a good song for Night Club Two Step?

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I played the first version of SAR that popped up
    http://www.homestead.com/deesongs/sanantonio.html
    and tried a 2 Step to it . . . though I did it with a slight hitch, it reminded me of the good old days when the guy did a 2 Step with his R hand up on the girls L shoulder, and their other joined hands did the "wax on, wax off" thing - you know, like John Travolta in Urban Cowboy???

What dance are you thinkin'????

Desparado . . . funny you mention it. I'm in the process of learning a version of that in a jazz style - mostly jazz timing and jazz chords instead of the normal "as written" chords, etc.

It does work as a NC2S though . . . I just tried that too!

3. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I agree on "Desperado." One of my favorite songs.

4. Steve Pastor

There's been a 6 count vs 8 count thread goin on in the swing section, and it made me think tap step step step - 4 counts repeat each bar. That's based on what the drummer was playing. What I heard was a fairly soft beat on each quarter note. Course, I usually don't do tap step step step.
    I don't know. I taped it, and will probably watch/listen again tonight.

I was very impressed with Carrie Underwood. I'm not an American Idol fan so I really had no idea where she came from until last night.

Maybe I can get them to play "Desperado" at Bushwhackers.
    Vince, maybe you will record and post your jazz version when it's ready for the public.

Aha! Here's a page where you can sample both versions.
    http://www.amazon.com/San-Antonio-R...ef=dp_tracks_all_1/002-5321724-1570400#disc_1

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

It's defintely a tough song to dance "something" to . . .

I picked Underwood from the get-go . . . thought she already had "a finished" singer sound . . . ah to be so young and so famous . . .

I just want to write the dang songs!

I needed to make a jazzy rendition of Desparado, as our singer is a female, and she has a wide range of voices that she uses . . . she does a good Sheryl Crow (all songs) and Sarah McLachlan "Hold On" . . .

and don't foget . . . we play blues, rock and roll, and C&W!

6. Steve Pastor

After listening again to the way they did "San Antonio Rose" on the show, I'd be quite comfortable doing a two step to it. It would be a bit of a challenge to do either WCS, double two, or shuffle, but it could be done.
    I was surprised when I heard "Hotel California" again. The drummer laid down a pretty consistent quick quick Slow - Night Club Two Step to my ears. But, I think we all know the lyrics so well, that, at least for me it would be hard to resist dancing to that part of the music sometimes. (It's that darn Argentine Tango that made me this way. You've been warned.) I haven't heard the recording for years. Wonder how they do percussion?

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I was impressed as to how well Rascal Flatts played 'Hotel California' - they're talented musicians!!!

8. !robert

!robert New Member

I am one of bob wills fans.

9. softarea51

softarea51 New Member

San Antonio Rose is a masterpiece of Bob Wills.