Ballroom Dance > Hawaii Star Ball

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Laura, Aug 24, 2006.

1. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

What is Rule 11?

Thanks!

Paula

2. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Rule 11 is the final tie-breaker rule used in multi-dance events. If you noticed in the earlier result the second and third place couples equally split the seconds and thirds in the individual dances.

Rule 11 basically says, instead of treating this event as a 4-dance event (each judges with n (probably 9? judges), re-score the tied-places as if it were a single dance with 4*n judges -- who "won" their dances by a larger margin.

3. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Thanks NielsenE!

4. Laura

Laura New Member

I was going to buy some when I got to the gate area for my flight, but then I didn't...I mean really, I can get them at home at the Safeway. What I really wanted was a bottle of that macademia nut liquer, but I didn't want to put it in my suitcase in case it broke all over my ballgown, and TSA regulations prohibit me from bring it on board in my carry-on. It's a shame, because I make the most awesome pina coladas from fresh young Thai coconuts and fresh pineapple.

Overall the comp was nice, in a vacationy kind of way. The fields were very small except for the Pro/Am "B" and "C" Standard. And because of that, the Rising Star and Open Pro Standard was big enough to have semi-finals. But everything else was small. Still, it was worth going for me :)

5. Laura

Laura New Member

Some more results, phoned in:

Open Professional Standard (11 couples started)
    1. Igor Litvinov & Julia Ivleva (1-1-1-1-1)
    2. Ikaika Dowsett & Jula Walker (2-4-2-2-2)
    3. Giacomo Agrello & Alexandria Hawkins
    4. one of the three Japanese couples entered
    5. Slawek Sochacki & Marzena Stachura
    (didn't get the rest..and I might have 4th and 5th reversed)

6. reb

reb Active Member

Wow! Ikaika and Jula are moving up - to beat Giacomo!

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Way to go, Three Step!

8. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Hey all... thanks for the kind words.

It was great getting to see Laura and ThreeStep, too!

This was definitely a great way to kick off a pro career, given we only danced one day and the rest of our time there was spent at the beach (swimming, snorkling, surfing...).

I may have some video clips of our event online within the next day or so, and I'm filtering the photos, too...

Parkwest was the photographer, so there are some proofs on their site, but I grabbed a few to post here:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Next year, I really have to resist the temptation of going to the beach before we've competed, since flip-flops and walking in the sand took a little toll on my feet... the rest of my pains were inflicted after we danced (coral scrapes and sunburns).

Anyway, congrats to the other participants and hopefully my tan won't wear off too quickly!

9. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

see, if I was out on the beach, I'd completely blow off the competition...but that's because I don't get the opportunity to step on *that* kind of a beach very often.

Really nice photos, Porfirio. I especially like the last one...very nice extension on Laetitia.

10. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Why? If nothing else, You get precious free natural sun tan.

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think P+L are not as much concerned about that as someone like Larinda might be. ;)

12. Porfirio Landeros

As promised, here's the link to the video clips:
    [​IMG]

All that's left now is to get the underwater camera in for processing, but I have a feeling those pictures may not get to see the light of day ;-)

13. Laura

Laura New Member

For some reason when I watch this I get the audio and just the splash screen that says "2006 Hawai'i Star Ball" on it.

By the way, when they recorded me, they did it in "wide screen," so my video looks weird on a regular TV but fine on my letterbox-shaped TV at home. Did yours come out okay for a regular TV, or did you do something different when you digitized it for upload?

14. Porfirio Landeros

The video's also up on my myspace page, if the LiveDigital one is acting up... I think both of the players are Flash-based, if you're still getting an error.
    Actually, yeah! It was weird, because we have a widescreen TV, and I asked Laetitia if we lost weight because we looked "normal" when I'm used to us being stretched out when I watch competition videos on the plasma. That explains why when I ported it to the web we look a little compressed (even thinner).

The quality of the tape isn't that great, which is kind of surprising when there was a feature like widescreen available. It's like old-school VHS quality instead of Hi-8 or miniDV.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Y'all just need a lil more experience with video processing. ;) When authored properly, a DVD will play letterboxed on a 4:3 TV and full 16:9 on a 16:9 TV.

16. Porfirio Landeros

But that's the weird part, the vendor provided us with a VHS video tape (not DVD) that seems to be in 16:9... I've never had that before, which is fine since I watch it on my widescreen anyway... I just never saw a VHS from a video vendor in 16:9 before, and when Laura brought it up in confirmed what I experienced on my TV, since we're used to looking stretched-wide when watching VHS on my plasma. Instead, we look stretched tall when watching this tape on a 4:3 screen in the dance studio.

Either way, I have it on DVD now that I've converted it 8)

17. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Regardless of the video format, the dancing is beautiful!

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You're right, that's odd. You'd think that if they were gonna give you widescreen VHS they'd at least ask if you had a widescreen TV!