Salsa > Hips! Latin Motion/Hip Motion Index

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by pygmalion, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Sabor

Sabor New Member

isn't that the whole point?! :wink: .. but no matter.. for we would have been already "burnt" by then boricua 8)

2. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

WOW!!! can I SO see you guys in action!!!!!! :D

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I couldn't imagine how that would happen, but now I know it can be a problem. :( I tried and tried to help someone out in the beginner class on Tuesday.

4. Sabor

Sabor New Member

never both at the same place / time.. no way.. the whole premises would combust from da heat :wink: 8)

5. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Hi!

I'm sorry If it post this message in the "hip-index-topic". I couldn't decide where to put it.

I was at a salsa-rythm-workshop last Thurstay. Under 1,5 hour I believed that everyone was new beginners. They moved like salsa-stepping-candlelight’s, although everone worked hard to release the hips and shoulders. After the two hours long workshop it turned out that all the men and 50% ladies where experienced dancers who knew how to take steps and advanced patterns. But they where al so stiff…in the beginning…

The teacher “fooled us” into the right “feet-hip-shoulder” moving pattern in an excellent way. Just by very simple exercises an a few "african dance" excercises not suitable for telling you by the web :D :D :D

If you want to know…read more. If you already know how to do…stop now.

Stand walking on the very same spot not moving anywhere. Sway your arms just like when you are running. (When right leg bends, left hand sways in front of you and vice versa)

The hip one the side where your leg is straight moves slightly to the side all by itself. Try to improve that movement, exaggerate it a bit by dropping the knee a few centimeters more.

Do that on-the-spot-walking swaying the arms for a while….add some music.
    Now put the arm you are swaying forward on the shoulder of the opposite arm. Keep the on-the-spot-swaying-your-hips movement you played your body into.

If you do that for a while you’ll suddenly find out that the shoulder you put your hand on is moving forward to meet the hand, all by it self. It seems like they are trying to meet each other half the way. If they don’t do this all by themselves help them to meet.

Go on for a while just stepping on the spot, swaying your arms and letting the hand meet the shoulder.

Then do:
    1,2,3, stop, 1,2,3, stop, 1,2,3, stop continuing the basic movement with legs, hips, arms and shoulders. There you have an embryo of salsa. Do this for a few songs.

When this is a natural habit … stop putting the arm on the shoulder. Just let it sway a bit in front of you in direction towards the shoulder, but not the whole way. You’re body will probably decide how far all by itself. But keep on swaying the hips and the shoulder as you just learnt.

Begin to take a mambo step forward, backward, la cucarachas (side step), cumbia steps etc. If you trained the base pattern well enough the hips and shoulders will do their job, just by themselves.

Don’t think too much, lets you muscle memory do the work. If you analyze the movement too much you’ll get confused. It is a very natural movement. (Do more like a melody I heard once “Let you’r body decide where you want to go. High or low, fast or slow”.)

On the following two days the muscles on the outside of the upper part of my legs where hurting. They are actually still hurting. My body must have learnt its lesson well since I used muscles that never have been hurting before. Let's hope it will remember the lesson.

/Lucretia

6. Sagitta

Great to hear you got it L! :cheers: Keep on practicing and you won't forget it. Keep that muscle memory fresh!! :)

7. Sabor

Sabor New Member

a nice workout for hips ..

step 1:
    fill your bathtub with ingredients of a strawberry/chocolate Milk shake..
    step2:
    get into the bath tub with hips submerged
    step3:
    SHAKE IT LIKE A BLENDER!!
    step4:
    fancy a milkshake? :bouncy:

8. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Sabor

Sabor New Member

SHAKE IT!
    SHAKE SHAKE IT!!
    SHAKE IT!

LIKE A POLAROID PIIIIICTURE!!!
    :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol:

11. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. Sabor

Sabor New Member

DO THAT THANG WHEN U DIP IT KEEP YO' HIPS PUMPIN! .. COME ON BABY WORK IT FOR ME NOW!! :bouncy: :banana: :bouncy:

13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

ROTFL!!!!! That's just priceless!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

nooooooooooo you did not !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm innocent I tell ya!! and I'm trying to remain that way but you making some statements here man :lol: :lol: :lol: making it hard for a sister to stay on the straight and narrow (salsa wise and thought wise :lol: ) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Sabor

Sabor New Member

Ooh work me baby.. Shakin' it the way I like!!
    I'm ready to be bad.. I need a bad girl (say yeah)
    Get at me bad girl!
    :mrgreen:

i didn't say that.. Usher did! :tongue: :p

16. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

17. etchuck

etchuck New Member

And I wonder why you all don't do WCS too ... ;)

18. Sagitta

It is those hips. Those sassy sexy hips. WCS does not have those!

19. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

hmmmm.... 8) I don't know Sagitta.....you could probably work it into it you know :wink: :D

20. Sagitta

You know what WCS is?