Happiness

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Spitfire, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I saw this on another forum; want to share it here...

This is AWESOME....something we should all remember.

A 92-year-old, petite, well-poised and proud man, who is fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with his hair fashionably combed and shaved

perfectly, even though he is legally blind, moved to a nursing home today. His wife of 70 years recently passed away, making the move necessary.

After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, he smiled sweetly when told his room was ready.

As he maneuvered his walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of his tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on his window.

I love it,' he stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy.

Mr. Jones, you haven't seen the room; just wait.'

'That doesn' t have anything to do with it,' he replied. Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is arranged .. it's how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it.

'It's a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice; I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do.

Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open, I'll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I've stored away. Just for this time in my life.

Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what you've put in. So, my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of happiness in the bank account of memories!

Thank you for your part in filling my Memory Bank. I am still depositing.

'Remember the five simple rules to be happy:

1. Free your heart from hatred.

2. Free your mind from worries.

3. Live simply.

4. Give more.

5. Expect less.

Chr0n and chomsky like this.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That is beautiful, SF!

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

That's so lovely, Spitfire... :cheers:

4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

great!!

5. Asiatias

Asiatias New Member

This is Lovely... I have decided to print it out and share the story with someone who would enjoy it as well. Thank you for the post.

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wonderful

7. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I have mixed feelings about these kind of stories... The idea that you make up your mind ahead of time if you will be happy or not. The sentiment is very nice. And while the rules are simple, the implementation is immensely difficult. So I can never decide if the stories are supposed to inspire or mock the reader.

8. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

We can't choose to be happy, but we can choose whether to dwell on the things that upset us or do something about them. For example, I can't decide how the judges will place me at my next competition, though I can influence it with how hard I work. Nor can I control how I feel if I'm not placed as well as I would like, but I can choose to focus on the fact that I did better than at a previous comp, performed well against a tough field, that the dancing itself is better in practices, or even that I have a clear idea what areas I need to work on. It's not easy - at some times it's extremely hard - but the cure for unhappiness is not more unhappiness. Or, as one of my favorite authors wrote, "Focus on the solution, not the problem."

9. Nvm

Nvm New Member

Happiness is being surrounded by your children, great food, warm fireplace, and loving husband.

10. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Exactly... it's the premise that we just choose happiness out of thin air in any given moment that I don't agree with.

On that same note, there's an excellent book on happiness I recommend to anyone struggling with the practical skills of HOW not to focus on the problem: The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris

11. Asiatias

Asiatias New Member

I definitely can not control our environment.. However we can shape our perceptions and the way we handle our trials.

It's not a simple mindset, but just like Dance... and on going art that we invest in. We have to work continously at it. If it was easy... no one would ever complain.

12. Maryontheweb

Maryontheweb Member

This conversation reminds me of the "Half Full or Half Empty Glass" analogy.
    Sometimes people appear pre-disposed to seeing the same situation from a negative view point and others from a positive view point.

13. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Emotions will follow behavior. Starting to look at life postitively will quickly turn those emotions into happy/positive ones. Of course this is a lag, and that's the duration one has to work hard to stay positive - after that it would be easier to be happy.

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

+1 to these posts... :cheers:

15. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I only just now saw what Spitfire posted. Realizing I had a very similiar conversation with my dad - a few weeks ago. About happiness.
    It so hits home. Apparently.
    Thanks for posting it Spitfire.

16. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

thanks Spitfire!

17. This is very inspiring. This is a perfect reading after a terrible day. Surely, there are more things that we should be thankful for than the things that we can complain about.

chomsky and j_alexandra like this.
  18. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Happiness means we accept the sadness in our lives and come to terms with it as part of life...