Swing Discussion Boards > Help me to remember WCS whip variation

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by heebp, Oct 22, 2012.

1. heebp

heebp New Member

I'am very new to WCS. I have danced a bit over a month and have no prior dance experience.
    I recently attended a wcs workshop. There teachers showed this whip variation that I believe to be quite basic. But I still can't remember the details of it. Basically it was (inside?) turn to closed whip position to (outside?) turn.
    This workshop multiplied my dance lessons probably by three. And I got so much information that I have a bit of information overflow. Just trying to remember some of the moves taught in there.

It would be great help if you could explain the needed hand positioning from leader's perspective to archive something like this. As I'am quite sure it wasn't the regular left to right hand hold. And I just can't figure it out in my head.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Hi, heebp, and welcome.

Problem is there are SO MANY variations!
    But every whip I ever learned started with getting the woman into a "Closed" position. That would be you and her facing each other with your Right hand on the "upper left quadrant" of her back.

We on the same page so far?

And, someone else will proabably come along, too.

3. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

As Steve notes, not enough specifics to go on - there are a lot of whip variations, and a fair number of them would be described that way by somebody who has danced a little over a month.

Your best bet to get the specifics is going to be to find someone else who was at that workshop.

So here's the good news: there are a lot of whips that look like that. If you take time experimenting trying to find this one, you'll likely discover several others. They all work, if you can lead them.

Most whips can be divided into two parts - the first half, where you get into a closed position, and the second half, where you get out of it. When you've had enough practice, you'll be able to invent your own whips by mix and match of a front half and a back half.

So I'd suggest trying to recover the entire pattern by considering the two parts separately.

The front half is usually rooted in one of three ideas: the lady doesn't turn at all (these are your lock whip/basket whip variations); the lady turns to her right (your basic whip is this one); the lady turns to her left.

Because you guessed "inside turn", I'm inclined to think this is going to be a left rotating start. Common variant #1 starts in a normal hand hold, and leads a lot like an under arm turn (also called a "right side pass" in some parts of the world), except that the followers turn happens earlier in the pattern so that she can get to closed position in time. Common variant #2 starts in right-to-right (aka handshake), and you lead that same left turn by casting the right hand away, and picking up her back with your right hand as she turns.

There are other possibilities - but these are the safest two.

Leading an outside turn, or even a double outside turn, is going to be reasonable from either of these. "Common variant #2" is less forgiving of mistakes than #1.

Two words: note book. Or Evernote, now that we are all in the future. What I found works best for me is to take a workshop without taking notes, then immediately after the class is finished pick up my book and write down everything I remember. The theory being that anything I've forgotten already I'm clearly not ready for, so I don't fret about writing it down.

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

there are several "kinda instructional" videos on youtube . . . they might help you. i typed in west coast swing 'whip'

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

This shows a couple wcs whip variants of outside turn starting at 0:40. Outside turn on the second two steps, outside turn on the last triple step, a double outside turn also.... Earlier on it also shows a WCS whip with an inside turn, if you are interested heebp.

For me it helps to break down what I learn based on where it lies in the walk walk, triple step, walk walk, triple step of the basic whip stepping pattern. This way I learn elements and am better able to both describe to others as well as mix and match elements as I learn.