Salsa > groping

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Salsaonone, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

On most occasions after I have danced with a follower, I give her a hug to thank her for dancing with me and then leave her after walking her off the floor. Well the other night I did just that and this particular follower (will not mention if she was attractive or not) pinched me in the rear end!! I was shocked! :shock: I was half angry and half flattered. But mostly in shock. I didn't know how to respond (did she really do what I think she just did?? :) ), so I just ignored it and walked off. That was actually the first time that happened to me in the few years that I have been dancing salsa. Now, what would you as a guy would have done, there is something in me that said that wasnt proper and something in me that said "thank you may I have another".

2. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

I think everyone gets groped at some point if they are dancing....you just have to go with how well you know/like the person and the context of the grope.

As a follower, I have been groped many times on the dance floor when going through spins from open to close and vice versa. While I can handle goofing off from my friends, there are other people and times where it is very inappropriate. The hard part is deciding if it's a mistake (sometimes body parts and hands collide) or intentional. If it happens repeatedly I've given warning and when that doesn't work a sharp elbow to the sternum does the trick....that and I never dance with the guy again. Of course that isn't so practical for a guy getting groped.

If it's accidental or a one time deal, I tend to ignore that it happened. I'm out dancing to have a good time and getting worked up over a grope is counterintuitive.

3. Beto

Beto Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Well, now see that depends. Is this partner someone you have even an inkling of interest in? Or just an acquaintance and/or friend from the dance scene? If it's the latter, and you were just amused by it, then don't dwell on it. If it's the former or someone that made you, at some point, go "hmm, I wonder if she...", then enjoy it and and just keep dancing with this person. They might repeat what they did OR it might've just been a one-time thing to shock you. :wink:

4. Fray

Fray New Member

:lol: :lol: That's really funny and as much as I hate to admit to it, this has happened to me in a couple of occasions. The unfortunate part is that it has been done by older women to whom I am not attracted to. :lol:

5. devane

devane New Member

We have certain movements in Rueda that could be considered groping outside our class.
    We have "Policia" which you frisk the other person. "llama la policia" where you slap the ladies knat when you pass her on. There is "tumbadora" where you almost do a drum solo on the ladies knat. There is also "yogur" which I can't really explain but it looks pretty dirty.
    But this is just a bit of latin fun ( our teachers are latin).
    Well nobody seems to mind here.

6. wuthering

wuthering New Member

There's also "un frances" with a lot of parallel hip motion involved. I usually move to the rythm and wait till everyone gets their senses back.

Not so long ago, while in face to face position, we were chatting with my dance partner and he put my right hand on the back of his neck and let go of it. Accordingly to Newton's theory my hand slipped down and I realised that I had just touched the guy's nipple :oops: I was so surprised/embarassed by myself that I pretended that nothing happened. He did the same.

7. devane

devane New Member

un frances es un tipo de beso, no?

that's sounds cool. Check this clip. we have to do thing like this sometimes (the hip grinding)

http://www.powow.com/devane/vitor.mpg

right click to download

8. la celia

la celia New Member

Is better that I don't write what is happend to me... :? But I can say that is a strange situation!!!You don't know what you have to do? :evil: or :oops: !!!

So...the silence is the best thing!

But,I think that El Guru will be happy to tell you something! :lol:

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

So El Guru tell all, tell all... EMs wish to know.

10. wuthering

wuthering New Member

Devane, IMO this is the type of BS presented as salsa which makes people uncomfortable with letting their girlfriends/ wives / daughters / sons etc go dance it. :? :?

11. TICA

TICA New Member

She must have not been all that hot, 'cuz.... knowing guys... had she been hot he'd been right in heaven immediately following the butt pinch :p

12. vey

vey New Member

It's OK with me if it's a part of a choreographed (or rueda) preformance where all the members know the move and are comfortable with it but if a guy I don't know tries to do it on a dance floor I' d be extremely uncomfortable if not mad :twisted:

13. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Yeah, from the clip it was obviously a choreographed routine. That's cool. It's much less raunchy than some stuff you'll see on the dancefloor in a lot of nightclubs. If anyone other than my beloved spouse tried moves like that on me unannounced though I'd follow with the classic slap-to-face, storm-off-the-floor combo!

14. devane

devane New Member

I sorry you feel that way.
    This class was for couples only.
    Even in rueda nobody is put into a situation they are not comfortable with.

In the Beginners classes , they not taught movements like "llama la policia" etc.. so there is no danger of someone coming in for a cheap grope.
    Also the hip grinding movements are done normallly done by advanced ( not beginnners) students who know each other.

The teachers are Cuban & Brazilian, this isn't consideried dirty at all. There are obviously cultural differences to be considered. And even as a dancer you could be doing movements that are considered raunchy to an outsider.

15. Paou

Paou New Member

Well, in our local scene you'll see all those moves on the dance floor regulally, except for the one at the beginning where the guy runs his hand down the ladies front. (Which *would* probably provoke a slap ;))

My girlfriend dances with guys all the time that pull those kind of moves and worse (one of my friends is an amazing dancer, and very flirtatious/sexy/sensual) - and I don't care - it's all just a part of the dance. (well...except when he pulls the same moves on me while dancing as a follower, in which case I have to immediately go find my GF to re-assert my masculine image by dancing outragously sexy with her :oops: :p)

Anyway, My point: It's SALSA. It's SUPPOSED to be SEXY.

Admittedly, if I don't know her, then I guage the lady before pulling anything too raunchy... but you can normally tell whether she'll take it as fun or not... different people, different tastes...

I also know that non-dancers can have more of a problem with it, it's one of the reasons I split up with an ex-girlfriend of mine... and why I prefer dating within the salsa scene... but that's a whole different topic / issue.

16. azzey

azzey Member

I would have winked at her. She obviously being playful because she likes you. I can't remember the number of times I've been groped after a dance. It almost seems to be several times a night now, you just get used to it. What I find remarkable is how subtle and quick the girls are at passing a hand across your bum. Takes practice that does! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't mind as long as I like the girl. It's when they pinch you so hard it hurts or it's someone unattractive who does it I don't like.

17. wuthering

wuthering New Member

Don't worry. I dance in a sexy way with guys I know whenever I/we feel like it, which is almost all the time. My problem was that this seemed to be a choreagraphy intended to be performed in front of a public (hence the way the couples were set up in a triangle, always facing the same direction, making sure to cover all available space etc). And there I mean "laymen" who do not know what salsa is all about (excuse me, but I think anyone with a bit of salsa experience would find this not interesting/challenging enough, technically speaking).

Seeing those gestures separately when a couple dances is OK, but limiting salsa to this is IMO is misleading the public.

18. cookie

cookie New Member

with dancers I know, I don't mind getting up close or sexy moves, but i do hate it when guys try this on their first dance with you.

i went to one salsa place (and it wasn't even a club) and was completely new. I This guy was suddenly on his knee, running his hands up and down me and I thought: woah I don't even know you! so I backed away and he looked really annoyed that I wasn't letting him run his hands all over me. I avoided him for the rest of th night

At the place where I dance now (which is a club), I noticed no one got TOO close until they'd had a few dances with me first. I guess to test if I'd be ok with it. (which I am) so that I don't mind. I think that is respectful. I trust the guys there.

19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

How about we have 3 dances in a row. That way I get sexier with each song? :wink: :)

20. Vin

Vin New Member

I like to give the follow the opportunity to get up close and personal with me and then I let her up the ante everytime.

There are certain moves that make a woman feel sexy and classy and those are the ones I tend to prefer, but ladies if you want to get freaky with me on the dance floor who am I to inhibit your sense of artistic expression.