Dance Articles > Hard Truths About Ballroom Competition

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by ajiboyet, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

2. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I don't know, maybe it's just that I've been around DF enough that I've been educated. None of these is surprising to me.

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

me neither knew all this just have to execute it

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Not 100% on #5--yes, keep your arm down because even the Open dancers look silly sticking their arm out (there is no way to do it that's not awkward) and don't spend ten hours bowing or walking/on-off, but you're not walking onto the floor with those dances above you in the pecking order, you're walking on in a group of people with whom you're allegedly competitive. Assertive and confident is good. Humble is not going to get you noticed. If you go out acting like "Gee, I'm just glad to be here, I'm not that great" most judges are going to go "Okay, you're not" and ignore you.

But really--who has their hair down in standard even in the Newcomer events? Maybe a brand-new am/am couple on ten lessons she doesn't have shellacked-in-place perfect hair, but I've never seen anyone wearing their hair down for Standard. Smooth, once in a great while, but not Standard. At the very least I would think it would be annoying and the lead would keep getting his hand caught.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Nice article. Nothing in it surprised me, either. What I found interesting was to click through to his full profile page. If you look at the photos/videos there, he definitely takes his own advice about owning a piece of the floor near the judges. Very good advice, btw. :)

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I enjoy his articles.

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I do as well. Just because there's nothing earth-shatteringly new about them doesn't make his take any less interesting/entertaining. :cool:

8. CCdance

CCdance Active Member

90 seconds / 12 couples = 7.5 seconds/couple

brutally true! lol

9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

less for some more for others i suspect

10. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Without a doubt. Some couples can be brutal to watch... I hate to say it, but it's true. And you know the judges are quick to skip them.

11. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

On #2 - my pro's partner has actually taken to wearing a beard, and it hasn't negatively impacted their marks. But, while not a top 5 lead, he's still a high-end pro, and I'd be terrified to try it myself at a comp I actually cared about. It's a very distinctive look. I mean, his beard has its own page on Facebook, made by a fan.