General Dance Discussion > Homosexual Dancers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Define "newbie" and "youngster," lol.

My answer to all of it is a big, general Whatever.

Do I care if they dance together? No, why should I. Do I care if they ask me to dance? No, why should I...a leader is a leader is a leader, and so long as they're not unpleasant for other reasons it beats sitting. Coming on to me? Well, I'm married, so that changes things a bit. But no different than if a straight guy came on to me. Showing affection? After a certain point there's a degree of "go get a room," but that has nothing to do with the genders of the people involved.

Who cares? There are bigger issues in life than gay people dancing together.

2. QQS_Girl

QQS_Girl New Member

hey all. love the topic, and i've had a great time reading through everyone's posts.

i actually teach a group class for a local glbt dance club(where there are also a few hetero dancers), and also coach their dance team. i've found that this is a typical group class: some people are good, some are.....not so much. =) the class and team are made up of primarily gay men, but i do have a lesbian couple in the class. i've never felt awkward dancing w/either of them, leading or following. as to "worrying" about one of them hitting on me, this has never happened. if it ever did, i would treat it just like i would if a straight male hit on me. if i am interested, i let them know, if i am not, i let them know. simple. in fact, the hardest thing about teaching the class for me is remembering to not use "him" and "her" when describing the leader and follower!

the question of dancing with someone of the same sex when i am out social dancing is simple. if someone asks me to dance, i will. we are all out there to have fun and dance, and someone's sexual orientation has no bearing on their ability to do that. i love to lead, so i will also ask other women to dance. (i am pretty young (21) and i think that for some reason it is more acceptable for young ppl to dance w/the same sex for some reason...especially girls. just a thought to throw out there.) and if a man wants to practice leading, i would jump at the chance to lead him. the question was asked what you think of a same sex couple out dancing socially. who cares? if who someone is dancing with concerns you, then you're sitting around too much. go ask someone to dance and get out on the floor! i'm sure you'll forget all about it.

sorry about the book! =)
    -gretchen

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

exactly. like, whether or not a guy shaves his pits.:cool:

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

You know, I don't even care about that. I guess I kind of like it when I see it, but I'm more interested in what other areas he shaves.

I was thinking, there are more important issues in life...like what am I going to wear to go AT dancing this evening?

I will put this out there and admit that I have not always been so comfortable. It wasn't until my second year of college, when my roommate at the time was bi, that I became comfortable with not-straight people. I have to give her credit...she took pretty much everything in stride and we spent a lot of time talking. She's been my absolute best friend for the last 10 years.

5. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

ditto - :uplaugh:

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

:mrgreen::twisted: We're SO going to get this thread locked. :mrgreen:

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

no, still in safe zone... heh

i could stay to push it to the fringes but... gotta get my but movin'.

8. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

BTDT - dancing int'l standard in contact with heterosexual men, heterosexual women, homosexual men, homosexual women.
    No.

9. reb

reb Active Member

We just read on another thread about Bill Maher baiting Bruno on tv . . .

Tritto

10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: Actually, whether he waxes or not is more of interest to me! :lol:

(It may be a generalisation, but men are notoriously nervous about waxing :lol:)

11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

12. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

I am pleased that my opinion must chime in with the majority here... and say that I'm just happy people are dancing, gender is of no consiquense to me in determining whether I enjoy dancing with someone or not. Unfortunately I'm not skilled enough to lead yet or I'd be running around dancing with everybody myself!

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

In our area only once have I been asked to dance by another woman - she was more than a foot shorter but since it was latin this was not a real issue and I must say she led beautifully. After a class I did once suggested trying to lead a woman who is an advanced (open) dancer and I thought would be open minded. Her expression could best be described as 'deer in the headlights' shock and I won't repeat her reply. People are very conservative here - or at least at the studios I go to (there are more open minded ones I'm sure). So, even if one learned to lead I don't know where one would excersize the skill - maybe one could find a guy that wants to learn to follow!

14. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

At the studio I frequent most the gal instructors will ask the female students to dance if there is an overabundance of female students present at a social... and they are all fair to good leads, (the majority are overwhelmingly shorter than myself so I know where you're coming from EE)... if I could lead I know the students at that studio could handle my asking... and I know a lot of the male pros would totally ham it up if I asked them!

15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Or you could come to Toronto and shock the very foundations of ballroom :)

16. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

ooo.. sign me up... I'm all about shaking foundations!

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Hmm, now that could be easily misread by Some of Our Readers :roll:

18. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

I have danced with male instructors as part of a lesson, but I ask ladies to dance at social dances. Never been asked by a guy, and would likely turn it down. Same sex couples are ok on the social dance floor to me, but I have rarely seen this.

19. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

LOL!!! You are the double entenre police for sure!

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member