Ballroom Dance > Has anyone ever achieved gold status on most of the 10 styles in 1 year?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by carlosyabrudy, Apr 8, 2017.

1. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

As you progress beyond bronze into the silver and gold figures, revisit your bronze figures as you master new techniques so you can refine the bronze figures. At one time I watched a video (maybe on YouTube) of a championship couple doing only bronze, but their bronze was so much more than our bronze.

middy, IndyLady, j_alexandra and 5 others like this.
  2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Indeed. For example, I can pretty much guarantee that you are *always* going to have room for refinement in your feathers and three steps. Or in latin, you will be working on your rumba walks pretty much forever. Which is not, I want to be very clear, a statement about you. That's true for everyone. It's pretty much impossible to spend too much time working on one's fundamentals.

debmc, IndyLady, RiseNFall and 5 others like this.
  3. carlosyabrudy

carlosyabrudy Member

Woohooo! I'm having a Pure Class Sleeveless Jacket made to measure! It's a shame you can't get good dance wear for anything less than £250. This is how serious I am about having everything ready and the right attire and feel for what I will achieve.
    [​IMG]

Dean and MaggieMoves like this.
  4. carlosyabrudy

carlosyabrudy Member

snapdancer - I shall do. I always like to start off routines with the basic steps and then add the rest on after when I practise. Just as in Football (soccer) basics are what you win with. I think this is correct with dance too from everything I've seen and been told by my instructor.

It's amazing how just looking at the feather step in Foxtrot, from learning the figure, there is so much to do with shaping etc. I think it's so cool how someone can do a feather an it look just like an intro but others can dress up a feather and make it look so elegant and add so much detail to it with the lady... :D Alexandra Hixson and Andrey Sirbu in an ISTD conference performed and showed us a small routine comprising of an extended feather, followed by two reverse turns into a pivot turn and then natural wing type turn into promenade and an oversway followed by a ronde chasse and their movement was fantastic! Such a short basic routine but looks amazing!

5. carlosyabrudy

carlosyabrudy Member

Now I'm excited about having decent dance wear. I have a strange figure as I am 42" up top and 31" waist with 31.5" hips so athletic cut isn't very normal for suits or waistcoats so to do this properly I have no choice but to invest. At least the material is stretchy for the jacket....

I always feel better when dancing in competition gear rather than civies. Same with the way that you would train in martial arts in what you would wear to a competition/tournament/fight so that it doesn't feel strange. Normal is an entirely subjective concept to each person.

From the site:
    "The best 4 way stretch fabric is without doubt what we at Pure Class recommend. It allows Mark Plant our master tailor to fit and cut the suit to the dancers body but at the same time giving the dancer comfort. In appearance the fabric looks a traditional very black wool with the advantage of being light weight and full stretch.

We no longer have to use pads in the shoulders as the fabric can be stretched across the shoulder canvas. This gives a natural shoulder line and the collar can then be set lower giving the dancer a long neck and visible white collar.

The back fit again because of the cloth stretches from the middle of the back to the elbow when in dance hold , taking away the fabric drape that is visible in a none stretch fabric.

We no longer use sleeve linings as this cloth can be fitted as close as the dancer requires to the arm but it is important that the stretch of the fabric is not used around the arm as this will result in the sleeves looking too tight and will detract from the coaches requirements and giving what is formally known as the 'condom sleeve' a look that no one wants!

A lot of time and thought has gone into developing this fabric and although its our most expensive suit there are no compromises in what the cloth can do.
    A tradition comfort look can be achieved by using a non-stretch wool with padded shoulders and a wider sleeve with fabric drape however if you still require this look it would still be better to use the 4 way stretch fabric with all its modern day elements and leave the style of the cut to our tailors to achieve your desired preferred profile."

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

This was in the late 90's, or right at 2000. We were open finalists here in the States and it was a very rough ride. More for my partner than myself, as he had really bad substance dependencies that were starting to regain control over him (again). We needed a method to be able to handle to roller coaster ride of results and popularity, that seemed so fickle. And backstabbing nature that exists very subtly among the elite. We wanted someone to teach us how to compete emotionally, not just how to do a beautiful natural turn.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Dean, SwingingAlong, s2k and 3 others like this.
  7. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

While we're sharing - I see a sports psychologist sometimes to help me cope with my overachiever tendencies and manage my OCD* in the world of high-performance training and competition... but the reason I started - and continue with regular check-ins - is to help me deal with all the politics/drama (primarily at the studio) which got so bad for a while that I nearly walked away from the sport completely.

