General Dance Discussion > "Head of the Studio"

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Pacion, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

If you were "Head of the Studio" or the Dance Teacher for the day, what would you do/not do and why? This is the sister thread to the Emperor for the Day thread :lol:

2. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Concentrate on Dance Ettiquette for Followers and Leaders. :? SeeYou're Not the Boss of Me thread.

3. Monsour

Monsour New Member

One thing I'd do is teach the importance of flare and attitude.

When I danced with a standard dancing school doing Jazz, tap, ballet etc etc they taught you the steps but never really taught us the importance of attitude.

I'd also teach the importance of feeling the music instead of counting one two three do this step at one do this step at three......

thats what real dancing is about feeling the music and having flare and attitude...

4. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

I I were the head of the school, I would make sure that those with an overinflated ego were given a reality check.

Back to the basics!!!

5. johnnywalker

johnnywalker New Member

Woohoo!!!!!!!....you go girl.

Can I send a few people your way then? :D

6. DancingMommy

::bow::

Thanks! I just can't stand to see "silver" or "gold" dancers who can't frigging do a frigging basic ON TIME!!! It's not about being a step-monster, grrrrrrrrrrr

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yes, but how do you really feel about it? :wink:

8. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Hmm.... If I were "Head of the Studio" for a day... Well, the first thing I would do is hold an open workshop for people who've wanted to learn how to dance but may not have gotten to it for whatever reason. So I'd have a few simple basic steps taught for some Latin and Standard dances. The second thing I'd do is get some help on my technique -- as far as using the hips, knees, etc. are concerned! :oops: I know my teacher said that that comes with time, which I don't get, but I'd like help! =^__^=

...I think that might be it, as far as that goes. But, I'd have a lot of fun! :D :banana: Who wouldn't?!

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

9. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Well post away SK!

There are lots of threads on Latin motion--basically, though, the hip motion comes from the knees and feet. Settle into your hip, step onto a bent leg, straighten the leg so that both legs are straight for just a second, as you shift the weight into your other hip, then settle into your other hip, stepping onto the other bent leg at the same time. That's Latin motion in basic. 8)

10. SDsalsaguy

Not necessarily GR!

If you're doing International Latin cha cha or rumba you most certainly do not step onto a flexed leg. The primary technique difference between these and their American counterparts is precisely that of stepping onto a straight leg.

11. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:notworth: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

:twisted: How about setting one of these workshops up at every Salsa Congress around the world.....? I'm sure it's a global issue worth addressing in the next Summit :wink: !

12. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Have everyone try dancing the most basic figures in the opposite role.

Just an ounce of perspective towards what your partner is doing can be increadibly valuable.

13. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

You know, one of my local studios have just done it at the start of this year. The responds were fanatastic......they got soooooo many new students through the door (ok, you do get some freebie-getters :roll: who show up for the Open Week & never to be seen again).

I recommend this promotional method. While it may not suit everyone, it's certainly worked for a small, independent, own-operator one like this.

14. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Chris - I love your signature quote!

15. SDsalsaguy

Ditto! :D

16. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Yay! Technique help! But first:
    Just to clarify, when I said, "I know my teacher said that that comes with time, which I don't get..." I meant that I don't get time into the studio. :roll: :oops: Just clearing that up!

Thanks for the help, Genesius, and I think, SD, that we're doing mostly International Latin styles... He *did* teach me the American Cha Cha, but I think that there were only a few differences there, from the little that I've learned. (Starting position's different, I know.) And he briefly mentioned some differences between American and International Rhumba... I don't really remember those... :) :oops: I think American was supposed to be faster... I suppose I shall learn that one day! (But I'm sure one of you all here will be that kind to enlighten me! :D )
    My main problem on the technique is just that there's no real, smooth swing to it yet. Again, my teacher said that that will come later, so I should worry about getting the steps and after that, working on trying to improve my technique. There are a couple steps that I think it's almost there on! ...But then, *doing* it in dance is the real test to that, ne? :roll:

Kudos to you, Chris, your sig is indeed awesome! ...So long as you don't swallow those legos.... :twisted: :wink:

See you guys!

17. DancingMommy

I'm afraid DanceMentor would revoke my posting privileges if I told you how I REALLY felt about it!

18. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:D :banana: :lol: :D :banana: :lol: :D :banana: :lol:

I love you! =^______^= :twisted: :wink: