General Dance Discussion > Hi, I'm new here :)

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Marianne, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Marianne

Marianne New Member

Hey!
    I accidently ran into this forum actually.
    I've been practicing balroom dancing for a few years. I'd also been dancing ballet for 9 years and I'm also into jazz.

I just wanted to know...
    who are the people in this forum? what ages? where from?
    just to realize where I am I guess.... thanks!

8)

XXX
    Hugs!
    Marianne.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Welcome Marianne, :D

I'm only a social dancer but have been doing it this time around for 8 years, but first took it up 22 years ago.

There are a lot of people who cross over to ballroom from ballet, tap and jazz. I think most of the women instructors from the studio I attend have a background in this.

Tom

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Hi Marianne,
    Welcome to the Dance Forums!
    While we haven't had much conversation about ballet and jazz yet, it would be a welcome addition. I think you'll find there are dancers from many different backgrounds here in the forums including Swing, Salsa, Ballroom, Tango and Hip Hop. Personally, I am a ballroom dance instructor and also perform tango. I've also had some lessons in ballet, jazz and tap, but I could learn more. I once did a Fred and Ginger routine where I had to learn some jazz and tap. BTW, I played Fred. :) Right now, I'm hoping to learn a Michael Jackson routine and hopefully do an impersonation later on (for fun and laughs).

I hope you will post more messages and get to know us. Thanks for introducing yourself.

Kind Regards,
    David

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Let me add my "welcome" as well! :D

I started with salsa about 5 years ago and started crossing into ballroom as well about a year later. I've taken some jazz classes to help with my ballroom and even tried a ballet class. Being a 30 year old man in a class of 18 year old woman, all who either have some ballet background and/or are dance majors didn't work so well however :?

As far as the biographical information you requested, I am 30 and live in Sunny Diego, a.k.a. Sand Diego, a.k.a. San Diego.

--Jonathan

5. Marianne

Marianne New Member

It's nice to have your welcoming guys!
    I believe I'm the youngest here... I'm 17!!!!!!!!
    But I'm into dancing so much that I can't picture my life without it.
    Actually I would like to be a choreographer one day, but stay more into jazz. But that's only a dream for now, cause I've only graduated high school a while ago...
    However, I trully hope this dream comes true one day....!

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

From everything I've seen ability/talent can only take you so far...its putting in the work that counts in the end. If that's what you want, and you're willing to put in the effort, I'm sure that one day your dream will come true! :D

7. DanceMentor

If you truly love what you are doing, good things are sure to follow. It seems that you love dancing Marianne. You're off to a wonderful start! :D

8. Spitfire

I think that there is a growing interest in dancing among the younger age groups just from what I have observed.

The Lindy Hop scene in particular seems to attract mainly young people.

9. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

This Owl bids you welcome Marianne!!

It's so great to see young people discovering the charm and greatness of partner dancing in any form!! :D

Hope your time here on the forum is enlightening and even entertaining for you as everyone brings a unique set of experiences and outlooks to the table.

Enjoy!

10. Liz076

Liz076 New Member

Different dancing...

:lol:
    Don't you worry, girlfriend! I have an extensive background in the tap, jazz, ballet world too which actually helps when getting more educated in the ballroom style dancing. The only thing you're not prepared for is having a partner! Learning as many dancing styles will definately help if you're aspiring to be a teacher/choreographer or a performer. Personally, my favs are swing and latino. Just keep your love and enthusiasm, and you've got it made! :lol:
    I'm 26 from NC.

11. Temple

Temple New Member

I'm actually new here too! I thought I'd just add on so that ya'll don't have to do the welcomes again.
    I'm 26 and have been dancing for about 20 years...ballet, modern, and a few decent ballroom lessons as well as a tiny forray into Belly Dancing.
    Nice to be here!

12. DanceMentor

Welcome to the Dance Forums, Temple! :wink:
    It sounds like you've done a lot of dancing. I hope you'll be able to share some of your dance stories with us.

