Ballroom Dance > Hawaii Star Ball

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Laura, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

WOAH! I am now part of the Royal Family. Please call me Princess Laura. :)

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

this reminds me that i am still pouting about not getting to be a demi-goddess or something fun like that...hmmmpf

3. Laura

Laura New Member

Results!

Rising Star Professional Standard
    1. Ikaika Dowsett & Jula Walker - CA (1-1-1-1-2)
    2. Slawek Sochacki & Marzena Stachura - CA (2-2-2-3-1)
    3. Kenji & Mariko Fukui - Japan (3-3-3-2-3)
    4. Youriy Pavlov & Anna Shabazyan - CA (4-4-4-4-4)
    5. Bill Bisko & Kaori Asano - HI (5-5-5-5/tie/-5)
    6. Mark & Andrea Nelson-Novak - CA (6-6-6-5/tie/-6)
    SF Narito & Naoko Nakamura - Japan
    SF Saburo Sugimura & Aya Kimura - Japan
    SF Pierre-Yves & Susan Tinel - CA

Rising Star Professional Rhythm
    1. Martin Balmaceda & Laura Thacker - WA (1-1-1-1-1)
    2. Sean Tamashiro & Jennifer Suzuki - CA (2-2-2-2-2)

Tonight we will have Open Professional Rhythm and Open Professional Latin. (That's it, plus a show from Mirko Gozzoli & Alessia Betti.) The schedule at this competition is very light in the evenings.

Will report back more later!

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yay for threestep! :cheers:

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

And sand in your pants...

6. reb

reb Active Member

wow - a big win for threestep over slavik and marzena

Good Luck to you Laura!

7. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Hope you're having a great time, Laura, uhhh, Your Highness.
    And congrats to ThreeStep.

8. Laura

Laura New Member

More results:

Open Professional Rhythm
    1. Felipe & Carolina Telona - NJ (1-1-1-1-1)
    2. Lucas Jaime & Yanna Samkova - NY (2-2-3-2-2)
    3. Jeremy Pilling & Julie Goldman - CA (3-3-2-3-3)
    4. Martin Balmaceda & Laura Thacker - WA
    5. Golden Parker & Jackie Brockman - CO
    6. Sean Tamashiro & Jennifer Suzuki - CA

Open Professional Latin
    1. Darius Penkauskas & Darina Jeleva - NY (1-1-1-1-1)
    2. Slawek Sochacki & Marzena Stachura - CA (2-2-2-2-2)
    3. Patrick Ellison & Anne Remsen - CA (3-3-3-3-3)
    4. Ryan Reynolds & Cassaundra Spargur - CA (4-4-4-4-4)

Not only was this the first comp I've been to where the Open Pro Rhythm had a larger field than the Open Pro Latin, but I also found the dancing in the Rhythm as a whole to be more interesting than in the Latin. That said, the Latin winners were great and were overall stand-outs on the night, I really liked their Cha Cha because Darina is just so fast and snappy in her footwork and in her turns and spins.

Mirko Gozzoli & Alessia Betti gave the usual type of show, the highlight for me was their magnificent Foxtrot to Barry Manilow's "Mandy."

Events of note that I will be watching tomorrow are the Rising Star Smooth, the Open Pro Smooth, and Maxim Kozhevnikov & Yulia Zagoryuchenko's 5-dance Latin show. But I really intend to spend the afternoon lounging by the pool drinking things involving rum and little paper umbrellas while reading a book!

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Whoa, Latin smaller than Rhythm?

10. alemana

alemana New Member

i haven't seen, or heard of, the couples in spots 4-6 in open rhythm - any thoughts, laura?

11. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

Gosh, they must be consulting with the music programmers for DWTS!

12. ThreeStep

ThreeStep New Member

Mahalo guys.

ThreeStep
    (come ona my house....)

13. Laura

Laura New Member

Spot 4 (Martin Balmaceda & Laura Thacker) won the Rising Star, nice enough dancing but some stuff looked a little off timing-wise between the two people, as if they were new at this partnership or division or competing -- and as Rising Stars of course they are.

Spot 5 (Golden Parker & Jackie Brockman) are very young (or at least the lady is) and quite cute. Jackie is the daughter of someone who my pro friends know from dancing, but I don't recall who, but she's a second-generation ballroom dance pro it seems. The have a nice air about them and I actually preferred them to Martin & Laura. I think I heard that this was their first professional competition.

Spot 6 (Sean Tamashiro & Jennifer Suzuki) are a new partnership (started competing in June). I've actually known Jennifer for years, since she was a newbie pro teaching wedding couples. I think they are stylish but need seasoning, to up their performance levels and work out nerves and the like. They have a very fun and classy look.

14. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Hmm. I know a pro with the same last name, he does quite a few pro-am entries in our Missouri comps.

15. alemana

alemana New Member

great summary, thanks. i found that Parker/Brockman also did Nevada, and found some pro-am results for both as well....

16. reb

reb Active Member

I believe Jaki is the daughter of Wayne Brockman and Colleen Royal and they have studio(s) in Colorado Springs area. I had a team working in CSprings when I started dancing and checked out the studio at that time. Colleen was a very gracious hostess. They used to run the Rocky Mountain Challenge in the past. Their daughter has always been nice. I think they've been teaching for a couple years and I have seen her with Golden off and on an various comps.

17. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

It's a different Brockman then.

18. SexyMan2Cha

SexyMan2Cha New Member

Hehe, I see a number of bay area entries. It's fun to see names of people that you know locally competiting in hawaii.

19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yes, different family.

20. Laura

Laura New Member

Yep, there's a good number of SF Bay Area people here. It's really easy to get to Honolulu from the Bay Area after all. About a 5 hour flight, and depending on what days you fly the airfares were as low as $270! Makes up fro the hotel, which is $235/night. It's just as nice as the $89/night hotel we had for USA Dance Nationals -- but *right on the water* at Waikiki, and you know what they say about real estate: it's all about location, Location, LOCATION.

It's another beautiful day here, I'm watching surfers outside my window while I'm working on my hair and makup.