General Dance Discussion > Hitting your partner

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by TheArchon, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

I've mashed, poked, bumped, whacked, groped (accidentally), but I've never bitten a partner. :shock:

2. Iolane

Iolane New Member

I've accidentally hit my instructor in the crotch. I was supposed to do a double turn and land in a crouching position (sort of) with my hands on his abdomen while I look up at him (I don't think I'm describing it well). Anyway, I I kept doing the turn and landing with my hands gently touching his abdomen, and he kept making me do it over again telling me to really go for it, so I did, and hit him in the crotch - he wasn't hurt too bad (I don't think) but our practice was interrupted for a few minutes while we laughed. I told him that I did it on purpose as payback for the time he stepped on my hair while doing a death drop ;)

3. Br0nze

Br0nze Active Member

I've been hit in the face with elbows during turns, whipped with hair, kneed in various places, stepped on, tripped and accidentally kicked. I have accidentally hit my partner a few times during some tricky moves, I know that. I can't recall which ones to save my life, but it's safe to say that she's hit me significantly more than I hit her. I think it comes with the territory. Sometimes limbs fly and there's nothing you can do. I definitely advocate the approach of being in total control and exercising caution, but sometimes it's just not possible... as we all know.

4. Linda J Schlensker

Linda J Schlensker New Member

I'm glad this is on the discussion board. These things happen. Most of us can tell when a grope or bang is accidental or not. I care about all my partners. In fact, when we care about one another these little accidents make our dancing better faster because we are determined not to let that happen again. I have had my lip split, my toe broken and more. The same partner never hurt me or anyone else that way again. It's part of the process. I been hurt much more badly in other sports. Think funniest home videos. Ballroom doesn't show up much does it?

5. liz

liz New Member

I hit my pro once during a scholarship. I didn't even feel it. He asked me if his lip was bleeding... As the round went on his lip got bigger and bigger.

6. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Not yet! Doubt it would hurt!

7. RichE

RichE New Member

Groping on the dance floor? Must be a ballroom thing. In bar-room dancing we do that in the parking lot.

8. DrivenSubstance

DrivenSubstance New Member

on my resume there is:

split lip x3
    split eye brow x2
    hit in the face >5
    in the groin x2
    stamped on foot >10

lol

9. Alice.W

Alice.W Member

Girls are so much worse at accidental hitting, my my experience :) I elbowed at least 5-6 guys really hard, always while spinning, and once a guy lost his glasses on the dance floor, poor thing. I got hit hard once on a lip (no blood), also by a girl who did some fancy smooth arm styling in my face. I do feel bad every time I hit someone, but all my victims took it as real gentlemen :)

10. Ecclesiastes3_4

Ecclesiastes3_4 New Member

Once upon a time, when I had really long hair and put it in a braid, I whacked my poor partner in the face with it. And I have a fair amount of hair, so it left a considerable mark.

That same evening, a different partner dipped me, got run into from behind, and dropped me by accident. Serious pain, but no injuries.

I've heeled and been heeled, had my feetsies stepped on, run into people, etc.

Once I almost took out the entire sound system in my dance studio doing a Viennese waltz.

11. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

What was I even talking about? I didn't quote anything...

A few of my dance partners have taken an elbow to the head. They laughed and kept dancing.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

when I do things, I do them big...other than stepping on toes, the most that I have done is full body tackle :) (just once)

13. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

The only damage I've caused to my partners is a hit to the top of the head from misjudged turning actions or hitting them in the knee. I've taken plenty of elbows to the face and body and the only one that actually hurt was when a male pro was playing the follower's role and demonstrating to my partner on how to turn and curtsey. His elbow to my head left me seeing stars.

14. wiseman

wiseman New Member

This happened to me at my Intermediate Salsa class last Wednesday. I was turning a girl and her head bumped into my arm. Thankfully it was the soft part of my arm and not my elbow. Yikes! But, it was only a minor hit, but it was actually my fault because I messed up the routine. The girl was so nice and understanding about it. I sincerely apologized to her and she laughed and said it's ok. And she made a joke about it by saying that Salsa dancing is more dangerous than she thought. She was so cool about it and I really admire that in her. But yes, she still gladly danced with me when she got to me again during the next rotation. And believe me, I tried not to make that mistake again. Thankfully, I didn't.

15. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Girls are pretty tough. They just tell all the guys that they're fragile, but they take hits just as well as the next guy.

16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

*giggle* Getting a visual. :shock: :lol:

17. chachachikka

chachachikka New Member

Oh my, if my dance partner stopped dancing with me because I hit him, I'd have no dance partner!

One time I hit him in the face, I felt so bad, but he claimed it was his fault because he brought my hand there and didn't move his face back. I let him take the blame for it.

But one time, I kicked him, and I'm pretty sure that was my fault. I was trying to get my leg wrapped around him, but I sorta missed the around part and went right into his stomach. Oops!

But then again, he has shouldered me in the nose/eyes - which I think was probably my fault. And I've slapped him across the cheek with the inside of my upper arm... one of the most odd ways to accidentally slap someone.

18. GoldStar

GoldStar Member

If you hit a girl you should say you are sorry in a funny way.. like umm you can say "Oh im so sorry" and after a minute "So that was my Karate.. let's go back to dancing?" laugh and wink.

If a girl hits me.. I will just make fun of it say I forgive her and hug her after.. "But next time you hit me I will fight back".