Salsa > Help Teaching NY2 Salsa

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DanceMentor, Nov 11, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I am going to start teaching a class at a University and there were very few classes available that weren't already spoken for, so I had to offer NY2 Salsa, which is something I need to prepare to teach. It's kind of funny...first I teach Intro to International Standard followed by NY2 Salsa.

I need some advice on which steps to teach. I've danced it quite a bit but I haven't taught it much. For starters, please tell me which foot the basic starts on for the man and which beat he begins dancing. I have an idea of the answer, but I would appreciate some confirmation and explanation.

The good thing is I have at least 3 months to prepare. Maybe I should order a video as well. Any recommendation? (no commercial links please...just PM me).

2. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

If your talking ET2 the men's basic is:

Prep step back with left on 1
    Break back with right on 2
    Shift weight back to left on 3
    Right foot is traveling forward during 4
    Right foot down on 5
    Break forward left on 6
    Shift weight back to right on 7
    Left foot is traveling backwards during 8

3. DanceMentor

That sounds like Mambo with a changed beginning. Am I right?

4. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Yep, pretty much.

5. DanceMentor

So the title of the class it something like "New York 'on2' Salsa". Would this basic be the dominant form in New York?

6. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Although a lot of people like to call it NY on2, RazzMTazz and others, in the clubs we all call it Eddie Torres style, or ever greater so, on2. You'll rarely hear someone say NY on2, if we don't say on2, we'll just say Eddie Torres Style. But I do believe that Political correctness would be to call it NY on2. You could then tell them it also refers to Eddie Torres' on2 style.

7. DanceMentor

So what style is it that goes like this?
    (don't know the starting point)
    1 RF fwd
    2 break fwd LF
    3 replace weight to RF
    4 pause
    5 LF back
    6 break back on RF
    7 replace weight to LF
    8 pause

That is what I learned here in Atlanta as being NY stlye

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Footwork wise that is NY... but starting on the man's forward half which, numerically, corresponds to the 5,6,7...

9. DanceMentor

Ahhh....how it's coming back. I didn't read youngsta's description right the first time.

Next question (if you have the time):
    What are some of the basic steps I need to teach?
    (Underarm Turn Right obviously)
    What about a video just for basic steps?

Thanks,
    David

10. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Usually when Eddie's style is taught to a group and there is no partner work as of yet, everyone starts on the ladies count, which means 5,6,7, hence, what you have described above. Except the 4 and 8 really aren't a pause.

11. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I must admit that I am the worse person to ask for name of moves, not to mention that every school I've been to calls the same moves different names. So, I decided not to pay attention to the names, now, I regret it.

The beginner classes that I've been to have taught about the same:

- Cross body
    - Woman's natural turn
    - Woman's left turn
    - Woman's inside turn
    - Man's under hand turns
    - Open close spot, if that is the name :oops:
    - Tug and push turn
    - The copa

- And basic shines...
    It's been a while since I stepped into a beginners class, that is all I remember.

12. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

13. DanceMentor

If anyone can recommend a good basic video that covers the basics, hopefully at least 10 steps, I would appreciate it if you could PM me. I have to teach this class for 6 weeks. It will be for beginners and I want to see a good example of the material one would teach a beginning class.