General Dance Discussion > Holland America seems to be deleting Ballroom Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by sudoplatov, Jun 5, 2016.

1. sudoplatov

sudoplatov Member

We have been crusing for years on Holland America. They had DWTS and we went on each final cruise. It was always fun as HAL had good dancing along with the other cruise amenities. On this cruise on the Oosterdam, we found that several of the dance floors had been carpeted over and that ballroom dancing was not going to be provided each night. We did not find this out before sailing or else we would have made other plans. We did cancel our future cruises with HAL and will be sailing with lines that do provide ballroom.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we did a 10 day cruise on the Oosterdam, for the itinerary, but were delighted to see that there was also ballroom each evening... even though it seemed reduced to one small floor, it was still a really nice perk for us...we too heard that they were discontinuing it and I am also very disappointed because there are nicer cruise lines than HAL, but we always consider them favorably due to the dancing....and I am truly puzzled because it was packed every night...I get wanting to appeal more to a younger crowd...but, for goodness sakes, don't throw your bread and butter crowd overboard...the two aren't mutually exclusive...and the older folks have far more money and time to cruise

Sania likes this.
  3. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I've done three on Princess and one on RCL, and all had dancing. I've never done HAL.

4. fascination

I have never done princess but I have done RCL more than once and what they offer in terms of dance is nowhere near what my 3 HAL cruises offered....it will be sad if they really go through with this...I cannot imagine that there won't be quite a ruckus raised over it

5. twnkltoz

Princess has a ballroom band and/or recorded ballroom music every night (at least on the Grand, which I was on just a few weeks ago), albeit on a small, kidney-shaped floor. There was also a "party band" where we could do swing and on country night they had reasonable country dancing music. Oh, and a latino band where we could do latin dances.

fascination likes this.
  6. fascination

good to know

7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Check Celebrity, aka "X".

8. fascination

@Loki I love celebrity...it is my favorite cruise line...it still doesn't offer as much in terms of dance as HAL always has

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Cunard was lovely. Dancing in the Queen's Room every night including at least one formal ball on each trip (as in you are asked to remain in your cabin or keep to the King's Court Buffet that night if you are not in black tie/evening attire), group lessons, privates available (I had a nice lesson in slow fox with the male pro of the ship's ballroom couple.) And very few young adults who can't behave themselves or families loaded down with screaming children (there were children, just none noticeably badly behaved.)

anntennis likes this.
  10. fascination

yes, it has come to my attention that, the longer and more expensive the cruise the better behaved the cruisers tend to be

11. fascination

though I have yet to experience Cunard

12. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

It seems a shame, since I went on several of the DWTS cruises with Holland and there was dancing about every evening. I do wonder if it has to do with the nature of ballroom dancers as opposed to club dancers. In my experience, ballroom dancers tend not to drink as much as club dancers, thus the ships and staff don't make as much money off them. And, since the ships tend to use the bar model for their operations, the small (tiny) dance floors are only there to encourage drink sales.

13. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

I haven't been on a cruise, but aren't drinks included anyway? Or does that vary?

14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I don't know about other cruise lines, but not Cunard. Alcohol is not included, nor are a few other things in some of the areas like the pub or Sir Samuel's or the Veuve Cliquot champagne lounge. But Cunard's deliberately different, even being owned by Carnival as a parent. Really, the second-most-common thing people on my cruise said to me, after "You're traveling alone? How brave!" (Uh, not in any sense of the word for sane people, but okay...) was "Oh, this is your first-ever cruise? Well, you've ruined yourself, none of the other big lines will ever be good enough." They really bend over backwards to live up to the Cunard-White Star names/legends. I just did one of their little trips, the Fourth of July NY-Halifax-Boston-NY, and it was probably my favorite vacation ever. Though I had to go back to Nova Scotia-Halifax was a shorter shore call than Boston and I didn't have time to see half of what I wanted! The dance hosts were so much fun-all older gentlemen, easy to dance with, fun personalities.

15. fascination

alcohol is not usually included...other drinks are

16. twnkltoz

Not on Princess or Royal Caribbean. I think coffee, iced tea, and juice at breakfast are included but that's it.

17. fascination

most that I have been on also include soda, lemonade and iced tea, at least the ones that are out on lido or in public dining machines...

18. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

Cruise line break even on the cruise. They only start to turn a profit if you buy drinks and gamble.

19. fascination

I find that hard to believe given the outrageous cost of everything from excursions to spa....seems to me that there is plenty of added charge that should more than cover real cost

20. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member