Event Announcements > Harvard Invitational 2010

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by Larinda McRaven, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

2010 Harvard Invitational
    19th Annual Harvard Invitational Competition
    Saturday, March 27 and Sunday, March 28, 2010
    Lavietes Pavilion at Harvard

Registration
    - Free registration for Pre-Champ, Champ, and Open levels
    - $1000 in prizes
    - Online registration closes March 22nd

Hanlon-Ford Ball
    - Performances by Arunas Bizokas & Katusha Demidova!
    - Final rounds of all Pre-Champ, Champ, and Open events
    - Formation Team Competition
    - And an elegant evening of social dancing
    - The festivities begin Saturday, March 27th at 7PM

Full Competition Details
    - Please visit the website: www.HarvardBallroom.org

Harvard is looking forward to another great competition and hopes to see you in next week!

2. Karl

Karl New Member

I hate to open up the flood gates, but does anyone have any feedback on this year's competition?

3. rinachick

rinachick New Member

I thought the competition was very well run. I appreciated the change in the schedule this year (with the American events run back to back, rather than first thing in the morning and the last event in the evening like last year). My only comment is that posting the specific time that an event would be run, and making it so that it couldn't be run any earlier was kind of a pain. It's nice when things run early and we can end the day earlier. I think most dancers by now know that events can (and do) run up to a half hour earlier than posted. This is mostly in reference to the gold smooth. All of us were standing around, knowing that we should be run when the quarter finals were on, but it wasn't 5:30 yet or whatever time we were supposed to dance. It would've been nice to go on earlier, and not have all 17 gold couples crammed onto the floor in 1 heat. Other than that, great job and I look forward to next year's!

4. Karl

Karl New Member

Perhaps we just need to be more accurate with those numbers. They were good estimates, and they assumed that we would be running early... they were supposed to be the "earliest the event would possibly be run", however we had enough Bronze and Silver couples not show up that we were actually able to eliminate an entire round from each saving (at 2 minutes per heat) an unexpected 48 minutes.

5. rinachick

rinachick New Member

Ah. Well, it is really nice knowing around what time you'll be dancing, I just think it doesn't need to be so strict that it will not be run before that time. But like I said, great job with the comp!

6. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I felt like it ran a LOT better than previous years. In particular, the events were announced well before they were danced, so we were not running to the on-deck area to check in while our heat is walking on the floor because no one told us to line up. I may have yelled at someone about that last year :rolleyes:

7. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

That's been fairly normal in the new england circuit for the past ~5 years -- I always "expect" a 20-30% no show rate in syllabus.