Salsa > Hitting Breaks

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by rails, Sep 21, 2004.

1. basicarita

basicarita Member

Thanks, Don, for taking the time to respond and for your helpful suggestions.

2. Don Silver

Don Silver Member

I appreciate the clarifications! And be sure that even if I don't use that method, I see it has worked for a huge set of excellent dancers, so my basic assumption is the more I know about it the better off I'll be...

In my mind, excellent instructors have two, three or more methods to teach almost any concept/move/motion, since one size rarely fits all situations.

I agree the vast majority of salsa teachers have little training. Most start teaching because someone asked them how the do "move X" or "pattern y" and they start showing what they did. Then someone will pay them to show them and they become "teachers". Some are great and most are just OK, or worse.

For my question, footwork/foot positions wouldn't make any difference, since I've seen people use the QQS concept with either. Because of my ignorance in this area, I wasn't specific. Your answer is very helpful!

3. Josh

Josh Active Member

Don, usually the same as when we use numbers--"e", "and", "a". However, I prefer numbers for some dances while Q and S for others. As you mentioned, however, any decent teacher should be able to use several methods to meet the needs of his or her student!

Also, to add to the discussion, more important (IMO) than the methods used for counting is the WAY it's counted... drawing out certain beats when counting adds nice rhythmic variety and a less robotic tone to the dance. "One, two, three... fiiiiiive, six, seven" , for example.

4. Don Silver

Don Silver Member

Well, here again one size doesn't fit all.

I have worked with instructors who draw out certain beats and it works for them. IF the students understand that the counts occur at regular intervals (like the seconds ticking on a clock) and if I draw out five I still have to have six be in the right place.

If someone draws out a certain number verbally, and then skips or delays the next number, then I'm uncomfortable with that approach. As long as the numbers are evenly spaced, I can see different inflections can work and I respect different approaches.

I view the counts as "touch points" or "lane markers". They are absolute points in time, with even intervals. That doesn't mean I have to step or move on those counts, but they are there to provide a framework.

I often use shorter sounds, but as I write this I realize I have some exceptions to that rule so I'm not totally consistent within myself. I would have to really think about when I violate my "shorter sound" concept, since it's the exception.

I appreciate your insights... They makes me think and evaluate my approaches, furthering my ongoing quest for something better than my current methods.