General Dance Discussion > Help! I'm getting ready for my first comp! What now?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Sep 24, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Guess what? Today, my coach asked if I'd like to enter my first comp. IN ONE MONTH! Where is that panic emoticon when you need it? Of course, I'm thinking about it. Just curious, though. You competitive dancers, what do I need to do to get ready?

Obviously, my coach will handle all the choregraphy and so forth. But what do I need to do?

2. SalsaGeek

SalsaGeek New Member

Practice practice practice and more practice! :lol:
    I practice in the shower, car, work, etc. That is if you are doing a solo. Perform for others and have them judge you. Doesn't matter if they know how to dance or not.

Eat, Dance, and Sleep Dance for a month!!! 8)

3. pygmalion

Yay! I'm SO excited! :D

Thanks for the input. :D

Jenn

4. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Dance in front of a mirror if you can. Get someone to video tape your dance so you can see what you look like. Dance in front of others. Our comp. dancers do a dance for our class so they can get used to dancing in front of an audience. Practice smiling even if you're nervous!!

5. SalsaGeek

SalsaGeek New Member

Have you decided on what type of dance you are doing with your instructor?

6. pygmalion

Not yet. We've been working on open choreography for Latin dances, mostly. But quite a bit of footwork and other practice drills for smooth. Since I'm comfortably dancing in silver, I guess we'll probably enter at newcomer and/or full bronze in a couple dances. We'll decide Monday.

For my medal exams a few weeks ago, I felt great doing cha cha and rumba, and very good doing waltz and tango (all American style). Maybe we'll compete in those?

In the meanwhile, I'm working on my smooth footwork drills, spinning drills, rumba walks, spirals and Cuban motion. And basic arm styling. And tango walks. And walkaround turns. And partnership/connections. And getting into dance position beautifully. And crossover breaks. Oh yeah, and tuck turns and abdominal contractions, just in case. :shock: :lol:

7. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

:D :!: :D :!: :D :!: :D :!:

pygmalion - I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU :!: :!: :!: :!: CONGRATS :!: :!: :!: :!:

Please keep us posted on EVERYTHING!!!!!!

ALL THE BEST!!!!

8. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Don't forget to pray... A lot... Every night, twice a day, for lunch, dinner, breakfast, while driving. hehehe...

I wish you the bestest of luck... :D :D

9. pygmalion

Thanks, everyone. I'll keep you all posted. :D 8)

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hiya Jenn,
    Congratulations . . . now you know how we competitor's feel . . . it's wonderful is it not???

Just remember . . . the only ones not nervous in competition, are the ones not competing.

Practice, practice, practice . . . get the routine into muscle memory. Even if your mind is clouded with stage fright, the muscle memory will keep you in the routine.

Get your routine(s) video taped so that you can watch them over and over. Go over them at only once in bed just before you are ready to doze off.

Practice, practice, practice . . .

Stretch for at least 30 minutes prior to competing . . .

When you walk out on the floor to be introduced . . . your judging starts. As they are introducing you, don't stand flat-footed . . . stand in the third position, head up, (pardon the expression) tits up, gather the biggest smile you can muster up, breathe!

Now dance your heart out. There is no perfect dance, no perfect routine. You do not have to be perfect, and you do not need a judge to tell you how you did. If you are satisfied, then that is all that matters. Mistakes will be made, immediately leave them where they happened, keep going, and learn from those mistakes.

Remember . . . this is not life or death . . . it is only a dance.

MOST IMPORTANT: Now, when the dance is over, e-me back and tell me how it felt as you walked off the floor!

Go get some water . . . think about your next dance . . . do not sit down, keep the blood flowing through your legs or they will tighten up. Very lightly stretch . . .

You are now in a brand new world! Welcome . . .

11. pygmalion

:D

This is GREAT advice. I'll fire up my video camera and practice shoes and get to work. :D

Oh, and by the way, my coach keeps telling me that, too. Boobs up! He always blushes so cute after he says it, too. :lol: Men are funny, in an endearing kind of way. :D

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You will do great . . . I PROMISE YOU!

At least your coach said it! It is an important thing . . it will keep you upright and tall (regardless of your height), helps to keep the eyes and head up - you don't want to look down at the floor!

If you do have a tendancy to look down during certain moves . . change your count to something like this that I used in 2 Step when I had to duck under my own arm and try not to knock off my hat (I used to lower my head):

I would count "quick, quick, keep my head up" Now the head is reminded to stay up at that point!

Little things to check your brain really helps . . .

Keep me posted on how you are doing??? And when your competition is, so I can be pulling for you from a distance???

Lastly, a little prayer just before you go out??? Thanking Him for the talent abilities that you have been given . . .

13. pygmalion

Thanks for all the help and support, Vince! :D It really means a lot. I will make use of all your suggestions, and keep you posted on my progress. Promise! :D

November 2, 2003 Ballroom Blitz in Orlando, FL judged and coordinated by Slavik and Karina. Looks scary, but way fun! :D

Jenn

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

When you get your schedule, let us know what time, so we can all be sending positive thoughts your way as you are competing!!!

15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Are you going to get to see them dance? Oh, for your sake I hope you do!!! The man-woman interaction between them is just fantastic (the best in the world in my mind)...it/they are just so fantastic to watch! And she's a total sweetheart too! Just as warm and genuine as you can get -- which is really saying something when you're #3 in the world! (She even sent me a birthday card with a check for some photos she wanted. :D)

16. pygmalion

Yes! They're also performing, or I guess headlining, in the pro show. Should be a great event. :D

17. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

You're really in for a treat Jenn! You'll get to experience competing for your first time and get to see Slavik & Karina. :D

18. Gator

Gator New Member

Best of luck pygmalion :)
    U'll feel much better once U do it.

19. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

All the nervous energy you feel right before you dance can be quite exhilarating and amazing if you'll allow the energy to flow. I wish I could compete for the first time all over again. I really hope you enjoy the experience. As borikensalsero said, I think it would be great to spend a little time praying. Hopefully, you'll feel that you have a little extra support that way.

Look forward to hearing how it went!
    I've already said a prayer for you.
    Good Luck!

20. pygmalion

Thanks so much, everyone. For now, it's just nose to the grindstone time. I'll keep you updated.

Jenn :D