General Dance Discussion > Help needed, re: grind confusions.

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Titania, Feb 24, 2006.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i bet you do, cornutt... i bet you do
    :raisebro: :cool:

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth. Until I started this whole dancing standard in contact thing, there was only 1 person who'd felt that much of me...and I'm married to him. AT seems positively chaste by comparison.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes, i finally got over it and am very relaxed now about all that contact. i joke with my BF that my pro is "the other man in my life". there's certainly no other man i get that up-close-and-personal with.

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I didn't have much of a problem with all the contact in standard. It helps that my main std. teacher is significantly taller than me, so i'm not feeling so much of him, though. *ahem*

And, yet, I still have odd hang-ups that surface in AT. Like eye contact. And I cannot bring myself to do a "shoe shine," which is where you run the top of your foot up the (back) of the guy's leg. And god help me if it ever comes to trying to combine the 2.

But press myself up against the same teacher? No problem!

*sigh*

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

on the other side of things, i'm rather well-placed height-wise for full disclosure. but... whatever. dancing does have its perks. :raisebro:

yah, the eye-contact thing can be a very intimate sensation as well. i understand how that could be intimidating. (for those still glued to the thread for hints on actual grinding success, i'm sure eye-contact is a big factor!<g>)

i'm so glad i feel comfortable in my relationship with my instructor. always reminds me of the way children are -- open-hearted & so "present", which makes everything so enjoyable and without complication. i thank my lucky stars for the special kind of chemistry that makes it work, without drama.

6. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I dunno - a samba roll can look fleetingly like grinding if you ask me ;)

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oh, yes... definitely, mq!

lord... <am remembering when my former am. partner was teaching me these for the first time. i was like... what is he setting me up to do, here???>

8. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

How tall are you, Samina? As I've mentioned in another thread somewhere, I'm tall enough that it would be pretty rare for a woman's leg to make contact, um, that high.

In fact, it's fairly unusual for me to find myself dancing in a close position. My LW and I have had no standard training. It's all been social/smooth. We were at another studio's open dance a couple months ago and I ended up dancing (waltz, foxtrot or tango, can't remember which) with a young instructor. I offered my frame and she stepped right in. It was my first real experience with a close hold, except for some introduction LW and I had in a previous ballroom tango lesson.

I just went with it and it worked out ok. And it actually felt kinda nice (although unusual), but I've always been a huggging type, so I guess I'm not surprised that the contact didn't bother me.

-IJ

9. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I have yet to do them....but, do closed reverse turns which look somewhat similar, except face to face. Yeah, that may be grinding, too!

10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

That's like the old saying: Latin is for the audience, but standard is for the dancers. ;)

11. cornutt

Now we know what really caused the Chicago Fire! :D

12. Indiana_Jay

Oh no you didn't! Lessee, the big fire was in 1871, so that would make Fascination....

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i'm 5'5". when my body is going where it's supposed to go, i regularly make contact (with my instructor, anyway). in fact, this actually prompted me to gain new insight into the expression "gentlemen dress to the left" -- are you familiar with that?

just an aside: my instructor has been training me since we began to never step into his body when he draws me into him. i started off thinking it was my responsibility to come in, find his body, and settle into it in the right position. but he's trained me to stand independent of him and to let him take hold of me, with our bodies finding each other in the course of movement, if that makes sense. "take care of yourself & don't look for me" is a mantra i've heard a zillion times from him...

but yeah... i agree that the contact can be very pleasurable. i mean, dancing's about pleasurable movement of the body with someone else, so of course it's gonna be nice... ;)

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

open mouth insert foot???
    ;)

how old do you think fascination is, anyway? <g>

15. Indiana_Jay

Wll, I'm 6' 6" (198 cm for our metric friends), so my, uh, hip joints are considerably higher than yours. I doubt that if we danced you'd be able to determine how I dress.

I'd never heard the "gentlemen dress" expression, but I have heard that a good tailor will ask a gentlemen how he dresses and tailor the trousers accordingly.

Well, now that you mention it, my memory is not detailed enough to recall exactly how this woman and I ended up in close position, whether it was before or after the first step.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i agree. i'd have a hard time following you, too. LOL i occasionally dance socially with someone your height and there's definitelty no "contact"... and i can never feel where he is! :)

it has struck me that, if a gentleman "dresses" to the right, that's quite a forward and possibly lascivious choice if he dances standard socially. while dressing to the left is very politely "out of the way". ;)

i wonder if that was actually a concern or mark of true gentlemanliness "back in the day", or just a coincidence

17. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

While I also had not heard that expression before, I couldn't help but think of the order I've often given to a military formation for them to adjust their position to the left or right as needed (while looking to their right to ensure that they're lined up in a straight line): "Close interval, dress right ... DRESS!" Apparently, "dressing" is an archaic term for adjusting your position to one side or the other.

Rather, we've always just been told to offset to our left. Though in Balboa our instructor tells the women to position their center-line on his "nipple line". So I guess "dressing left" sounds a lot better.

PS
    Balboa cannot be considered like grinding, because it's just the upper bodies that are mashed together. Though one visiting Lindy dancer at our first Exchange kept calling it "Booboa".

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

valuable sign for intl standard studios: "all men required to dress to left"
    ;)

hah! :)

i never heard of this dance! am curious, now... will have to investigate.

19. cornutt

Cut me some slack. It was her great-great grandmother. You didn't believe all that malarky about the cow, did you? :cool:

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

sorry cornutt. actually, tho, to someone like myself sorely lacking in chicago trivia knowledge, your comment is quite provocative...

so, fascination's great-great-grandmother somehow started the chicago fire with A COW???:shock: