Swing Discussion Boards > "Hijacking" in WCS

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I have noticed that in WCS that the ladies will often do their own moves that the leader does not take them into. Is this what is meant by the term "hijacking?"

And it's not a problem; I think that they're pretty cool; about the only thing is that I sometimes get caught off guard by these.

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Not necessarily . . . you see, a follower should do her own thing if the leader isn't giving her anything, or he just put her out there to ahng and play a while.

But if she does her own thing . . . takes the lead away from you, and then proceeds to attempt to lead you and does so successfully, then you have een "hijacked."

I love to be hijacked . . . except when they try to put put into those "32 ct, all sesame seed bun, double strength tin-folied, take me higher and higher" pattern that I just cannot follow . . . but only because I didn't take that particular class :wink:

3. Spitfire

Is this what they're doing? I guess I don't really feel like I'm being led into something other then to adjust my movement to allow them to complete theirs.

4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

That's usually it, but it's usually taking a move that you've led and turning it into something else. Usually leadable (on her part) and fairly brief. For example, one hijack I know is when the man leads an underarm pass. Instead turning to the left to face the man again, the lady does kind of a chasse and backs up...basically circles the man and ends up back where she started. She should maintain a connection to let him know what she's doing...he just gets out of her way. Another is, in the same place, keep going forward and maybe do some step-points or something. The man can emulate her until she comes out.

Does that help? If she does something you haven't seen before, just go with it...either get out of her way, copy her, mark time, etc.

5. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

i like when hijacked,as long as the girl knows when and how too ,so as to not disturbe the flow :wink: .its pretty cool out here this way , the girls from ny-north jersey etc really like to play-we have a good time-and i enjoy them,kudos to the new jersey-new york and pa ladies-who know how too 8)

6. Spitfire

Yep, this is the one I most often see and as I say I think it's pretty cool. 8)

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I guess we've taken this to be "playing" and the the hijacking is as when take the lead and I become the follower for a move or two or three, and they give it back.

"Playing" is a constant part of our WCS these days . . . almost every move is play: if I put you into a right side pass with a lady's turn, then you can do anything you want until you need to be back at the end of the slot and anchored . . . and of course, I have the same option to do whatever I want as long as I finally get set, anchor (or tap), stretch away and pull you off on ct1 . . . we've just played, albeit a very subtle play . . .

8. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Just as a caution to any ladies reading: don't get too excited about hijacking! While many guys like it, they still like to lead the majority of the dance. I saw a couple lose an advanced jack & jill once because she hijacked too much...it was too bad, because they're both awesome dancers and it was an amazing dance.

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

That just happened in Fresno . . . and it was a shame, but I think it was done on purpose!

10. swinginstyle

swinginstyle New Member

Favorite follow to watch because of her "play": Tatiana Mollman. Otherwise, I prefer it when the follows can hijack subtley and don't overdo it during a dance.