General Dance Discussion > Homosexual Dancers

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Dec 18, 2003.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

What a great point of view! Would this affect the judging do you think? I would like to think not - there might be an argument against same-sex couples in ballroom (though personally I think it is weak) but doing the same for opposite (physical) sex couples would be unabashed discrimination.

2. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Yeah, I think it's ridiculous that in this day and age that dance competitions, or "pairs skating" for that matter...that it can't just include couples period, whomever that couple might consist of. But I think unfortunately there could always be judges with a bias, so yeah, it could affect people's scores...

3. kayak

kayak Active Member

Silton and Morrison are a same sex showcase swing "couple". The end result is a very different presentation and dance from a male-female couple even if they are doing the same moves. Figuring out how to balance a guys strength from a ladies grace should give most judges a headache.

4. meow

meow New Member

Here in Ozland, we have many male gay dancers who are partnered with females in both latin and ballroom sections. In many cases their sexual orientation is obvious amd no-one thinks anything of it. It doesn't affect the markings at all. I don't know of any gay females though - I'm sure there are some but perhaps they keep that to themselves more than men.
    As for 'gay comps' though, most people, gay and straight, aren't interested. I don't know why; perhaps that is too far out of the 'ballroom competition proper?'

5. Cashmere

Cashmere New Member

Hi, I'd like to jump in here, I'm a little confused too.

Why would it matter if a straight woman dances with a gay male or vice versa?

I'm straight, married and my teacher/partner/pro is a gay man. I'm very happy with this. I think it's great. I can be myself, my hubby doesn't have to be jealous for all the time we spend together alone (private lessons) and I don't have to worry about anything other than dancing.

I think it should not matter, the only thing that should matter is the dance

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Re why skating doesn't allow similar pairs--beside tradition and looks, you'd have to completely rework all the elements and values, because unless you went for disturbing butch/femme looks (waify boy/muscle man stereotype partners) simialar pairs couldn't perform the same elements. The throw jumps MIGHT work, but you're not going to pull off, say, a split triple twist with two partners the same general size. Two women--chances are neither's going to have the upper-body strength for overhead lifts. Most MEN don't. So allowing similar pairs in elegible comps would require a total revamp of the competition. At this point, with quad throws and the kind of twists the Chinese are doing, that would be technical regression and it's not the way the sport's headed.

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

And odds are the men who can lift a woman don't have the strength to lift a man. ;)

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thats all very well - but its only talking odds. Say you had a strong male and a light male partner what then? Should they be allowed to compete?

Its particularly interesting in Canada because with equal rights I suspect that if a same sex couple challenged the rules they would collapse out of the fear (almost certain I would guess) that the law suit would be lost. Its just odd that it has not happened till now.

By the way, gay/straight (M/F) dance partnershps have been common for many years and many were only superficially hidden - I guess it was more a 'don't ask don't tell' policy. Now, as mentioned, it can be quite in the open - but still male/female.

9. Cashmere

Cashmere New Member

Wow, I'm totally surprised at hearing this. I would never have guessed that it would matter to anyone if a person was straight or gay. I'm not arguing the point, I hope you know that, I'm just totally surprised if they were m/f partner why it would even come up or need to come up or whatever. This is really something I never gave any thought to at all. ;)

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I think the consensus it that it should not matter and in general it does not matter. However, the observation that we have yet to have an openly gay person contribute to the discussion seems to indicate that there may yet be some stigma there.

11. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

well I wouldnt care so much if it didnt result in the men not asking me to dance. who wants to go to a dance and just sit there? or to just dance with one woman the entire night because everyone assumes you prefer to dance with her? i love gay men and have no problem with gay women, but when it comes to ballroom I prefer to dance mostly with men and just occasionally with women.

OT to fascination: just was able to start lessons two weeks ago with local instructor that came highly recommended by you, and he is indeed wonderful. has just the right mix of humor and seriousness and technique and the best thing is, he can totally come at things from the woman's perspective, which makes it sooo much easier to understand. My goal is to be doing bronze standard with him at the Atlanta Open. (crossing fingers)

Back OT: I love (and prefer) dancing with gay men...you never have to worry about them hitting on you and you KNOW they are there just to dance. :)

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lol...well...1) there are so many reasons I don't get asked to dance that I don't really mind the risk of yet one more 2)I am so happy you have found my advice to be sound...I adore him...and he isn't likely to hit on you either, he has an equally wonderful SO..3)as for whom I prefer to dance with well...any good lead will do, eye candy is a bonus, the possibility that he might be thinking likewise about me, uber bonus...