(*Note: not using OCD as an expression here.)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  8. It is such a shame that you ever reached that point. You've been really motivational to me on DF, and have made me focus and re-think how much the sport means to me (I should say art, since I see dancing more as an art) and how to get the most out of it. I am grateful that you continued and hope that's improved! I am also appreciative of my studio, which either doesn't have the drama or I've managed to completely avoid it.

9. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

I like to get close enough to the drama to enjoy the show, yet no so close that I'm in danger of getting hit with any of the shrapnel. Fortunately the local scene is relatively free of the inta- and inter-studio dramas that plague some places.

IndyLady likes this.
  10. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

In many cases, this place dose not exist. The show is not worth the cost of admission. (If you've found the exception, good for you, I guess. I've been hit by enough shrapnel that I don't enjoy the show anyway.)

Dean, fascination and Purr like this.
  11. carlosyabrudy

carlosyabrudy Member

UPDATE: I am now entering my first competition two months into having ever danced. It's in Quickstep and Cha Cha.

The attention to detail has really been upped fast or at least in my eyes... especially with Cha Cha... for weight distribution, pointing toes, hip movement and where it fits in figures, brushing feet past others, angle of arm on new yorkers, lock step dynamics and so on.... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

So much to work on but I'll be dedicating more time to it and practicing endlessly. I want to get into the finals or at least come first place minimum. Without pressure of course...

The only thing I have been struggling with is fast decision making on what to do when I reach corners earlier than planned or have no more space to execute either hesitations into double reverse spins or running out of room with a tipple chasse and adjusting the direction of travel when doing the first back lock following on from chasse to the right.....

12. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I’ve been following this post because I really love your enthusiasm, and anyone who loves to dance as much as you appear to is obviously in good company. :)

But I’d like to caution you on this goal you have right here. It is so beyond your control – it’s beyond all of our control.

While yes, we’d all like to make the finals, to get a callback, we cannot control the other couples. We cannot control the panel. We certainly cannot control the politics.

If you will consider making your goal less results-oriented, you may be saving yourself a great deal of future angst. Because I assure you, not getting a callback does indeed suck*, and if that’s where all your hopes were set, you will not remember what you did well on that floor, and compliment yourself on part of your dancing in those moments. Focusing only on what we do wrong is a constant challenge and it will cause us to not evaluate ourselves honestly or fairly. Such mental warfare, IMHO, will constantly undo the physical effort our coaches are putting into us.

Good luck!

*(I assure you, this was autocorrected to say "stink" because "stink" ain't strong enough a word for how it feels)

Dean, kckc, carlosyabrudy and 4 others like this.
  13. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Try using unicode substitutes for 'u'. For example, '∪': "s∪ck".

14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I agree with s2k. I generally advise people with a strong competitive streak to make their first competition goal simply "to show what I can do". Until you get to know the people on the circuit you are competing on, and where you usually place against them, placement goals are completely arbitrary... and even then, I prefer to make process (rather than outcome) oriented goals.

SwingingAlong and raindance like this.
  15. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Or, go with the fact that this forum is moderated for a reason, and find other ways to express yourself, like s2k did.

Larinda McRaven and s2k like this.
  16. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

I respect our mods too much to go here. ;):p

carlosyabrudy likes this.
  17. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

OP, what type of competition is it and what level are you dancing? If there is a newcomer division, you might indeed place very well, but, uh, don't get too used to it. ;) And it truly isn't the best way to measure progress, even if one of your goals is to win.

My line when I discuss dancing, competition, and goals with my teacher: "Don't worry. I know how to lose."

Dean, IndyLady and carlosyabrudy like this.
  18. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

That's great, OP! I will add to the other advice on making your goal about something in your control. Like, having good floorcraft so you get your choreo in without hitting anyone. Or getting certain pieces of technique.

Keep us posted!

19. carlosyabrudy

carlosyabrudy Member

Just so you guys know....

I like to joke around a lot whilst being serious in life's objectives.

When i say minimum 1st place... haha well.... I know that judging ON THE DAY is entirely subjective unlike my other sport in which wins are decisive and there is no arguing against an opponent tapping or being knocked out or being stopped by the referee.

20. carlosyabrudy

carlosyabrudy Member

It is an ISTD competition and the level is Social Dance Test. I'm excited about it and have practised a lot. It's only the floorcraft part of quickstep that I am getting used to. I was obsessed with doing a spin turn in every corner and have toned it down to just angle a good basic into it.

My routine consists of basics, lock steps, spin turn, double reverse spin, chasse right, back lock, tipple chasse.... not much is needed and partner is instructor.

RiseNFall and Larinda McRaven like this.