Salsa > Hello I am new here

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by SalsaGeek, Sep 23, 2003.

1. SalsaGeek

SalsaGeek New Member

Just wanted to say hi to everyone since I am new. I've been dancing salsa for about 2 years and loving every minute of it. Not an expert but hopefully I will be able to contribute my $0.02 in the future. Anyone do Rueda here? I've been learning how to do that for about a year but I have yet to meet anyone outside of our little group in Spokane WA.

2. Danish Guy

Danish Guy New Member

Welcome to the club SalsaGeek 8)

Rueda is fun. I have only tried it on an weekend workshop, but I an ready for more :D

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums, SalsaGeek.

I'm mostly a ballroom geek, myself, and like you, have been doing salsa only a couple years. No expert here, although I do have MUCH fun with it.

A warm welcome to you. :D

Jenn

4. SalsaGeek

SalsaGeek New Member

I am into ballroom dancing too. Just did my first competition 4 months ago. It's very different than club dancing. 8)

5. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

welcome to the dance-forums SalsaGeek... I've done rueda in a few socials but that is about it.

6. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

SalsaGeek...Welcome to the forums!!!

It's always good to see new people in here...

I like Rueda, but haven't been too much into it...

7. pygmalion

Wow! How did your first comp go? I'm getting ready for my first comp sometime early next year. (Is there an emoticon for panic? :lol: ) Really, though, I'm very excited about it. Was your comp all you expected? How did it feel being out there on the floor in front of the judges? Do you do pro-am or am-am? Oh, I don't what to ask. Just tell me stuff, please. :D :lol:

This is cool!

8. SalsaGeek

SalsaGeek New Member

My first comp went REALLY well. Way beyond my expectations! I did 2 team dances with my dance team (Cha Cha & ECS) then I did heats with my instructor. The highlight was my Mambo solo with my instructor because we got call back to perform again during the dinner show and we won one of the supreme awards. Overall it was exciting but I was nervous as hell during the dinner show because EVERYONE got to see it. I would definitely recommend it. :)

9. pygmalion

Yay! :D Wow! :D :D

That must've been so fantastic! That's got me decided. Up 'til now, I had been fence-sitting, because I'm really not into competing much at all, even though I love dancing and performing. But what you describe sounds like SUCH a high! I must try it.

10. SalsaGeek

SalsaGeek New Member

Have you seen a dance comp in person? If not, you should go to one before competiting just to get the feel of it. I believe competitions made me a better dancer. I finally got my turn out and my latin motions. Woohoo!

Yay! :D Wow! :D :D

That must've been so fantastic! That's got me decided. Up 'til now, I had been fence-sitting, because I'm really not into competing much at all, even though I love dancing and performing. But what you describe sounds like SUCH a high! I must try it.[/quote]

11. pygmalion

Yes. I've been to a few comps. Some all amateur. Some pro and pro-am. And I took pages of notes at each one, and discussed after with my coach.

I'm really excited about this competition thing. I think it will help me focus better on specific goals, and maybe achieve more. There's no better incentive to practice than the thought of performing in front of hundreds of people. :lol:

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Welcome SalsaGeek,

While I'm primarily an ECS and Cha-Cha person I do enjoy Salsa.

I understand that an instructor who use to live here is now in Spokane. At least she was the last I heard, but don't know if she's teaching anywhere. She is from that part of the country originally.

13. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

:D Hola SalsaGeek! Welcome to the forum! This is an awesome place, and though I am fairly new here myself, you'll find yourself addicted to this place before you know it.... :wink:

Salsa was a first love in dancing for me, and I had found Rueda to be a lot of fun, though did not have much chance to dance it other than at certain events. Barely dipping my foot in ballroom myself, how was it for you at the competition?

14. SalsaGeek

SalsaGeek New Member

What's her name? What dance studio she likes to hang out at?

15. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Her name was Tammie McKenzie, but she got married to someone who was also an instructor so I don't what her last name is now. I have no idea what studio she'd go to. The only thing I heard about her was that she was either working in or managing a store there in Spokane.

16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Sorry to be late to the party, but let me add my voice to the welcoming committee. Great to have you here with us!

Out of curiosity, how did you get started with ballroom? Did it branch off from salsa for you or was it a separate development?

17. SalsaGeek

SalsaGeek New Member

My ballroom coach saw me salsa dance at a salsa workshop and she invited me to try out for her dance team. I joined the team and the rest is history. :lol:

18. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Great to meet you salsageek! You give me hope that one day I may try to compete :)

Oh yeah, I've got rueda skillz!! :D