Dance Ads > Happy Day for WCS in NYC

Discussion in 'Dance Ads' started by leftfeetnyc, Apr 27, 2005.

1. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

See, three days of complaining and we already have a new place to dance:

Wednesday Nights at The Saloon. It's on York Ave. between 83rd and 84th...close to the 4/5/6 trains, the floor is nicer (no slope) and bigger. There will be a beginner WCS class at 8p...a new feature and the dance starts at 9p. Prices are still the same, $10 ($1 off for skirt wearers on the first Wed. of the month...which is our first party!!) Next dance will be May 4th.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Good to hear about this event leftfeetnyc. :D Things usually have a way of working out.

3. swing4life

swing4life New Member

Eventhough I have an engagement that night, I'm going to try to wrap it up very quickly and make it for the dancing! Don't expect me to be wearing a skirt tho. :tongue:

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What happened?

5. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Pygmalion, Our old venue was sold and S4L and I have been bemoaning the loss, but in three days the promoter found a new locations...this time with a better floor.

S4L....come on...wear a skirt to skirt night, ask Festa is Kilts count, I'm sure they do!

6. pygmalion

Oh yeah. I saw the sad day thread. I was just wondering who found the new place and how they managed to do it so quickly. Cool.

Why $1 off for skirt wearers? Free ogles? :roll: :lol:

7. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Interesting this only took three days.

Dare I say this was planned? :roll:

Business is business. ;)

8. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Not planned. The old location is locked up with big ugly chains on the door.

John Festa was hosting the original party. There is a possibility he was already looking for a new place beore the closing announcement came as the oringinal place was very VERY tiny. He's been great about keeping us all informed about what was going on with the closure and search for a new location.

I'm particularly happy as the new place is meer blocks from my apartment, I have no excuse not to go now!

Skirt night is just a way to get people to dress a little nicer once in a while...we're all fans of the jeans and tee shirt look. So the first Wednesday of the month is skirt night..and none of us wear skirts.

9. pygmalion

:lol: :lol:

10. swing4life

swing4life New Member

Leftfeetnyc, you know I'll be coming from another engagement before the party. Do you really think I'll be able to get away with wearing a skirt from that place??? :tongue:

Plus I think you look better in a skirt than I do any day. :wink:

11. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

So does it count if you wear a skirt over jeans? :lol:

It's way out of our way now, but we'll try to make it. Haven't gone in forever!!! :oops:

12. pygmalion

What's with all these dancing ladies avoiding skirts? Aren't jeans unbearably hot? I can't stand dancing in them, myself. :?

13. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Leg lines. Pants are the greatest way to hide them...and unless you're Blake Hobby or Jessica Cox....most WCS followers don't have good leg lines.

I prefer skirts for competition and will also wear them on skirt night...but I've seen my leg lines...scary!!

Also, it's been a hellishly cold winter here in NYC...the more layers and coverings the better!

Oh, and the shoes don't look good with skirts either....most westies have coaching shoes not heels.

14. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Yeah, I mostly have a problem with the shoes'n'socks with skirts look. Kinda like guys who wear shorts with dance shoes and socks up to their knees...white ones! :shock:

Also, WCS can be very funky, depending on the music. And for some reason, I have a hard time "getting down" in skirts and heels.

Oh yeah, and in the almost two years that I haven't danced ballroom, my feet happily forgot how to function in heels. :cry:

So all of that kind of contribute to my resistance to the skirt night. :lol: I don't know why everyone else doesn't wear them, but I suspect some of the same reasons might be involved.

15. nyclidance

nyclidance New Member

Here's another WCS event in NY you might be interested in.

NY Hot Mix Dance Party
    Every Thursday Night
    9pm-12am
    West Coast Swing, Hustle, Salsa
    Admission $7.00
    Huge dance floor!
    Cash bar

@Charisma Ballroom
    71-46 Main Street
    Kew Gardens Hills, NY

http://www.danceuponatime.com

16. pix

pix New Member

Does this dance have lots of beginners/advanced? Are they welcome to new faces, have any lindy-ers?

17. pygmalion

18. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

I'vr nerver been to this particular dance, but I'm going to guess that if there are lindy dancers, they're cross over and do both dances, but it's doubtful that any lindy music will be played. The music for WCS, Hustle, and Salsa can be very similar at times, so it works to have these three dances on one night.

If you're looking for a lindy dance, check out Frim Fram. It's on Thursday nights at Club 412 (You Should be Dancing studio) and most of the lindy hoppers in the city go out to it.

Many of the dances around the city are a mix of beginner and advanced dancers and I have never been to one that was not welcoming of new faces. My first dance I went to alone and knew on one, but I danced all night.

19. nyclidance

nyclidance New Member

They definitely welcome new faces, it's a very friendly crowd with dancers of all levels from beginner to pros. No lindy-ers but lots of WCS.

20. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Also, for those interested, tonight is WCS night at Stepping out (on 25th Street b. 6th & 7th Aves.) There will be performances by Hazel & Tybaldt, Tami Harris & Steve Nereen, and more.

Free for Stepping Out Students, $10 GSC members, $12 General Public.

Hope to see some of you there!