General Dance Discussion > "Help!" How far in advance do you know...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Pacion, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I have seen some of our young (teenage) members asking for help to learn how to dance and some say that they need to learn in 2 days :shock: others have said 10. (I am still waiting for someone to say 2 hours :wink: )

I have to admit to being intrigued. How much notice do you generally have that a school dance or prom will be held? I imagine that there is a good 3 months lead time (advance warning)?

I know next to nothing about the American school system but does the school/college give you such sort notice otherwise?

2. sanityhaven

sanityhaven New Member

It's been about 5 years since High School, but as I recall the dates for the dances were set for the entire school year, before it started. The thing is, students don't take much notice of things that are serveral months in the future. I know I didn't.

This is just speculation, but I think that most of the people who post here asking for help, were the ones who were orginially not planning on attending a dance. Then some reason (they got asked, theres a special person they want to impress, etc.) they are now going to it on short notice.

3. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Oh, okay, Sanityhaven. Just as long as they are not all leaving it for the "last minute" :wink:

4. Laura

Laura New Member

Hell, I knew my Senior prom would be in the June of the year I graduated from the time I was Freshman. So that would give me about...let's see...3 years and 9 months advance notice. :) ;)

5. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Plenty of time to turn into a pro! Were you dancing at the time? How did it go?
    Pacion, young people like fast solutions. They think JLo or Usher or whoever they see in MTV learnt his/her routines in a couple of days. So not true. Most of the non-dancers aren't aware of how difficult it is to do that figure eight hip motion or a twinkle.
    Erm. Forgot I'm "young" too. :p Whaddya know...

Twilight Elena

6. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Sometimes I have to envy a young person's way of not worrying about anything until the last minute. Those same kids will leave a 10 page paper until the day before it is due, come into my office two minutes before their Physics final and ask to borrow a calculator, only wash their clothes (or dishes) when EVERYTHING is dirty! etc.
    Sometimes it is a pain to be older and try to stay organized!

7. luh

luh Active Member

well i think i don't plan very far in advance either, so I'm probably one of those "young fellows".
    But just to add this:
    My gym teacher - or what ever you call it in english - told me that i should do my SLA "Special learn Activity" (some dumb invention of the state) in gym, and teach the class swing. I have 40 minutes, to introduce, the etiquette, dance one dance for them, that they know how it looks like, and than get them ready for beeing able to dance, probably with swingins and outs. The prob is that they are all non-dancers, and most of them don't want to dance. HF teaching in that short time! (It really is something different if you have 40 people wanting to learn it!)
    so know you got it under 2 h Pacion :lol:
    luh

8. dTas

dTas New Member

i don't know what you all are talking about... i just woke up one day and knew how to dance. WhAh-LAh!

of course i stumbled along for 5 yrs in various classes and private lessons thinking i knew what i was doing.

9. luh

luh Active Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

well i guess you missed a lot than :D ( a lot of fun i mean) :p

i hope you don't loose it over night again! ;););)
    luh

10. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i wana learn to dance in 2 minutes.. anybody? :p

11. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:doh: It depends: a) on what dance you want to learn; b) are you a quick learner? and c) who or what you want to look like at the end of the two minutes :roll: (which I am assuming will be a total of 120 seconds and not a micro second more!) :tongue: :lol:

12. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I have had many wedding couples call for lessons at the last minute. I used to think one month was a short time, but I've had one couple who only gave me an hour to make them look better! I did make them look a whole lot better in that one lesson, though. They were happy. :roll:

13. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

I would have been too! :D After a couple of basic WCS lessons, My wife and I looked even worse than when we started :cry:

14. dTas

dTas New Member

but really... is there any skill in life that is easy to master in a relatively short amount of time? i think not.

15. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree totally. :)

16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Best to teach single step ECS then with such a restricted time for tecahing people to dance.

17. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

I once had a retired gentleman come in for a dance lesson on a Tuesday for a date with a lady "who knew how to dance" on a Friday. He learned a little Foxtrot and EC Swing, but I know he expected to come out of the lesson looking like Fred Astaire. :wink:

18. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

They all do, eventually. Why do they thnk it's so easy? :shock:

Sabor, I can teach many things in two mins... :wink: :wink: *nudge nudge*
    And I meant about dancing... whatever were you thinking? :p :p

Twilight Elena

P.s. The DF powers of corruption are tainting my innocent soul... I am turning into a flirt maniac! Help! :p

19. Sabor

Sabor New Member

:shock: :lol: