General Dance Discussion > Hitting your partner

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by TheArchon, Jan 30, 2004.

1. BM

BM New Member

I have long hair that's prone to whipping my partner in the face. It isn't usually a problem, but I recently got it braided with beads at the end that can sting quite a bit. Sorry partner!!

2. precious12

precious12 New Member

These are so funny:lol: Okay, i have been stepped on, had my partner and my knees collide, I have hit my partner in the face, and the worst ever was when i was doing a spin in salsa with one of my instructors, and i hit him in the groin. YIKES!!!! We just both looked at each other, and he said do not tell my wife that happened and then we laughed at each other and kept dancing, and at my recent showcase when my partner dipped me, somehow i hit him in the face, and i just stood there and covered my mouth and he said... fake it, fake it... i feel bad for things like that, and not to mention embrassed.....but it happens, if you dance long enough you will get hit, be stepped on, or maybe even worse...it comes with the territory:):cool:

3. MissBallroomBear

MissBallroomBear Active Member

Haven't had that many experiences of this nature yet (thank god.)

Though, the other week I was doing a rumba with coach and we were in a kind of shadow position (the name escapes me now) and his voice came in my ear, "Balance, and get off my toe." His toe was a strange purpley colour for a few days after that..

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Lol. If you can lead AT, you're absolutely right. Actually, if you can lead AT and we're dancing, you've got no choice, really--I dance in close embrace. (AKA: all boobs, all the time!)

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

If that isn't a logo that would attract men to dancing AT then I don't know what is! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Heck, would make a great AT t-shirt too! :D)

6. reb

reb Active Member

Elise and Mad Max are trying to reel in a young man on another thread - gotta try this . . .

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

The man's truly got savoire faire!

8. LolaEden

LolaEden New Member

when i used to dance latin american when i was younger i always used to whip my teacher round the face with my hair it didn't matter what type of turn we were doing it would be anything that would make my hair move, even new yorkers he used to get a little whip on the back of the head from my turning lol it got to the point where i would turn up most lessons with my hair in a bun. but now in contemporary lessons i'm always kicking people because of the strange movements you have to do. we did a turn doing my last show where you would have your left leg in the air and your torso folded down against your right leg (don't know if i have explained that well) but every time i would go to do the turn in my force to whip my leg up and body round i would always kick someone in the face as they were leaing down to do it :(

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

OK, it's DEFINITELY time for me to learn AT. :)

10. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... Boobs!! :banana:

I frequently get "plastered" when doing an Amer tango corte'. I've always wondered if it's a bad lead or that particular follow is just trying to rattle me...

11. Peaches

Almost guarantee she's paying way less attention than you are.

12. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Well, there goes *that* fantasy...

13. Peaches

Sorry to burst your bubble there, dude. Although I left it open to possibility...I said I almost guarantee...maybe she was paying just as much attention! ;-)

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

That's why my head swings away just the right amount so it avoids those whipping braids every day.

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

the corte can be an equal opportunity gift in my experience:cool:

16. fascination

yea...gotta say...ya dance with someone long enough and alot of really pleasurable stuff and alot of really gross stuff happens...and well...by then....no one really cares...

17. fascination

and let me just say that my sensibilities are scandalized by all of this boob talk on Easter...can't leave you people alone for a moment ;)

18. Peaches

Well, a)it started before Easter, and b)try thinking of Easter more along the lines of the original Spring/fertility celebration and see if that leaves you feeling any less scandalized.

19. Peaches

Yep. Another way to look at it...until there's actually dance technique involved with them somehow, I just don't care. Too many other parts of my body that require technique to take up my brain power.

20. Stillharbor

Stillharbor New Member

I've hit my teacher a couple of times with my elbow right in the chest, he just winces and keeps going. But we usually start laughing so hard about it we can't keep going.

Another teacher asked if we could do a routine together for a showcase. We started working and had 1 particular section where I spun into his shoulder (with my arm over my head) and did a check and pop. I had no problem after I'd learned the move and it was GREAT! Then one day I was just off and clobbered him in the shoulder. I remember coming around and seeing him pull his head away as well. We stopped and went back over that section and wouldn't you know... no matter how many times we tried it, I couldn't do it. So... we had to change that section.