Salsa > Hips! Latin Motion/Hip Motion Index

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by pygmalion, Mar 1, 2004.

1. thespina

thespina New Member

Thank you so much... I went there and did the excercises.. no cheating. I found it very helpful, especially since it turns out that I was doing it right the first time! I just had to relax and not think about the mechanics. I think the other thing I realized was that I have to keep my weight over my center, and not shift it to my back-stepping or front-stepping foot entirely. Am I right? Those hips move in a very pleasant sort of figure eight if I keep my weight more or less centered for the basic step.

2. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I attend different aerobics dance classes where you can pick up some hip movements, e.g. figure 8, circle left and right, swaying. It's just practice, practice, practice, especially if the movements are new to you.

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Or just let it come naturally...over time

4. Josh

Josh Active Member

I think the point is that for many it simply will not come naturally over time, that it must be practiced a lot to get it right. Just like some will say to not take a dance class, just learn at clubs, on the "street" (boy I love that expression :roll: ), however, taking classes is the only/best way for many to learn, as it may not "naturally" come over time.

5. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I agree with you. I have this problem. I usually need to see the move broken down and then practice it and then it becomes natural and I can add a bit of my touch. Maybe because I didn't do much dancing in my life. But I also try to observe how different people do it and pick up what I feel comfortable with.

6. thespina

thespina New Member

You know what really helped last night, when I went to the club, was when some of the men I was dancing with (much to their delight, I'm sure), held my hips firmly and rocked them in the right rhythm. After awhile they could let go and I really felt the motion and the music together. It wasn't so hard to keep it up on my own. I'm lucky to have a good group of great dancers there, that all have strong leads and are very patient. Last night I was having more fun already, and noticed a little bit of improvement. I still massively fudged a bunch of stuff, but having FUN really helped. I couldn't believe that I'd lost the merengue last week, since I'd been so good at before. Well that came back full force last night, and salsa was sneaking back in again slowly. I really find that I have to be awake and in good form to keep it up though. Near the end of the night, I was useless.

Today I go in for another lesson (if my kids wake up from their nap soon!) and I'll work on the footwork. I know that'll help me maintain that cuban motion. I found that I understand the mechanics of it quie well. It's just a matter if letting it out.

Ok. I rambled. Thanks for all the advice so far... all of it has helped a lot. Keep it coming! :)

7. Josh

Josh Active Member

Indeed, I'm sure, since men never get to touch women's hips while dancing with them...
    :roll:

8. thespina

thespina New Member

Oooh, lovely sarcasm.

I was mostly remembering the overt "enthusiasm" of one dancer in particular. He later asked me if I wanted to have an affair with him. So yes, it was very much to his delight. I do realize hips are handled regularly on the dance floor in general. Thank you. :p

9. Josh

Josh Active Member

Lovely sarcasm yourself! :lol: I was mostly trying to combat the notion that all men are trying to get with any woman they can find. Sometimes that's true, but it's not, more often than you'd think, especially among dancers (note: real dancers, not ones who go to clubs to pick up people). Women sometimes get so used to men being all over them that they forget that many men do not want that. That's all I was saying--only trying to halt a myth in its tracks! And next time I'll try to leave the sarcasm out (note: try). :friend:

10. thespina

thespina New Member

You're totally right about all that. I've noticed, in my short time dancing, that there are definitely different "types". I mostly try to stay away from the kind that are trolling. The last evening I was out, I had the pleasure of dancing with some serious(ly fun) dancers, who were just out to dance. One of them is now my buddy and dance partner. I'm glad you drew the distinction between these people. And I'm grateful I've got at least a few of you good guys at my club to dance with. It gets exhausting weilding my bat around everywhere I go. Nice when I can put it down every now and again. :peace:

As for the sarcasm... hopefully I won't incur too much of it. Although I think I can handle it (most of the time. depends on whether or not I'm PMSing).

11. Sabor

Sabor New Member

just do it!

shake shake SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE.. [breeeeath]... IT!!!

si maaami esso esso!! VAMONOS! :bouncy:

12. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

That's easy for you to say....Not everyone has a 'natural' SHAKE

And then there are the different shakes for the different dances........ :cry:

13. Sabor

Sabor New Member

yes.. very easy for me! :tongue:

14. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Hehehehe. Some people just have twitchy bottoms :D :D :D

I've been losing weight recently so some of my clothes are a bit loose. One of my favourite tricks at home is to shimmy my backside until they actually fall off! Well, it amuses me and the husband anyway.

When I'm in public and feeling the need to shimmy, I make sure I'm wearing a belt :wink:

15. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

:headwall: :headwall: :headwall:

16. englezul

englezul New Member

Can a moderator update the links to those embedded threads? I'm having trouble finding them usng the search feature.

17. jamin1

jamin1 New Member

I am not able to link to them either...