Ballroom Dance > Help - Looking for American Rhythm Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by BallandChange, Apr 30, 2008.

1. BallandChange

BallandChange Member

I am in search of Albums, Ballroom CDs and/or individual songs that are true to the American Rhythm Genre in regards to its tempo, Beats per Minute (BPM). Specifically Rumba & Bolero. It would be even better yet if the music is contemporary or truely latin in origin. I am an American Rhythm dancer and am tired of practicing my Rumba and Bolero in the studio to Int'l Latin and then having to pick up the tempo when I get to competition. Please help.

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

There are several albums by La Lupe ( the most revered singer from Cuba ) that has exactly what you are seeking for Boleros .

There are many indigenous groups that play this type of music. The same for your Chas ( found under the name of Guajiras , the original form)

Go to Descarga ( a NY supplier ) who lists many choices .

Buena suerte .

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Software is your friend.

4. Ravenmoon

Ravenmoon New Member

Yeah, I've had a problem of finding rhythm music...rumba in particular. My studio actually has a fair bit of rhythm music and shares the titles with me and then I go find the CD. So many see if another studio has some music you can use or I'm always keeping an eye out for music I hear on the radio, etc.

5. jekyblue

jekyblue New Member

I've been collecting for a few years now and have a pretty good selection of both rhythm and smooth music. There are at least two CDs out there -- I think on DanceVision -- designated explicitly as American but I don't care for the one I bought. You need to listen to popular music -- including music that was formerly popular (read "old fashioned") -- but you can come up with quite a bit over time.

Bolero is not easy. I think it is technically supposed to be the same speed as International Rumba, but a lot of Intl Rumba doesn't have the bolero-ishness that you'd want. Mambo is also not easy; it's hard (for me) to pick out good Mambo tunes from the wealth of salsa music out there. But I don't think American Rumba, Cha Cha or Swing is particularly hard to come by if you keep your ears open.

It helps to get some beat counter software to help evaluate the speed of the music, and it helps to get some software to speed the music up or slow it down a bit, but I think you can find some titles that are acceptable without this.

Here is my current playlist of American Rumba titles -- from slowest to fastest. Slowest are good for practicing technique though I don't care for them otherwise. Fastest are there because I like them personally. (Can't guarantee all of these, but the list has been culled repeatedly after actual usage so most of it is acceptable to my pro.)

Vaiven by Chayenne (Sincero)
    Night and Day by Perez Blanca Band (Strictly Dancing - Rumba)
    Yellow Bird by Perez Blanca Band (Strictly Dancing - Rumba)
    Lady by Alhambra (Gypsy Kings and Queens)
    Stand by Me by Ben E King
    Mummer's Dance by Loreena McKennitt
    England 2 Columbia 0 by Kirsty MacColl (Tropical Brainstorm -- also contains the very enjoyable cha cha 'In These Shoes')
    Did You Ever Have to Make Up Your Mind by Lovin' Spoonful (you might have to be sentimental about this song to enjoy it)
    Tiempo & Silencio by Cesaria Evora (Sao Vicente -- I love this song and have heard it at comps for Am Rhythm)
    Chill Out James by Kevin Johansen (Sur o No Sur -- my version is 101% of normal speed; it will work fine without change. Love this artist.)
    What a Difference a Day makes by Judy More (Come Dance with Me)
    La Ultima Noche by Eydie Gorme (Brillantes -- contains a few good boleros also)
    Only the Lonely by Roy Orbison
    Spanish Harlem by Ben E King
    A Summer Song by Chad & Jeremy (another sentimental favorite)
    Shut Your Eyes by Snow Patrol (Eyes Open -- pro hates it but it seems fine to me)
    Let's Never Stop Falling in Love by Pink Martini (Hang On Little Tomato)
    Un Ramito De Violetas by Natalia Oreiro (Tu Veneno)
    Cubanos Postizos by Vinicius Cantuaria (Champions Select American Vol 1 -- the "official" CD I mentioned)
    Bad to Me by Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas (sentimental again)
    Talk of the Town by Jack Johnson & Kawida Kahiapo (Sing-a-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George -- a curiously appealing CD)
    Girl from Ipanema by Joao Gilberto et al (Bossa Nova Brasil -- there are LOTS of versions of this song, including a really cool cha cha they used to play at comps -- a mix by Boy George I think)

For boleros --

Eydie Gorme -- Brillantes has a few
    Olivia Molina -- Latin, Latin, Latin has several more
    The Mambo Kings has a couple
    Solamente una vez by Andrea Bocelli is a definite pick
    Whatever Happens by Michael Jackson works also
    Take My Breath Away from Top Gun is sometimes acceptable to me

6. BM

BM New Member

Quick reference:

American Rhythm
    Cha Cha - 30MPM
    Rumba - 32-36MPM
    Swing - 34-36MPM
    Bolero - 24-26MPM
    Mambo - 47-51MPM

International Latin
    Cha Cha - 30-32MPM
    Samba - 50-52MPM
    Rumba - 25-27MPM
    Paso Doble - 60-62MPM
    Jive - 42-44MPM

Spanish Harlem Orchestra has one of my favourite American Rumbas, "Danzon for My Father." Don't remember the exact MPM, but it is in fact strict tempo.

7. artofdance

artofdance New Member

Hi yes there are some new songs here by Davalenco that fall under that category: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/ritmo-latino-ep/id1214641172

8. rels77

rels77 Active Member

Well, intl Latin IS bolero speed mostly. So you're covered there

9. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Holy necro-ed thread, Batman.

RiseNFall and Sania like this.
  10. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

We use Ballroom Beats for rhythm. BB has contemporary and traditional songs. Love it. Sure, it's a subscription service, but the music changes periodically and the tempos are always correct and varied - sometimes a rumba will be 32 bpm and then the next one on the list will be a 36. Keeps us paying attention.

So there's practice beats per style but we also get rhythm rounds - and pro rounds, when we're feeling we need a challenge. Worth the $19 a month, for us.