13. Spitfire

I would also like to welcome you Temple. :D

14. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

Marianne,
    Welcome to Dance Forum. I read your post, and I recall my secret desire when I first started dancing at 27 yrs old in 1949. I wanted to become a Choreographer also, but I never admitted it, because I wasn't sure I had the talent. Fortunately, I did the right moves; after teaching Ballroom dancing for two years, I dislocated my left elbow and put my Ballroom exhibition dancing on hold and began studying tap, ballet with a Russian and jazz with Luigi in 1952. Eventually, the mystery of the art of choreography cleared up and I discovered the Key to choreographing which I will share with you here and now in a simplified step by step formula:
    1. Most music is written in phrases of two bar couplets; a total of eight quarter beats. Learn to count from the beginning of each musical phrase. The lyrics usually should begin and end with these eight count phrases. A song like , "Tea for Two" or "Sunny Side of the Street" are good songs to start creating a routine with. (choreographing)
    2. All movements should be created in multiples of eight, preferable one weight change or body movement for each quarter beat. (As you become more experienced you can vary the rhythm within the phrases)
    3. When combining movements, use the last two counts , i.e, 7,8 to make up a small transition step to end the first set or phrase of 8's: A phrase or a set of moves can be repeated two (16 Quarter beats) or three times (24 Quarter beats) before going into a transition step.
    4. A three minute routine will require a dozen different phrases of 8's for variety.
    5. Create an allegro movement for an opener, place a climatic move at about 2/3 into routine and end it with a flourishing movement, freezing on the last beat of music or create a walking off stage move to end the routine.
    6. Keep the routines real simple until you feel confident, but don't wait another day to become a choreographer. You have the tools, I just gave you. Your Ballet and Jazz background gives you a head start over those without these dance techniques of ballet and Jazz. How good a choreographer you become depends on your imagination and ability to interpret the mood of the music you are working with. Don't wait another day. Go for it!

Black Sheep (www.lindybylanza.com)

"P.S. Any guestions on dancing that need to be resolved, I'll try to answer, and if I don't have the answer, I'll make one up!"

All rights reserved (c) 5-6-03 by Joe Lanza aka Jaz-Lan Pub. Co.

15. afgrl728

afgrl728 New Member

Hey my name is meaghan ...... i am new to this tooo!!! i have been dancing since i was like 5 and i am almost 17 now ... i have taken a few breaks actually like its been over a year but i have been havin surgeyr and stuff!! i love dancing .... like wheneevr i am mad or w.e if i dance it makes me feel better :lol: !!! i was gonna join this car site my b,f is on but he got pissed cause he thought i was invading his privacy so i was like fine i am gonna join a dance site( like he cares or anything)

16. Marianne

Marianne New Member

Hey guys! Thanks again for the welcoming, and I'd like to also welcome the newbies here... :)

Yea.. I know I haven't been here for a while. What can I do? I'm overloaded with tests. It's not easy gratuating high school... too many finals! grrrrrrrr.....
    Speaking of graduation... we had our ceremony last week, and I performed during the whole thing a few times (I danced of course...) :))
    It was fun! Every time, after the performance I feel like I have so much energy, that I'm ready to do the whole thing again for another 10 times! I LOVE performing.... I'm a freak... I sometimes feel more comfortable on stage than being just a part of the crowd.

Ok... sorry about the long ramble... :))
    Hope you're all doing great!

XXX M.

17. DanceMentor

Welcome to that Dance Forums, afgrl728! :D
    ...and thanks for the update Marianne. :D
    The Dance Forums are continuing to grow and I hope you'll both stay around a while and be a part.

Thanks,
    David

18. Wes

Wes New Member

Hiya ppl

Hi,

I'm new here as well... was just going through google and I found it so here I am :)

I have been line dancing for 6 years and choreographing but not for long!
    ASL: 16 - Male - East Yorkshire (UK)
    I think I'm the youngest here am I???

Anyway, just a big "HELLO!!!!!" to everyone here!

Wes!
    xxx

19. Spitfire

Re: Hiya ppl

Welcome aboard Wes,

Dancing must be big in GB; there's a lot of representation from there on all the dance boards I'm on. Was there back in June 1987. :D

20. Wes

Wes New Member

Re: Hiya ppl

Hi,

I wouldn't know about June 1987 as I would only be 8 months old then :D :oops:

Seems like a good board this, what other dance boards do you use?