Country and Western > Holy COW! Polka is FUN!!

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by PasoDancer, Apr 5, 2006.

1. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

We saw it two weeks or more ago at a "RIVAL" (snicker) studio, and had no idea what it was- then we saw it danced to "real polka music", and I said "OMG- that looks like so much fun! We have to try that!"

Well, our studio doesn't teach it, but theirs does, so we took our first lesson there tonight. For the newb, it's physically exhausting, because we don't know how to utilize our bodies yet, but boy was it fun! We definitely are going to learn more.

I don't know what persuaded me to want to try it. I just... HAD to.

2. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

Yup, polka rocks my world :lol: I'm glad you, too, have discovered the wonders of polka!

3. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Polka is WAY more fun for the "non-ballroom" (predominantly country) venues than a fast samba, LOL.

4. dancenut

dancenut New Member

I love the Polka too! Did you do any arm patterns? Also..have you ever done the 10 count Polka? It's fun too! :)

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Polka rocks! Ten count?

6. Laura

Laura New Member

The very first partner dance I learned was Polka. I'm pretty sure I was in the third grade. I went down to the local Grange hall with some friends for a Friday night dance, and they taught us kids the polka. Man that was a long time ago. I even remember the name of the boy who I danced it with.

7. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

What the heck's 10-count? That sounds fun, too! Something to try after a Red Bull, though, Lol.

We just learned the basic polka box, a promenade with a turn into the skater handhold, and that's about it. Oh- the MC Hammer thing, heel-toe, heel-toe, MCHammer thing, heel toe heel toe, too.

I just can't wait to get in the middle of the floor, and start cutting a rug, Dumb and Dumber-style (who can forget The Introduction of That Awful Tux, Jed Clampett jig Carrey did?) when everyone's doing samba or something. Everyone would be to mortified to kick us out. Well, the one guy that dared us to would be trying to hold a video camera while wetting himself laughing.

Yes. This polka will definitely come in handy. We're taking a month's worth of lessons in it, and practicing it for thirty minutes every day. Oh- and hustle too! (we're going through a vintage period)

8. Laura

Laura New Member

Has anyone ever watched Big Al's Polka Show on the RFD channel on DirecTV? It's pretty funny if you're fond of polka and are up late consuming large quantities of wine and caffiene.

9. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

I love Big Joe's. RFD is so remarkably country though- you'd have to be wired on something to get it, LOL.

... were you thinking something like Big Gay Al's Big Gay Polka Jamboree or something? LOL

10. Laura

Laura New Member

Hahhaha. Yeah, I meant Big Joe's, but it came out all conflated with South Park. :)

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You have to be "wired" to even watch that show . . . I know, I tried. Lasted about 10 minutes . . .

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Dang! No. I have cable. Do tell. :cool:

13. new-ish

new-ish New Member

I liked Big Joe the couple of times I tuned in, but wondered (back off pc's) what it would be like with folks < octo's.