Swing Discussion Boards > hat or no hat while dancing?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Diavo, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Oh! This weekend I was dancing (big surprise) with my new cap. It's black with white pinstripes, like a Kangol-type of hat. Well, someone here mentioned having sweaty/dirty hats and ruining them because of dancing with 'em. This hat's "brim" is plastic, not cardboard like most caps' brims (and baseball caps' brims even) and so the tag on the inside says "Machine wash warm." So now I have a hat I can always have clean. :)

Re: "chick" --it's a supreme force of will not to fill my writings with jive slang...

--Diavo 8)

2. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

Girls, no sombrero hats please.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh. I didn't know chick was swing slang. I thought it was "kitten."

4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

It's funny, on flights back from Mexico, some tourist always has one of those d@mn sombreros! They're busy fumbling with their carry-on and wondering where they're going to put the bloody hat! :lol:

5. Diavo

Diavo New Member

*bump*

It's getting hot for dancing in DC, so I'm on the lookout for straw hats to wear this summer. Particularly a black straw porkpie. 8)

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hey! This is the thread I was looking for, for luh. He just got a new hat for his birthday. 8)

7. Vin

Vin New Member

Ladies, wear the hats every once in a while. I must admit though, I am a sucker for a pretty lady in a stylish hat.

8. gte692h

gte692h Member

i personally am not into hats - their tightness affects my dancing ;)

In performances, i think hats are a great accessory. for example,
    http://journals.rpungin.fotki.com/blog/entry/bgtrkdffsg/
    this link above has a nice little link to a salsa video, where the dancers both have hats. i was mesmerized.. mostly due to their very relaxed style, but also their hats and clothes! ps - i would love to dance with the follow in this video !

Socially, i get a headache everytime I see someone with a hat.. usually because they are copying someone's style, and they are wearing something that doesn't suit them.

9. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Yeah, I bumped for him. :raisebro:

10. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

11. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

That is one hot song. I personally prefer the Joe Cocker verision....that one is hawt!

I'm not crazy about hats while dancing, but on occasion they're fun. I've had one great hustle where my partner was wearing a hat, on a pass I swiped the hat onto my head and he swiped it back putting me through a spin. The dance was a hoot.

Edit: I tried to include an image of the dance, didn't have any luck...any tips on doing that? It needed resizing, maybe that was my problem

12. rpungin

rpungin New Member

I am surprised you did not get a headache watching that video, since it was just social dancing at the Easter Parade :) Thanks for your compliments though!

Raphael

13. gte692h

gte692h Member

yay ! you're on dance forums ! i thought i should have left feedback on your webpage as well.

i liked that video a lot, in fact a lot more than all the other salsa videos you have, from the congresses.

14. Diavo

Diavo New Member

When swing dancing (and I always wear a hat) and people are watching us, my girlfriend will take my hat off and put it on her head. So in a moment I'll turn her out, then pass under her arm on the return, and on the final (3rd) turn I grab my hat back and top it. Sometimes she shakes her fist at me -- or throws a punch which I grab and turn into making her spin.. Everyone watching always smiles. (We're such show-offs, but we do it for the onlookers.)

15. Cruelshoes

Cruelshoes New Member

Late to the thread.

I go back and forth about hats. I love 'em but they can get in the way, too. Plus, if you take them off during the night you got to remember to take it with you at the end of the night!

I have a zillion hats and I go through phases about wearing them, for dance or just to wear. Mostly, I like to wear them but am careful to take them off prior to hat head. It seems there comes a time in the night when the hat either comes off or stays on the whole night! :lol:

In Minneapolis, we have been working on getting people to wear hats more often. We started the Jazz Hat Social Club. It's sputtering right now but last year it was going pretty good. I think it'll get a spark again this summer with some of our jazz singers interested in doing it.

www.jazzhatsocialclub.com

There are lots of pictures with "Hattitude" if you are interested in taking a peek.

16. Diavo

Diavo New Member

:applause: I applaud the club, Cruelshoes! :applause:
    Love the "no baseball caps" icon in the bottom R corner. [I hate the fact that a store called Lids has only bb caps especially b/c us Swing Kids use "lid" as jive slang] :twisted:

I'm dying to get a black straw porkpie and a meshy/knitted black cap (snap-down brim-esque) cause it's gotten too hot to keep my normal hats on while dancing! :eyebrow:

--D14V0

17. Serendipity

Serendipity New Member

Hats are dangerous....

for a while i tried to wear a hat while dancing on days where i just wasn't feeling groovey. I have found that regardles of what hat i'm wearing they are dangerous. Some one always gets bonked...regardless of who is wearing it. And the hats with the soft cap that are all feathers...i really hate those...women dancing near by almost always nearly blind me or my partner when we get hit in the face. It makes me bonkers. And god forbid any of you for any reason start dancing out side sporatically with a baseball cap on. Those are the most dangerous of all...my friend and i decided to polka to genetics class...i nearly accidently knocked him out :oops:

18. swing4life

swing4life New Member

I don't mind hats as long as they don't get in the way of dancing. The berets are fine but anything that can go out and hit someone isn't appropriate in a social scene unless its for a performance. We have enough obstacles to get around.

19. Diavo

Diavo New Member

..in France... :wink:

20. luh

luh Active Member

can you imagine. i found it YET. way to late. but still fun to read.
    luh