General Dance Discussion > Help! I'm getting ready for my first comp! What now?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Sep 24, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

No, no, No! Didn't you read Vince's posts...and your own? If your nose is to the grindstone how are you going to keep your head and, ahem, other things, up? :wink:

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol:
    LOL! Ahem... other things, huh? Good point, SD. I'll just get myself on the practice floor and see what happens. :D

Jenn

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

OK you two . . .

We're even SD!

4. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

pygmalion - And what are YOU doing in the Forum, Miss? You're supposed to be practicing! :D :wink:

5. pygmalion

Ah yes. Alas, but you are right. It's true, I need to practice every minute I can. But what can one do, when responsibility calls? :D These forums NEED me! :lol:

6. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

So true...so true! :D

7. pygmalion

Okay, so, one more competition question: how do you decide how many heats to enter (other than the obvious -- how many dances you can do! :lol: )

Here's what I think. Enter as many as you possibly can, based on level eligibility, how many dances you can do, and what you can afford, so that you stay up and dancing, and don't have a chance to stiffen up. Make sense?

What does anyone else think?

8. SDsalsaguy

It's reall an individual choice. Personally I prefer to do more if possible (floortime is always good), but prefer to do less better.

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You got it Jenn . . . stay in heat . . . er, um get as much as you can . . . let me try this again . . .
    Get as much dancing in as you can in as many heats as you can handle!

Phew . . . it's tough being careful with words :wink:

10. pygmalion

You crack me up, Vince! :lol: :lol:

I think I'm going to do somewhere between eighteen and twenty-four heats, depending on what we can get together between now and the registration deadline. Whew! Sounds like fun. :D

11. SDsalsaguy

That doesn't sound bad at all... it's just the 100+ heats that I see that I start to seriously question. (Mind you, there may be ample reason...I just think some questions are in order at that point.)

12. pygmalion

Yes, SD.

I think the goal is to enter enough events to stay warm and limber, and to keep your nerves from getting out of control (without spending enough cash to buy the teacher a new car! :lol: )

13. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Oh, my God!!!! Congratulations, Jenn...that's wonderful, but so freaky. I got asked to do my first one the same day...argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :eek: Now the only problem is finding a partner.

14. pygmalion

Maybe I should clarify. I picked heats based on the levels I'm competing in -- bronze 1 and bronze 2, the dances I know, which is most of the American Rhythm and American Smooth, the dances I feel I could be comptetitive in. That brings it down to about 24 heats. So I'll either max out or get close. (I don't like my samba much, and I can't stand hustle! :lol: So probably twenty heats. :D )

15. pygmalion

Hey MadamSamba! Thanks for the good wishes, and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. I'm doing a pro-am competition, so finding a partner is no problem. My partner is my teacher! :D

Still, I am currently looking for an amateur partner, in a back-burner kind of way. I think it will be fun to have another amateur to practice and have fun with. And maybe someday compete.

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn,
    This is your first competition. Relish it! Remember it! Have fun!

You have a bunch of heats . . . just get them on the floor for the first time, and as your routines become more and more familiar to you, the easier the competition becomes!

I remember Carolyn going on the floor once at 6:00 AM for her first dance at World's, and she completed her last dance at 3:50 AM . . . the next morning!

Keep stretching, eat for strength if its a long day, and remember to drink lots of water, and above all . . . SMILE!

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn,
    One last thing!!!

I'm sure you know that we now have the PHOTO ALBUM available!!!!

Are you reading my mind??? Make sure that you get one of your friends to get some good photos of your first comp. Then, please, please, please submit them.

Deal??? We're all pulling for you, so . . . . . . . . .

18. pygmalion

So the least you deserve is lots of photos. Got it covered. I'm taking my cheering section with me! My friends in Orlando can go in body. And I'm pretty sure my friends in DF will be there in spirit! :D

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You betcha! We ALL are pulling for you!

Have the date and time yet???

20. pygmalion

Thanks, Vince. :D

The comp starts with American Smooth at 9:00 AM on Sunday, November 2. I believe American style goes first, so I should be done by early afternoon (although I'll check on that to be sure.) Lots of fun!