General Dance Discussion > Home dance floor

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 31, 2017.

1. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

We recently bought a house (hurray!) and are remodeling it (oh, my back and knees!). The plan is to put vinyl laminate floors throughout to have that pretty, easy-care wood look that is waterproof because dogs and klutzes. The plan also includes one room of the house serving as a dance floor for me. Any suggestions as far as underlayment or finishing? Choosing a different type of floor isn't really an option, so the thing is to make this one as comfortable and safe to dance on as possible. Thanks!

2. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Is your dance room in the basement or upper floor? Looking for temporary or permanent? Also did you mean that the dance floor will be vinyl? (You mentioned something about finishing.)

Loki likes this.
  3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Big difference between concrete subfloor and plywood or OSB on joists.

RiseNFall likes this.
  4. twnkltoz

Good questions. The dance floor will be on the bottom floor, which is concrete. When I said "finishing," I was wondering if I need some kind of top coat stuff on it to get the right surface. I'm not stating that very well. This will be our permanent floor.

5. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Agreed that what surface you are starting with (concrete slab vs. plywood) will make a difference. My general recommendation is to figure out a way to make is as soft/springy as possible to reduce wear and tear on your joints.

Are you sure you can't get a different floor covering for that room? I am thinking you will want the dance floor more slippery (so you can turn and move easily) than the rest of the house, where you may want some traction to avoid slips and falls for the people (and even the dogs). Can you at least get a different variety of laminate for that room, so you can find the surface texture (appropriate balance between slippery and grippy) for a dance floor??

6. twnkltoz

7. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

If your base floor is concrete, you may want to build a subfloor on top of that. I don't know details of how to do that, but generally, you would have a plywood floor raised above the concrete in some way. You may also need to figure out moisture issues since you're going right on top of the concrete - the floor will need to breathe with different weather conditions, I think.

Sorry I don't have any real experience, just some things for you to think about.

8. twnkltoz

That's why I'm posting here--to find the best option to do that.

We want the whole house waterproof, so no.

9. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Take a look at DriCore. Run you about $1.50 per square foot. But easy to install and will save you grief later if your basement has a small leak.

twnkltoz likes this.
  10. twnkltoz

No basement. This part of the house is slightly raised, so leakage isn't likely to be a problem.

I'm hoping a nice thick underlayment will do the trick.

11. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Dri Core is supposed to be good, but no personal experience. The other usual approach is to lay plywood on 2x4 stringers. You'll likely need a 5-10 mil plastic vapor barrier under the built-up subfloor.

Dunno about other methods. I'd commence in to Googlin' and check your library for home reno books. See also DIY Chatroom.

twnkltoz likes this.
  12. twnkltoz

Thanks. I was hoping to get the dancer perspective from someone who's done this before.

13. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with what you are doing, but I'll pass on what happens when I practice on my home floor. If I practice a lot in one place it gets slicker--almost like my suede bottom dance shoes are polishing it. Fine for me, but it gets slippery enough that I worry about somebody like my mother. Mine is hardwood with a polyurethane finish, so just something to watch for.

twnkltoz likes this.
  14. Mia

Mia New Member

First off, I really envy you having your own dance floor in your own home. How cool!!!!!
    This is one home renovation project I would be super excited about.

I'm no expert but some people I've talked to have installed a foam underlay underneath their floor tiles to make it softer with a bit of cushioning. I'm new to this forum and don't have sufficient privileges to post a link but perhaps you can go to the Amazon website and search for a product called "Serenity Foam Underlayment for Laminate Flooring".

I hope that helps! Good luck with your great project.

twnkltoz likes this.
  15. twnkltoz

Thank you! I'll look for that.

16. twnkltoz

Oh, and welcome!

17. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Definitely agree that you need some kind of sub-floor to give that "springy" protection to your joints and feet.

That said...I am not a fan AT ALL of vinyl/laminate flooring as a dance surface. Admittedly, in a home they can look just like hardwood, are far more durable, and are certainly waterproof. But as a dance surface they are generally horribly inferior, and not just because they are hard. I find laminate/vinyl incredibly slippery, impossible to get a good grip on my shoes, have tiny seams in strange places, and just a very awkward feel of "plastic" under my feet (or directly against my feet, when I'm wearing latin shoes). I generally prefer dancing on concrete over laminate - no joke. My practicing goes way down when laminate floors are my only option, which is why I have a portable practice floor built of hardwood in the garage, despite an entire house covered in laminate flooring.

18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Could you share some details of your practice floor - homemade, purchased, construction, section sizes?

Never thought of putting a portable floor in my garage - half of it's empty (lightbulb moment) anyway aside from some storage.

19. Dance_Business

Dance_Business New Member

Unsure of the rules around this response... I own DanceFloorUSA.com
    We sell floors all over the country. So here are a few no cost thoughts:
    1. The downside of laminate is if it flexes too much, it will come apart. Your best bet is to follow the manufacturer instructions for cushion. You will have no recourse.
    2. Our floors are not water proof, but a typical spill is no issue. We have our dog(and occasionally others) in the studio. Our flooring has been used in PF Chang's restaurants, and I expect they take more of a beating than your dance space will!
    3. If you want a soft, fully floating, hardwood floor, with a 25 year warranty from the manufacturer... Get in touch.

20. twnkltoz

Thanks, all. This is our family's home first and my dance floor second, so I have to work within limits and make the best of what I have--not to mention cost is a factor. We got the top-of-the-line underlayment and will see how it goes. In a couple years when everyone moves out, I can reevaluate and rebuild it with the ideal material.