Tango Argentino > Help! I need tango music!

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by dance-fanatic, Aug 6, 2004.

1. dance-fanatic

dance-fanatic New Member

I found this CD on ebay:

Cuarteto Cedron Madrugada New Argentine Tango CD

and here's the content:

Cuarteto Cedron Madrugada New Cd. Argentine edition. Songs are: 1 OTRAS PREGUNTAS 2 PASABA ALGO 3 GIORNALISMO 4 LA TOS 5 EXTRAÑURA 6 LA MUCHACHA DEL BALCÓN 7 SIETE 8 VELORIO DEL SOLO 9 EL PARATE (TEMA INSTRUMENTAL) 10 EL JUEGO EN QUE ANDAMOS 11 MADRUGADA (TEMA INSTRUMENTAL) 12 MADRUGADA 13 CIERTO 14 HIMNO DE LA VICTORIA (EN CIERTAS CIRCUNSTANCIAS) 15 A ROBERTO ARLT (TEMA INSTRUMENTAL) 16 JUGUETES 17 MI BUENOS AIRES QUERIDO 18 COSTUMBRES 19 PARLATE

Does anyone know if this CD is any good? I'd like to have some AT music that is nice to dance to (and I don't particularly care for Astor Piazzolla), any recommendation??

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I wished that I listened to more AT music. What music you want depends on your tastes. For instance, do you like music that is lyrical (Di Sarli), vs rthymical, (D'Arienzo)? However, one good compilation CD that will give you a taste of a variety of AT music, to determine what you like is "Pa Que Bailer Los Muchachos con las mejores orqestas del tango". It does not have any of that new stuff, plus gives a variety of tangos, milongas, and vals. Price, variety, quality!! For these reasons I have discovered this is the most recommended CD set. If anyone else has something that beats this as a starter CD please let me know.

Don't limit yourself to Amazon if you want to buy AT music. Limited selection at unreasonable prices IMO. One guide to building a muisc collection which I found by googling is

http://www.tejastango.com/tango_music_collection.html

At the very least this lists a couple different places where one can buy AT music.

3. dance-fanatic

dance-fanatic New Member

Thanks for your suggestion. However..... I googled "Pa Que Bailer....." and all sites came out were.... spanish. Since I don't speak spanish..... :((

I tried to search that particular CD in some CD stores but to no avail, including some stores listed on the web site you mentioned. Do you know where might be a good place to get it? Thanks!!

4. Sagitta

The other link that I gave...?

I'm pm'ing you the link in a second. May not be the cheapest place but it is worth every penny.

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

try ebay: I have found its a cheap place to start until you know what you like: ALways check the track listings though as the most popular tangos keep poppping up on compilations.
    Thee is a huga amopunt out there but Calo;D'Arenzio, Di Sarli are good for starters. Hugo Diaz is also interesting. Piazzolla is wonderful but not necessarily dance music.

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Any self-respecting tango-lover will have some Gardel in the collection.

7. Sagitta

Gardel? :? :wink:

8. 10Dancer

10Dancer New Member

Carlos Gardel (an AT legend, so to speak)

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I guess you aren't a self-respecting tango-lover. :D

10. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Gardel???!!!!!

you can't dance to Gardel. ............
    :?
    Gardel is gathering dust
    :?