Hair -- instructional videos

Discussion in 'Videos' started by bia, May 30, 2012.

1. bia

bia Well-Known Member

These came up on the short hair ideas thread -- thanks, nikkitta! -- and I figured we could stand to have a thread for them, where folks can add more.

torrinpaige's hair playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF3508F6411A91FDE&feature=plcp

loepsie: http://www.youtube.com/user/Loepsie

I really like Loepsie's "sock bun secret" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM) -- I have such fine, thin hair that my bun is really pitiful-looking without something inside, and I like the look with her technique better than the normal sock bun way. I still need to figure out if I can do it with a hair donut/chignon pillow (that I can stick pins into, but that doesn't seem to want to turn inside out) instead of a sock (not secure enough for dancing).

If you've found other useful hair videos, please add them!

2. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

AHHHH! I *love* that one. I've always wanted to do a hairstyle like that for ballroom. Adding Miss Moon to my youtube subscriptions 8). Loepsie rocks, but it's sometimes hard to see what she's doing with her dark hair.

4. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

I've been using this method on my 7 year old's baby fine hair with a Conair bun maker. The donut was a little stiff and hard to turn at first, but it softened up as I went. It looks great - her ballet teacher commented on how nice her hair's looked lately!

5. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Thanks, SwayWithMe, that's good to hear. I'll keep trying, and maybe try out a few different donut brands.

6. bia

bia Well-Known Member

7. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

I found this video and some others by this user to be very helpful!

Lioness likes this.
  8. s2k

s2k Active Member

Love the trick of using the hair net FIRST. I've seen stylists coat the front sections of hair in the Got2B styling glue, and then once the hair is practically dripping with that stuff, then they wind the hair into the swirls and twirls, rather than the above technique of pinning/hairspraying. The styling glue is the wet/shiny look, and the above technique is the matte look.

5678dance likes this.
  9. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Yeah -- for consolidation, here's a video showing the glue method of the swirls:

Though on my hair, I've found that the glue actually ends up more matte than the hairspray.

Lioness likes this.
  10. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

When I discovered the trick of using the hairnet first, it was like I discovered fire.
    Also, as for spraying the swirls first or after, I sort of do a combination of both. I spray to make the hair tacky, and then when I get it where I want, I spray the bejeezus out of it.

llamasarefuzzy and s2k like this.
  11. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Do you think that the swirls are more effective with gel, Got2b spray, or perhaps a hair scuplting wax/cream? I've been using gel and the Got2b spray, but I cant get the swirls to be as 3d as I would like, and they end up looking kinda limp.

12. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

I've actually found that because I have such fine hair, gel really weighs my hair down when trying to sculpt and make swirlies. Never used wax or cream but I imagine it would also be heavy. The got2b freeze spray works best for my fine hair, its the only product I use. Its light enough like a hairspray, but solid enough to keep everything in place!

It was only for my last few comps where I was finally able to sculpt really well, and I learned that by teasing up the sections I want to sculpt and then spraying that teased-base, the hair really stays up! It's like making a mini-Snooki bump for every section you want to sculpt haha

13. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I found this while trolling YouTube. No, those products you see on TV don't always work as well at home...
    She is hilarious. You should see her attempt to get the "Air Curler" to work. Tragic.

5678dance likes this.
  14. s2k

s2k Active Member

Scroll up to the video bia posted; the stylist uses the Got2B styling glue to create more of a 3d swirl that I think you're looking for! :)

slhull.13 likes this.