Swing Discussion Boards > hat or no hat while dancing?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Diavo, Jul 22, 2004.

1. luh

luh Active Member

i thought so too

2. luh

luh Active Member

to post actually my answer.
    I got a hat, - love it - a big brim fedora - zoot hat.
    it's a toy, and cool for styling. you can actually have quite fun with it, if your partner does have fun too. though i hate the messed up hair. my hair is pretty fast long again, and than it just looks very weird, because normally i got curls, so if i use it, they somehow straiten up a little and look like hay - not good anymore.
    but i won't stop. There are two things i'm going crazy about - shoes - (not like 20 000 sneaker, but danceshoes forever) and hats. all sorts of it. my brother got a newsboy cap he wears to dances - i never where that one, and i could have more of them. like a nice pork pie, a fedora, another zoot hat, other color...
    anyone has the money for me? :lol:
    luh

3. Diavo

Diavo New Member

I found a black mesh-y cap like I was looking for (Burlington Coat Factory, $15) and it was noticeably cooler while dancing than with a regular cap.
    But now it's so freakin' hot & humid (in MD/DC) that it's suicide to wear a hat while dancing -- that heat needs to escape from your head/body! :?

4. luh

luh Active Member

sometimes you have to keep up with nature ;)
    I haven't worn my hat the last time out dancing. And i'm really happy i didn't. It just was too hot. (they said it has coolers inside, but we still had something around 90 fahrenheit)
    luh

5. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

Especially at places that don't have air like Glen Echo... it's almost suicide to wear clothes there in the summer.

6. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Glen Echo -- that's where I dance every Satterdae night! oy! :shock:
    But it's a great place. 8)

8) Royal Crown Revue plays this Sat., and I'll bring a hat (for styling on entry) but also a cooler filled with ice & water bottles!
    It's been ~80 degrees at night lately there with outside humidity at 100% and inside, well, it's like rain without the clouds... :p

7. luh

luh Active Member

what is glen echo?
    Royal Crown Revue? Sweat. They should tour through europe. tell them! ;) We have no neo-swing over here. They should really tour. i think people would enjoy it.
    luh

8. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Glen Echo: www.glenechopark.org

It's an old 1900-era amusement park. The Glen Echo Ballroom is a 1933 Spanish Ballroom that was fixed up a decade ago. It's a 7,500 sqft ballroom "designed to accomodate 1,800 dancers". It's beautiful and has a huge ceiling but no heat or AC! No heat isn't a problem in the winter you know, but having no AC in the summer kills.

Yeah, RCR is playing this Satterdae!! :D :D The last time they were around was playing at G.E. this time last year (the first time I ever saw them since I became a swing kid ~1997!). Probably my favorite, they do a variety of swing but always have a killer edge -- Eddie Nichols is a character. They're "Caught in the Act" live album is the best album I own (and I've got tons)
    Big Bad Voodoo Daddy comes around Baltimore/DC ~twice a year (starting 2 years ago) but mostly play at 21+ clubs which is okay for me but not for my wide age variety of friends. :?
    DC has a lot of great local swing bands who are really good but they do old, classic stuff. No real "neoswing" music like RCR, BBVD, CPD play. [Esp nothing super-charged, electrified or fronted by 'characters'.]

/hijack :wink:

9. luh

luh Active Member

RCR is good, but i like Squirrel Nut Zippers, (if we compare the good ones), even better.
    I'd also lvoe to see BBVD once. The 21+ is really shitty. I had to find ways around it, and clubs which wouldn't do this nonsense during my time in the usa.
    this friday I'll be out dancing, and I'm gonna take some of my relatives with me (from america), and they asked about it. Tell you what - there is no age limit over here, even if they sell alcohol. (non of the swing dancers drink anyway - too much of it, and your lindy well get so smooth that you might be dancing it while lying on the floor ;))
    luh

10. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

Unfortunately, the Zippers are no longer together. They've all gone off to do their own things.

Back when the Zippers first started, they asked me if I wanted to come play trombone with them. Their drummer, Chris, used to play in a punk band with one of my best friends.

11. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Awesome!!

When BBVD comes to Baltimore they sometimes stop by the magic shop (Ken Zo's) to hang out in the evening. That is, my best friend's family magic shop, the place we hang out every Satterdae before going dancing, and nearly every Sunday (yeah, I'm a magician too). Unfortunately every time BBVD has hung out has been the time I couldn't stay for one reason or another--grrr!
    [Oh sorry, looks like I've dropped a name. I'll havta pick it up. :wink: ]

CPDs faded out shortly after their "Soul Caddy" album came out Fall 2001 (2000?) but in April they did a few shows in California. I'd kill to see them. And the Atomic Fireballs!

12. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

Maybe I'll make it out this weekend... but I should be studying for the GREs...... :cry: It is supposed to cool down for the weekend i think/hope

13. luh

luh Active Member

:shock: :shock: They are not longer together? That's bad news. I thought they were the best group of neo-swing. The others have quite a bunch of similarity in their songs.
    That's cool that you were asked. I think someone on this board is related or was to one of the members of BBVD.
    What do you guys think of Indigo Swing. Or did quit too?
    luh

14. Diavo

Diavo New Member

I don't know details of Indigo Swing but I LOVElovelove their song "Blue Suit Boogie"! I hadn't heard it in a few years then I went to a BBVD 'concert' last Fall and met a girl who is now my serious gf (total swing chick!), the next morning their lyrics just popped into my head when I woke up:
    "But I woke up this morning with a sweet smile on my face
    I think my broken heart let me finally find a resting place
    Cause the girl I met today is so reet petite
    So sweet and lovin', and light on her feet!
    She says 'Honey you sure look cute
    In your fine blue garbadine suit!'"

Setsuna -- GREs, wow that's rough, good luck when you take them!
    It's supposed to go down to ~70-65 at night but be ~90 in the day. It will definitely be four bars past hot-&-humid! :oops:
    If you do make it, my gf & I (and any friends that *might* come) like to hang out at the first corner as you make your way around the hallway of the `ballroom -- the corner near the vending machine/eating area, right by the "near" water fountain. If you see a violin case and/or a small red cooler you know I'm there. 8) Just ask for Diavo (dee-ah-vo). :wink: (or just Dave) :p

15. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

Yeah, last I heard, Jimbo Mathis was with a band called Knockdown Society. Jimbo's website is at http://jamesmathus.com/ . It looks like he's doing some solo work, too.

Katherine Whalen, Jimbo's wife and singer for SNZ, has/had her own band called Katherine Whalen's Jazz Squad. I heard a cut by them on a local college radio station a while back. It was pretty good.

Did you know that SNZ never considered themselves to be a swing band?

16. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

Thanks for the invite. I didn't start dancing till I went to college, so I've only been out dancing in DC like once or twice. I do most of my dancing in NC.

17. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Yeah, didn't they just want to be considered "Hot Jazz"? They were that, but they were also swing, so people new to swing (or ignorant of, like MTV) just classified them like they were prepackaged like any other pop music.
    [Yes, I'm not a 'go-with-the-media' type of person; like Reel Big Fish says "Turn it off / Turn it off / Turn the ray-dee-o off! / Try thinking for yourself of once in your life!"]
    At first the banjo turned me off to SNZ, but then I heard more of their songs and really dig into their Hot album. Good stuff. =)

18. luh

luh Active Member

yeah, they are really cool. I especially like
    (Today is the day) I'm glad I'm not dead
    barron plays the horses
    hot pot boogie
    red door blues
    Choo Choo Ch'boogie
    pop's at the hop - favourite
    they say i must be crazy
    Guillaume's Pepper Step
    Reet, Petite and gone

luh

19. luh

luh Active Member

I'm gonna search for some music of those two. does that radio station have internet streaming?
    As someone who does quite a lot of stuff related to website designing... i think the website of Jimbo would need to be rewritten. Not to offend anyone. But this site is not well written for navigating.

Nope.
    maybe this is the reason why they were the best group. :D (that they didn't keep on just one track as other neo-swing bands do, but more widely open to other jazzy stuff)

@Diavo: Reel Big Fish is cool, but they are very commercial. Though once when I interviewed them, when they were touring here (because of my ska radio show), they were really cool
    luh

20. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Since this thread has been completely hijacked I feel no shame continuing the story...

Royal Crown Revue was AWESOME. Like the first time I saw them. ALL fast songs with great showmanship and performing! I couldn't possibly go on enough about how ideal it was for a swing kid like me. :bouncy: 8)

Miraculously Glen Echo wasn't unbearable either -- the humidity outside was low [relatively] and I brought a cooler with ice to chill my water bottles <--smart :idea:

To unhijack it: I wore my black porkpie for the first 2 songs before I was too hot to keep it on. Instead of a feather I have a 2" pewter Ace of Spades pin. 8)

--Diavo