Ballroom Dance > Gumbo 2017

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dlliba10, Jun 20, 2017.

1. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Who's going to be there? I fly down on Thursday, music direct the whole weekend, and then I'm spending Sunday night through Tuesday afternoon in New Orleans. :D Hope to see / meet a bunch of DFers in Baton Rouge!

Sania likes this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

7th year in a row. See ya there !!!

dlliba10 likes this.
  3. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

We had to un-book ourselves for this comp because of a wedding we have to attend the same weekend (the nerve!). ONE DAY.... lol

4. Mr 4 styles

Wahhhhhhhh I was finally going to meet miss silly :((( times one million

5. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

aren't we supposed to bolero?? LOL i haven't forgotten!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Yesssssssssssss

Miss Silly likes this.
  7. Jon Blankenship

Jon Blankenship New Member

We are here. First USA Dance comp, very different for sure. Fun, yet I do feel there are a few things I would hope they improve on. And the skill level was top-notch. That maybe an understatement lol.

middy, bia and Borazine like this.
  8. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I'm curious what those are, if you'd care to share. Did you let the organizers know? I've found them very responsive, as a rule, though given how long-established their procedures are, I bet they're not likely to change things without significant reason. The crazy early start on Sunday morning was unfortunate (and a couple of different organizers brought it up to me apologetically, so it clearly wasn't their preference either), but since it was based on making room for the huge number of kids from the public school program, I'm willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience. Though I do hope they can rearrange the scheduling to avoid it next year.

@dlliba10, it was great to meet you! @Mr 4 styles, I'm sorry our paths didn't cross to chat, but I enjoyed watching you dance on Saturday!

Mr 4 styles and Borazine like this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

Thanks bia!! It was a good gumbo as usual. They do a very good job

10. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it went well! Anyone else want to share how the weekend was for them?

11. Jon Blankenship

Jon Blankenship New Member

I would say 95% was great! The competition was intense. The feedback would be for the registrar honestly. We were brand new to USA Dance and also advanced, which I do believe is not normal. So I had expressed this and asked about an event that was added and we danced it, then after dancing, were embarrasely called up and told we were not allowed to walk up for awards because we didn't have a WDSF card. The thing is, we had no idea. I had openly expressed our lack of knowledge, studied up on rules, so we thought. Wife cried and it was honestly humiliating. The WDSF representative was very rude and the registrar there was much worse. They should have asked when we got in and not after dancing the event. I do feel this is something they need to improve on.

12. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Glad to meet you too! Thanks for coming up to introduce yourself!

I think more factors besides the kids contributed to the Sunday schedule, like more T/S events that couldn't be run concurrently on Friday and Saturday and things like that. I wonder if there's a way to sprinkle some events into Friday's and Saturday's schedules (we started 9 on Friday with a 2.5-ish hour break till the evening session, 8 Saturday with a 2-ish hour break, 7 Sunday with no break) to ease the load on Sunday.

Jon, I'm so sorry you had that experience, and I hope it won't keep you from attending other USA Dance events. Feel free to PM me if you're willing to share more details about what happened, and I hope it can be made right at the next event -- I'm troubled at the thought of anyone with whom you would have interacted regarding this topic being rude about it, since all the candidates I can think of are very kind, considerate people.