Ballroom Dance > Help for what to Charge for Cotillion

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by JesseTL, Oct 21, 2017.

1. JesseTL

JesseTL New Member

Hello Forum! I am hoping to get some advice from the collective intelligence. I am going to be teaching my first Cotillion classes at a local high school (so excited!). I got the dreaded question of how much to charge. Thankfully i have a little bit of time to get back to her but I will need to come up with something soon.

Details: I will be teaching 6 Classes, each 1 hour and 30 minutes, and there are estimated to be between 15-20 students (depending on the last minute sign ups getting their tuition on time) Also I do not know how much they are being charged for the whole thing.

My first thought was $600 which would be $100 per class but I dont know if that is too much or not nearly enough :O If anyone has experience or advice I would apreciate it so much! I cant find anything online on how much to charge for a teacher. there is a lot about how much individual students should expect to pay but considering I am just a portion of their Cotillion education its hard to judge how much of that percentage i should expect.

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I think 100 is a bit steep.. 60 per session may get you more work..

3. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

What's a Cotillion?
    I googled.
    co·til·lion
    kəˈtilyən/
    noun
    noun: cotillion; plural noun: cotillions
    1. 1.
      an 18th-century French dance based on the contredanse.
      • US
        a quadrille.
    2. 2.
      US
      a formal ball, especially one at which debutantes are presented.
    Are you teaching the dance? or something else?

The most prominent teacher of community education Ballroom Dance in my town charges $65.00 for her series of 4 90 minute classes per pupil.
    Her class size varies, but she probably earns at least $150.00 per session.

Hope that helps.

Attached Files:

4. JesseTL

JesseTL New Member

I will be teaching 3 or 4 intro styles of dance. Waltz, Tango and a Latin selection (more than likely cha-cha but i will see how they do with the first two.) And if they get those fast enough ill add a foxtrot for the last class. They will dance what they have learned, along with the other lessons of cotillion at a formal dance at the end of the session.

I normally charge 25/couple and 15/singles per class for my intro lessons. with an average of 4 couples at least. so i went with that being my bench mark. And also that a private class lesson is around 100. So you think that it wouldnt be too much to ask for 100? I would prefer to make a little more than 60 per class but if thats where I have to go when discussing it I will.

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I feel confused about units. When you say $100, do you mean $100/person/class, or $100/group/class, or $100/person/all-classes, or something else?

Also, I know nothing about cotillions: Why treat this differently than any group class? (Last time I thought about it, $10-to-$15/person/45-min-group-class seemed reasonable to me.)

Also, 20 people seems like a fairly sizable group and I wonder (not that it's any of my business, not to say that 20 students for one teacher is unworkable, and not to say you haven't already thought of it) whether it might not be helpful for you to have an assistant of some sort. I mention it because it seems reasonable to me to have a per-person rate go hand-in-hand with an "optimal" (whatever that means) student-teacher ratio.

6. JesseTL

JesseTL New Member

The price I am contemplating is $100/class. Cotillion is a series of classes focusing on etiquette in various forms. One of the aspects is ballroom dance. which is where I come in. I will be guiding the students through a series of dances. introducing the basics of at least 3 styles (more if they are a quick learning group). The students pay a fee for the classes which covers instructors, materials and rental of the location for the end of session "Ball" where they will showcase all that they have learned in a formal environment.

7. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Are you expected to have a role in the final Ball? If so, you might want to build that into your pricing.

8. DL

DL Well-Known Member

...$100/class ... for the group overall (still confused)? That works out as $2.50/student/45m * 2 45m/class * 20 student == $100/class.

$2.50 for 45m of group class instruction sounds to me like an exceptional bargain for a student (putting aside studio monthly subscription models with a broad mix of frequent/infrequent attendees who also tend to take separately priced private lessons).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  9. tangotime

Think of time spent, not numbers .Group classes are a different concept as each attend separately (The cotill. is a group of course but a closed session ) .
    I have taught cotilll in the past and keeping the rate within that range was asked back .

10. tangotime

2 reasons; they are children and it is a closed session.

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

100 a class for twenty students is very reasonable

12. tangotime

You also need to teach etiquette as in how to ask a lady to dance, and Walking her back to her seat.

13. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Please, think long and hard about perpetuating "the leader has to be the one to ask for a dance". I know it's a traditional setting, but in many ballroom/dance communities it is accepted for followers to ask leaders as well. At the studio I dance at, more than OK--the leaders appreciate it for a variety of reasons. At other ballroom dance events, it varies, but many leaders welcome it.

IndyLady and Larinda McRaven like this.
  14. snapdancer

Also floor craft. At least to explaining line of dance and how to respect the right of others to use the floor properly.

RiseNFall likes this.
  15. tangotime

I have taught cotillion and the school teacher that organised the event gave me instructions about " manners " in dance related situations .

And, this NOT a B/room setting and are children .To make comparisons with other "settings " is best left to adults who enter class work..

16. tangotime

I thought that, would go with out saying for the experienced teacher !

17. snapdancer

Wish that were so. In practice, if floor craft is taught it is rare and an afterthought. Often teaching amalgamations go against the line of dance.

18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have teen and pre-teen classes. We spend a lot of time practicing asking partners to dance, leaders and followers equally.