Ballroom Dance > Home Dance Floor Project

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DoubleBurt, Jun 18, 2015.

1. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the fascination with light colored carpet in apartments is just an excuse to keep cleaning deposits.

My old house had dark blue in most of the house, but for some insane reason, it also had carpet in the kitchen and bathrooms. The kitchen was at least a low-pile gray, more like an outdoor carpet, but the bathrooms were brand new blue shag that got ripped out within the first couple of months. No matter how many rugs and mats you have, carpet in a bathroom will get wet and mildew.

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

If one has issues with unsprung dance floors, why would one want to walk around on a hard floor at home?

OTOH, much easier to keep hardwood or tile clean and allergen free and I really prefer the look with nice area rugs.

3. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I hate beige carpet too, but mostly because I hate beige in general. Our last apartment was entirely beige, it was awful (chose it b/c it seemed quieter than the other option we were looking at).

Growing up, my house and relatives' houses had at least medium shade carpet, never white, off-white, beige, etc. When we moved into my childhood home, the living room carpet was orange (yay 70's) which was eventually replaced with a nice blue. Interestingly, the house had carpet in the kitchen (a brown/yellow/orange combo, also like outdoor carpet, still there) and in the bathroom (lime green, eventually replaced with... beige, though it looked good). All bedrooms had shag carpet that was eventually replaced, except my old room, still blue shag. For the relatives, one set of grandparents had pretty blue carpet and the other had brown. DH's childhood home has always had green carpet (it's been replaced, but always green).

Our house has dark emerald greenish carpet. It's nice that it doesn't show the dirt, but of course you can see light colored fuzz and crumbs.

I tend to think preferences are often a function of childhood experiences. Almost everyone I know had carpeting, so I was probably a young adult before I started seeing houses with hardwood floors and they seemed a lot less cozy to me. And the whole neutral palette thing was foreign to me since I grew up with all these crayola houses.

4. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

Rugs can be had that are as thick and fluffy as good carpet, but can still be drug down to the car wash and hosed out thoroughly.

5. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

For those using Greatmats, did you buy the sprung floor panel thingies?

6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of linseed oil. In our climate here in the South, it will absorb moisture and get sticky. I remember, from when I was a child, people's houses that had linseed oil finished paneling that was always sticky. Also, rags and paper towels soaked in linseed oil are prone to spontaneous combustion.

7. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

No, the basic vinyl/laminate tiles. I was looking at the sprung floors as well, but I found someone with the tiles on craigslist, so just got those. They are not bad, I practiced on them last night.

8. dancepro

dancepro Member

There is a floor company in California (Anaheim I think) that has dance floors. Google Junker Floors, USA and I am sure you can find it.

9. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

My problem is that they don't have even the basic holodeck technology yet. I want to fit a ballroom size floor in a 8x12 apartment room. Voice command to reconfigure it as a dojo, racquetball court or boxing ring would be a great bonus, but I'd settle for the dance floor.

Joe and scullystwin42 like this.
  10. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Hmm, AND a holodeck could provide a practice partner. I like where this is going...

scullystwin42 and JoeB like this.
  11. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

"Computer, use skill template Ginger Rogers and physical template Denise Richards 20 years ago."

Joe and scullystwin42 like this.
  12. DoubleBurt

DoubleBurt Member

13. scullystwin42

Related to this: Mirrors are NOT CHEAP. I've looked at the glassless mirrors that have an ad here and via google, but it looks like $200 is about the lowest for something like 6'x4'. anyone have ideas where to get deals on mirrors?

14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Habitat for Humanity resale stores?
    Wonder if Tile Outlet or similar sells mirrors.

15. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

Lumberyard or whoever sells glass near you. Many have regular glass mirror as a bulk product just like window glass. They can sell you all the hardware to hang it, and teach you how to carry it safely too. The trick is getting it home; you can't just toss it on the roof rack. Some stores will deliver, or you can have the width cut to sit flat between the wheelwell humps of whatever truck you can get your hands on.

Also, ask around with remodeling contractors; they may either keep mirrors they've pulled from clients or know who salvages such things locally. The ones that do clothing stores especially may know where you can get some large frameless mirrors with minor scuffs or chips cheap.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  16. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

i bought them unframed and build a frame out of 2x4s. Much less tha 200. You can also fasten them to the wall with cheap mirror clips.

17. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

Suddenly I have a mental image of some dancer with a pile of 1" mirror tiles gluing them all over a wall and trying to get them anywhere near flat.

18. rels77

rels77 Active Member

I got mine from Gigantic Mirrors dot com. see m picture above. it was $350 installed. awesomely easy.

scullystwin42 likes this.
  19. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

20. scullystwin42

great, thanks for the tip!