Great Dance Venues

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Spitfire, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

So which venues either in your local area or outside of it do you consider to be tops?

Mine are outside of here - my favorite is the Orion Ballroom in Kirkland, Washington in the Seattle area. While this is a studio it is more like a ballroom in both design and atmosphere; never seen another quite like it. The Century Ballroom in downtown Seattle is a top Swing and Salsa spot. This one is a ballroom and not a studio; It is in a very old building and rather fancy. It has avery nice old time ambience. Some Tango is also done here.

The Paragon Ballroom in the Phoenix area is another fave. It has a very large floor. The owner use to teach at two of the studios I took lessons from when I started out some 22 years ago. I like to take the 2 hour drive every so often for their Friday evening dance.

I want to travel to San Diego next year. I understand that the Champion Ballroom is awesome. Many people I know here have been to the Champion to include the owners of my studio who tell me that it's a fabulous place - I'll be sure to check it out while I'm there.

Don't know where all I'll travel to in the future, but would be interested in knowing what all is out there.

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

The Fox theater here in Atlanta is worth visiting. People still have dances there on occasion. My gradparents used to dance to the Big Bands there after WW2. ballroom inside the Fox is called the Egyptian Ballroom.

Here is an interesting read about the History of the Fox.

3. Spitfire

What is interesting about that is that there is an old movie theatre in downtown Tucson that is also named the Fox. Actually it closed down and was boarded up in 1974, but now it's being restored and is scheduled to re-open in 2004. It originally opened in 1930. 8)

One of my grandmothers told me long ago that as a teen she skipped school to see a movie there which was Dracula, the original with Bela Lugosi and it scared her so much that she never watched another horror picture. :lol:

4. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Good thread Ghostdancer!

A couple favorite Boston area haunts where this Owl is known to frequent:

Swing City www.wannadance.com

Pros: Large spacious AC'd VFW Hall in Cambridge MA that has live bands every other week, EC Swing mainly, very friendly crowd! Great DJ'd music too!

Cons: Can get VERY crowded at times, getting collided into by other couples happens a bit more than average some nights.

Super Shag www.supershag.com

Pros: Nicely appointed studio in Waltham MA (fittingly above a piano store). Mixed ballroom (Traditional, Latin, Swing, Hustle), very friendly crowd, large floor, occasional theme events.

Cons: None I can think of right now.

Tempo Dance Center www.havetodance.com/tempodancecenter

Pros: Studio in Brighton MA, has fun Hustle nights, with other Latin & Ballroom mixed in. Mostly friendly crowd. Great selection of tunes to Hustle to.

Cons: VERY low ceiling and two posts you have to watch out for.

5. Spitfire

Owl,

As I mentioned in earlier post I've heard a lot about Boston's dancing. There was a lady from Boston at the swing dance about a year ago who was filling me in on it and during my visit to the Seattle area last August I danced with a lady who also was from Boston who felt that Seattle's scene wasn't all that great as compared to Boston - and Seattle's dance scene iz amazing!

6. Spitfire

Let's add something - the studio(s) you attend...

Let's add something - the studio(s) you attend...

I do most of my dancing at a place known as the Arizona Ballroom Co. It opened back in November 1996 and has the largest floor of any studio in town. :D

It is only one of two studios that hold open dancing to the public and there all a total of five studios here. The ABC though is the only one to do open dancnig on both Friday and Saturday. :D

The monthly swing and generally every other month USABDA dances are held downtown at the Armory Park Senior Center - very large floor with a stage for bands performing live music. I guess the people who run it never wanted to take down the Christmas tree one year. While they remove the decorations it is kept up and decorated during the year with Valentines in February, St. Patricks stuff in March and so on. :eek:

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

What a great thread. Anyone know of really great dance venues in their area?

8. Spitfire

Forgot that I had posted this. Well, nothing up here where I live now. But just to "update"...

If in the Phoenix area the best ballroom venue is probably the new Shall We Dance studio in Tempe which opened last year. Another good one which also opened recently is the FatCat in north central Phoenix. The Paragon in Tempe which I mentioned when I started this topic doesn't get the big crowds anymore from what I'm told, I haven't actually been to their Friday dance in two years.

The GPSDC in Phoenix does their Sunday WCS dance at the VFW which is a pretty good place, gets crowded though and at the start it can be kind of hard to dance, but always fun.

9. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

i wish. :( here is a huge latin population, so everything is about salsa.

no ballroom. :mad:

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

admitting a bias b/c I dance there...Starlight ballroom in Indy is a huge and fabulous floor

11. Spitfire

And Flagstaff now has a monthly dance. There are no studios as such there, but this dance is held in an adequate ballet, tap and jazz studio and gets a decent crowd, and for me shorter travel time.

12. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

More info, please? I'm only in Indy once a year (August 13-16 for '09) but I'm always looking for good places to dance when I travel. Preferably not Saturday night.

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

they have friday night dances...I would google the place...it shows up with the info that you are seeking...they are on the north end of town

14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Willowbrook Ballroom in SW(I think? :) Chicago Suburbs is definitely a fun venue with a lot of history, even if not best floor technically. Rather long drive from here though, last time I went was a Friday and with construction on 94 actually took something like 2-3 hours to drive there. :/

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I was there once, and I thought the floor was nice. It was a few years ago though.