General Dance Discussion > HELP! I don't have a crush on my dance instructor, and I need advice!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by wooh, Nov 27, 2014.

1. novemberecho

novemberecho Member

I haven't read anything in this discussion that I haven't witnessed personally, so I guess 'yes' to the creepy question. Though I think in most cases it's more confusion/not knowing any better than creep factor.
    five stars for the refreshing entertainment :)

Hedwaite likes this.
  2. It's me.

It's me. Member

And if you don't have a crush, what really makes you dance at a studio more than just going to parties?

3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Is that a serious question? It would be "because my teacher works there/owns the place." (I ought to go to the party tonight, but I'm just so not motivated...)

It's me. likes this.
  4. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

At my old studio, I was friends with a woman who did exactly this. She'd complain to me that she only danced with him 3 times in an hour long party. I told her to stop counting and the whole point of the party really was to NOT dance with your instructor anyway. She was very jealous when a woman she perceived as her "rival" (also a friend of mine) dance with him. I always wonder if she did the same when I danced with "her" instructor.

Ultimately I left the studio because of his emotional sales tactics. I can see how some people get hooked to that.

5. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing! It makes more sense to meet my pro, coach, and am partner at the studio for lessons and practice than anywhere else...

It's me. likes this.
  6. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I sometimes can't tell if people are trolling, or just really dumb.

dancelvr, Ailuene, Loki and 5 others like this.
  7. It's me.

It's me. Member

People are dumb. Although the right question is what gives you the passion to be more attracted to dance at a studio than just going to parties? You already know enough, and at parties there's kind of a feeling with the unknown that you'll find there, while at the studio, there's nothing more. You can learn new moves from videos as well... So if there isn't the flirt-y dancing style and condition, what is it?

8. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Because new moves aren't all people want to learn in their dancing? So like...technique and such is not really super teachable in exclusively video form... Also just from a personal view, I will never feel like I "know enough" in my dancing, which is why I always seek out lessons.

stash, IndyLady and SwayWithMe like this.
  9. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

So you are saying if there is NOT flirty dancing, then it's not worth going to that studio? I'm confused by this entire post

Hedwaite likes this.
  10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Not correctly, you can't. Maybe adequate for social dancing among a very untrained crowd, but even social dancing with an accomplished dance crowd, videos won't do much if you give yourself bad habits, because the video can't tell if you're doing it right. Parties are just a byproduct of happening to dance at a particular studio. It would never have occurred to me to go if they weren't a big part of the culture at my first studio (and luckily it was generally a very accomplished crowd so bad dances were relatively rare.) Just not relevant to taking lessons in a skill (I wouldn't go hang out at a barn for fun or go to a skating rink to chat instead of practice.) Here, I live far enough away I don't feel obligated to go very often. Lessons are much more important, and showcases and competitions, parties are just an occasional change of pace.

11. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

OK, the way I am understanding OP's post is that new moves is not all that people want to learn....there has to be some other attraction to go to a dance studio....new moves can be learned from videos as well. And if there isn't flirty dancing...what is it?

It's me. likes this.
  12. Rhythmdancer

Rhythmdancer Well-Known Member

idk i meen liek hvng a krush n flirt with yer instructer iz absolutely liek importantz but i meen u mite wunt to imprezz dat kute person at the partee.

13. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Or both.

It's me. likes this.
  14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

evil.... rhythm dancer.... very evil

It's me. likes this.
  15. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Both! Because you use the new moves to imprss teh cueties.

It's me. likes this.
  16. tancos

tancos Active Member

I always go to the group lesson before the parties. Outside of learning additional material and improving my form, the main reason is to meet people when they rotate partners. It's a lot easier to ask someone to dance later when you've already made contact at the lesson. I can also figure out who dances at about the same level as I do, and who follows my lead well.

17. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

FTR, I initially thought this was in a foreign language and was about to open up Google translate, until I took a second look and realized it was "phonetically" written.

Well done, well done.

novemberecho and It's me. like this.
  18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I received a misdirected text once that said, "U no wut I meen 2?"

I was thinking that person would have been an excellent candidate to run for school board.

danceronice and It's me. like this.
  19. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

How about learning how to dance? I suppose some people can be satisfied by learning "enough," but the more you know about dance, the more you realize you never know "enough." There is ALWAYS more to learn. You can always get better.

Loki, Hedwaite, danceronice and 3 others like this.
  20. Rhythmdancer

Rhythmdancer Well-Known Member

butt i meen liekz y git bttr? watz da piont if y00h rnt d0ing it 4 da cutiez our yer teecher? if u dunt hve a krush on sum 1 y danze? dats y i stpped cuz i culdnt git a krush on ne danzer pplz n stff.

scullystwin42, wooh, It's me. and 2 others like this.