General Dance Discussion > Hitting your partner

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by TheArchon, Jan 30, 2004.

1. TheArchon

TheArchon New Member

By mistake of course :roll: , how many time did it happened to you, how many time did that hit you :?: Are you/they willing to continue to dance with the same partner afterward :?:

When I was new to dancing, I had a HUGE problem with spinning, so one time, I’ve stroked my partner so hard :oops: ... I couldn't dance with her any longer cause I was so embossed.

And once, my training partner, I’ve send her circling forward, then backward, but in the backward she forgot she should had her elbow down, so she split my lower lip... Since she is my training partner and it doesn't happen very often... I let it slip.

2. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

What about on purpose? Why don't we have a thread about that? :tongue: (just kidding y'all, don't noone go gettin upset on me now)

3. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

It probably happens to me about 1 every 3 months or so. Being a martial artist I tend to see stuff like that coming and avoid it- after 20 years I've learned a thing or two about reading body movement. I just consider it an occupational hazard and don't make a big deal out of it when it happens.

4. hobrien

hobrien New Member

I spun a girl once and she lifted up her elbow, it hit me in the noise and broke a piece of it.

She was REALLY embarressed about it, I couldnt see anything for a few minutes. I didnt know then she broke it.

Was I angry at her: No way ! How could I be !
    It comes with dancing.

Two days alter I was out dancing with her again.

Some other tricky dance moves can be more dangereous, such as diping girls, I know of one guy who dropped a girl, her head hit a concrete floor and she was unconcious for a short while.

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

It happens. However, it tends to happen with certain people only. I know if I dance with them I got to watch out!! :)

6. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Topic: Hitting your partner

LOL :lol: ! When I read this topic heading I cracked up because I pictured me hitting bruce on the floor (not that I have done so, but have had moments where tensions run high enough). But I figured that wasn't what you meant.

Yes I have accidentally hit a partner, not hard enough to knock them out though. It happens from time to time. Worse than that though is when you are dancing (followers) and you don't follow a move correctly and the leaders end up touching you in places that are embarrassing :oops: . That has happened to me a couple of times. Luckily I was dancing with a guy friend so I wasn't completely embarrassed.

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I've never done this, but only because I'm paranoid. I have extremely long arms (a big asset in ballroom -- it makes your frame look huge)

But I live in constant fear of elbowing some poor guy in the chest. So I've started taking styling lessons, to learn what to do with all my big, long arms.

8. TheArchon

TheArchon New Member

Long arms wont save you when, like i saw yesterday, your partner forget to hold you when you go down for a lay(i dont know the english word). She fell fall on her butt :twisted: :twisted: .

9. pygmalion

Maybe a dip or a drop? Salsa, right? Actually, unless it was a drop, she probably could have saved herself, if she had been supporting her own weight like she should.

I guess she really got hit. Poor thing. :oops:

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

In five years leading and I have slightly split one lip and accidently grabbed one breast. I'm not a very good follower so have also elbowed one leader in the head when they were trying a new pattern out on me.

Mind you, I've been hit *way* more times then this over the same time span!

Also, on the accidental contact front, aside from the breast mentioned above, I have ended up feeling a few more rear ends then I'd like -- but always and only when a woman won't loosen her arm enough when going into a hammer lock. At such points my arm ends up lower than it should, but my only alternative would be to physically force her arm up her back as it is twisted behind her...which is something I will not do. I do, of course, stop leading such moves with such partners as soon as I see that this is a problem (vs., say, a random error).

11. TheArchon

TheArchon New Member

Yeah sure, i beleive you 8) .

12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Believe me, only one in five years has got to be an accident! I'm fairly sure that the average is actually *much* higher than that, especially for someone who averages a couple of nights of dancing per week! :wink:

13. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I think I've done it 2 or 3 times in the past year. It's rough going from dancing with a 5'11" woman to a 5'1" on the very next song. A grab around the waist on one becomes a breast grab on the other! :oops: :lol:

Luckily I haven't been hit very often. Maybe 4 times in the year and a half I've been dancing.

14. Blondie

Blondie New Member

Hitting

I remember clobbering my teacher in his face during a lesson. It happened after I was doing a new move involving a quick turn, then back into dance position. Somehow, I socked him in the face. But he never blinked twice. I was apologizing but he just went on with the lesson. Must be a normal thing for a dance teacher, LOL.
    :shock:

15. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

SD, your post was hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol: I cracked up laughing! :D

16. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

LOL :lol: :lol:

17. pygmalion

Re: Hitting

Yeah. I think getting hit, stepped on, and poked must just be one of the occupational hazards of teaching dance. :?

18. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

So SD you only grabbed one by accident... how many did you grab on purpose? :lol:

19. IvyAB

IvyAB Member

I've hit and been hit numerous times. It doesn't really phase me, except for the time my old partner gave me a concussion. I don't even know how it happened, but suddenly his elbow collided with my temple. I've gotten bruised ribs and massive bruising pretty much everywhere else from lifts, but I've never been dropped. I've inflicted fat lips, black eyes, and scratches, but the worst was probably stepping on my partner's instep with my heel. I just apologize wholeheartedly and try to continue. I am an enormous clutz, but somehow I appear graceful on the dancefloor. Go figure.

20. pygmalion

A concussion? Oy! The dedication it takes to just keep going.

And that heel in the instep really hurts -- I know, because I've stepped on my own instep more than a few times. :shock: Don't ask me how. :? :lol: