General Dance Discussion > Help I can only seem to dance with my Teacher

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Vanessa Knowles, Jul 15, 2016.

1. joedance

joedance Member

I disagree on this statement. An studio pays a fixed cost for floor space that is not that likely to be used on Friday and Saturday evenings for lessons and is certainly not going to be used for showcases every single weekend. If a studio can draw a certain number of people for social dancing (that number depends on how much extra they have to pay to staff it, for food / drinks, and for the utilities bill), then they make money that goes straight to the bottom line for each incremental attendee.

Note that I think this would primarily affect independant studios, my impression is that chain studios are also selling the social aspect and thus, a party is required for the overall business model.

2. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Most of the dance studios in my area have a business model that depends on weekend rentals for wedding receptions, etc. They may have regular Friday night events, but Saturdays & Sundays mostly reserved for events.

3. liiam16

liiam16 New Member

You just need more practice. Keep practicing and you'll get better.

4. Partner Dancer

Partner Dancer Well-Known Member

This approach would sound reasonable, except it's often difficult for many studios to draw the number
    of customers to make weekend dances worthwhile (partially due to dilution from too many dances/
    events). Also, studio staff typically don't want to have the added responsibility of running dances,
    after working hard enough on weekdays. Oftentimes, studios would just rent the space/time to
    "independent" social dance organizers to deal with the financial risks.

The social studio parties (and occasional weekend events) at chains/franchises, in addition to building
    bond/community (or "cult" if you will), also helps the dancing greatly as they act as "forced" practice
    sessions, wherein the instructors really push students to go participate (and spend $$$, of course).
    On average, I still find students/graduates of chains to be the best social dancers, not only because
    of skills but also for attitude.

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I don't actually know any studios that DON'T run their socials on Fridays and have lessons available on at least Saturday. The fact you're going to have to work weekends is just part of working for a dance studio. It's rather like working in a restaurant: if you don't want to work evenings and weekends, find an office job.

Larinda McRaven and stash like this.
  6. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

LOL. I'll have to remember that when I'm with a client at 8PM.

7. Newdancer81

Newdancer81 Active Member

Or when you are doing budgets until 2 am or on a weekend lol.

stash likes this.
  8. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Work smarter, not harder, gentlemen. ;)

IndyLady and danceronice like this.
  9. Newdancer81

Newdancer81 Active Member

Lol, hard to avoid when you deal with a head office in Asia that wants you at meetings. The so called bright side of working in an International role lol.

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Honestly, if you're not making over six figures, completely NOT worth it.

IndyLady, MaggieMoves and blackswan like this.
  11. blackswan

blackswan Member

You do mean 'at least' six figures, right? Because I believe many, if not most, six figure jobs would require this or equivalent sacrifice. And if one were making seven figures - well probably none of this would be of concern ;-)

12. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Agreed, but even then there are still ways to avoid crazy work schedules.

I turn off my work phone when I leave the office.

danceronice likes this.
  13. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Not my experience at all. My studio is a social studio that has just begun to dabble in competitions the last few years or so. Groups every weekday evening, and practice party once a week. There are three studios under the same franchise owner so I can attend 3 parties/week if desired. There are plenty if weekly socials at other studios too around town (3 come to mind immediately).

The only way to learn to deal with crazy stuff on a social floor is to get out there and encounter it. Same as for a comp floor.

LateToTheDance and raindance like this.
  14. blackswan

blackswan Member

Loki likes this.
  15. Partner Dancer

Partner Dancer Well-Known Member

It's an addictive downward spiral. Once studios/instructors figure out that comps/shows
    bring in the dough, by increasing (private and coaching) lesson count and activity/event
    fees, the propensity to steer students that way will grow. Note that the "steer" means
    towards the direction of greater spending. The pecking order of instructors at a studio
    is typically with the "competition" instructors who bring greater business at the top.

Dance events (comps) have strived to increase number of entries/heats at the expense
    of social dancing (between heats or at night) as well. Even the non-Ballroom dance
    events have steered towards the Ballroom model, by pushing pro-am and allowing a
    given competitor to enter heats of the same dance at multiple levels (hence increasing
    entries).

Loki likes this.
  16. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I'm not shaking in my dance shoes. They've got various ways of getting students to spend money, not just comps. We have a decent balance between the two.

I willbe sure to report back to you when all groups/parties have been eliminated and I haven't seen any wedding couples in 6 months.

RiseNFall and blackswan like this.
  17. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Because I'm a man!

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

going to chime in here...forgive me if I repeat what others have said...

1) it is normal to dance better with your pro because a) he is going to be better at knowing what you are likely to do and abd accomodate it, nevermind that you are accustomed to him and b) he is simply a better dancer so he will make you feel like a better dancer

2) 2 other things could be in play and you are probably not yet experienced enough to know which is the larger factor.....a) if you are taking privates then dancing with a people who don't take privates, they may not have benefit of the info you have and you may actually be doing better than you think but it doesn't work with someone who hasn't had the same amount of private instruction, or b)what you fear may be true that you are not as good as it feels like you are with your pro...

what I will say is this.....I have put over 100k into my dancing over the past decade and social dancing can still feel less gratifying that lessons with a pro, but I am better at knowing why...and I no longer need to assign or accept blame...shrug...social dancing is a messy business...in time you get over that and just accept it for what it is...

but it is true that the only way to get okay with that is to do more of it and get over the ego drain of trying to make it go well every time

19. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

OK, since I have been accused of being negative about women let me begin by saying this
    This is a very profound phenomenon that I have never quite understood before. Sometimes, while social dancing, the training I have received in private lessons is not accepted well by ladies that have probably only had group lessons. To them, getting into a frame or gliding instead of marching feels uncomfortable and awkward. Many things can bother these types of dancers.

So being well trained can actually be a disadvantage on the social dance floor.

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well...I wouldn't call it a disadvantage, but I would say that you have to treat it like a language....you can't dance in a language that someone else can't speak and expect them to appreciate it