Swing Discussion Boards > hat or no hat while dancing?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Diavo, Jul 22, 2004.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Budy of mine wore a sleeveless white shirt, white pants and a white Panama hat to a salsa gig last weekend. Looked pretty hot!(He's latino and the white outfit looked good with his dark skin!)

2. luh

luh Active Member

diavo, I'm curious. Since you are also a swing-dancer: Do you think too, that a fedora fits more to an "usual" outfit, while the zoot hat, should be worn with a zoot suit?
    luh

3. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Generally my friends & I go with the idea that the width of the brim should relate to the length of the shirt/jacket sleeves/length.

A zoot hat looks best with a zoot suit because it has a wide brim and a zoot suit jacket A.) is long-sleeved and B.) is long in its length.

A fedora looks good with any suit of course. But if you're only wearing a dress shirt (long or short sleeves) it looks better than a zoot hat.
    A fedora also looks better with a lounge/bowling shirt because they are short-sleeved and of medium length.

A porkpie [fave] goes best with a T-shirt (a T-shirt & slacks combo) because its brim is generally shorter than fedoras' and T-shirts' sleeves are shorter than dress/lounge/bowling shirts'.

Any hat can be scaled up better than down. That is, a porkpie looks good with a suit or a zoot suit, but a zoot hat wouldn't look right when you wear T-shirt & slacks.

Just a little opinionated hat fashion advice. :wink:

--Diavo 8)

4. luh

luh Active Member

it's interesting that you relate brim and length of clothes. But it's understandable.
    luh